Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Cali PN and Wachau GV

A matching mistake, Betsy had said we were having salmon, so I pulled
out a Pinot Noir. Problem was the recipe she used steams the salmon
with chard and caramelized onions, does much better with whites. But I
already had the cork pulled on the 2002 Williams-Selyem Sonoma County
Pinot Noir. Red kirschy fruit, a little blackberry, a little earth.
Tannins are mostly integrated, the acids seem a little spikey. The
fruit is a little candied. Decent, not exciting. B-
(my early inclination is that is ready and needs to be drunk up.
But...it actually held up, and is better on day 2. Hmmm, what to do
with other 2?).

Sunday afternoon I prepped dinner, made an appearance to thank
volunteers at a benefit concert, but then headed to White Plains where
Betsy was leading cello section in a small string orchestra. Theme was
film composers and those that influenced them, sinfoniettas by
Bernard Hermann and Franz Waxman, and then Verklarte Nacht by
Schoenberg.
Afterwards I rushed home to do pork chops with a mustard/sage sauce,
with potatoes, salad, and some grilled vegetables. In honor of
Schoenberg, we went with an Austrian wine, the 2002 FX Pichler "Von
den Terrassen" Gruner Veltliner Smaragd. Peppery/ floral nose, ripe
peach and melon fruit on the palate backed by firm acidity. Nice
length, clean finish. With some time there's a little Riesling-like
petrol note, but there's also some pea and white pepper to show it's
GV-ness.
Nice wine, not one of Pichler's more expensive bottlings, but doing
well at 7- drinks nicely, but no hurry. A-/B+

*

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 30, 10:00�am, DaleW > wrote:
> A matching mistake, Betsy had said we were having salmon, so I pulled
> out a Pinot Noir. Problem was the recipe she used steams the salmon
> with chard and caramelized onions, does much better with whites. But I
> already had the cork pulled on the 2002 Williams-Selyem Sonoma County
> Pinot Noir. � Red kirschy fruit, a little blackberry, a little earth.
> Tannins are mostly integrated, the acids seem a little spikey. The
> fruit is a little candied. Decent, not exciting. B-
> (my early inclination is that is ready and needs to be drunk up.
> But...it actually held up, and is better on day 2. Hmmm, what to do
> with other 2?).
>
> Sunday afternoon I prepped dinner, made an appearance to thank
> volunteers at a benefit concert, but then headed to White Plains where
> Betsy was leading cello section in a small string orchestra. Theme was
> film composers and those that influenced them, sinfoniettas by
> Bernard Hermann and Franz Waxman, and then Verklarte Nacht by
> Schoenberg.
> Afterwards I rushed home to do pork chops with a mustard/sage sauce,
> with potatoes, salad, and some grilled vegetables. In honor of
> Schoenberg, we went with an Austrian wine, the 2002 FX Pichler "Von
> den Terrassen" Gruner Veltliner Smaragd. Peppery/ floral nose, ripe
> peach and melon fruit on the palate backed by firm acidity. Nice
> length, clean finish. With some time there's a little Riesling-like
> petrol note, but there's also some pea and white pepper to show it's
> GV-ness.
> Nice wine, not one of Pichler's more expensive bottlings, but doing
> well at 7- drinks nicely, but no hurry. A-/B+
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> �

I've never had a WS Pinot that blew me away. I find many of them a
bit candied and for the most part they never seem to deliver much.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Cali PN and Wachau GV

"DaleW" > wrote in message

Sunday afternoon I prepped dinner, made an appearance to thank
volunteers at a benefit concert, but then headed to White Plains where
Betsy was leading cello section in a small string orchestra. Theme was
film composers and those that influenced them, sinfoniettas by
Bernard Hermann and Franz Waxman, and then Verklarte Nacht by
Schoenberg.

Since you speak often re concerts, I will ask if you know the answer to my
question.

"Alessandro Marcello's small but distinguished musical output includes a
concerto in D minor for oboe, strings and basso continuo, published about
1717 at Amsterdam in a concerto anthology and transcribed by J.S. Bach as
concerto for solo harpsichord in D minor (as BWV 974), presumably from an
earlier manuscript."

Question: """""""I wonder if the Adagio (on stage, not recording) in the
Concerto in D minor is ever played by PIANO."""""

I see that Glenn Gould is playing here at 4:48 min.

http://www.amazon.com/Adagio-Concert...99119&sr=102-3

although the sound quality is not that great, compared to another recording
(piano) at 1:45 min.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...ernetmoviedat/

Thanks,
Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 30, 10:26*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Mar 30, 10:00 am, DaleW > wrote:
>

> > A matching mistake, Betsy had said we were having salmon, so I pulled
> > out a Pinot Noir. Problem was the recipe she used steams the salmon
> > with chard and caramelized onions, does much better with whites. But I
> > already had the cork pulled on the 2002 Williams-Selyem Sonoma County
> > Pinot Noir. Red kirschy fruit, a little blackberry, a little earth.
> > Tannins are mostly integrated, the acids seem a little spikey. The
> > fruit is a little candied. Decent, not exciting. B-
> > (my early inclination is that is ready and needs to be drunk up.
> > But...it actually held up, and is better on day 2. Hmmm, what to do
> > with other 2?).

> > Sunday afternoon I prepped dinner, made an appearance to thank
> > volunteers at a benefit concert, but then headed to White Plains where
> > Betsy was leading cello section in a small string orchestra. Theme was
> > film composers and those that influenced them, sinfoniettas by
> > Bernard Hermann and Franz Waxman, and then Verklarte Nacht by
> > Schoenberg.
> > Afterwards I rushed home to do pork chops with a mustard/sage sauce,
> > with potatoes, salad, and some grilled vegetables. In honor of
> > Schoenberg, we went with an Austrian wine, the 2002 FX Pichler "Von
> > den Terrassen" Gruner Veltliner Smaragd. Peppery/ floral nose, ripe
> > peach and melon fruit on the palate backed by firm acidity. Nice
> > length, clean finish. With some time there's a little Riesling-like
> > petrol note, but there's also some pea and white pepper to show it's
> > GV-ness.
> > Nice wine, not one of Pichler's more expensive bottlings, but doing
> > well at 7- drinks nicely, but no hurry. A-/B+

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> >

> I've never had a WS Pinot that blew me away. *I find many of them a
> bit candied and for the most part they never seem to deliver much.

I've liked quite few, but none blew me away. But Cali PN is not a big
interest to me overall. I do generally like the wines, and can always
put a piece of tape over the Selyem when serving at family
gatherings.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 30, 11:10*am, "Dee Randall" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message

> Sunday afternoon I prepped dinner, made an appearance to thank
> volunteers at a benefit concert, but then headed to White Plains where
> Betsy was leading cello section in a small string orchestra. Theme was
> film composers and those that influenced them, sinfoniettas by
> Bernard Hermann and Franz Waxman, and then Verklarte Nacht by
> Schoenberg.
>
> Since you speak often re concerts, I will ask if you know the answer to my
> question.
>
> "Alessandro Marcello's small but distinguished musical output includes a
> concerto in D minor for oboe, strings and basso continuo, published about
> 1717 at Amsterdam in a concerto anthology and transcribed by J.S. Bach as
> concerto for solo harpsichord in D minor (as BWV 974), presumably from an
> earlier manuscript."
>
> Question: *"""""""I wonder if the Adagio (on stage, not recording) in the
> Concerto in D minor is ever played by PIANO."""""
>
> I see that Glenn Gould is playing here at 4:48 min.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Adagio-Concert...Marcello/dp/B0...
>
> although the sound quality is not that great, compared to another recording
> (piano) at 1:45 min.http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...ernetmoviedat/
>
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

Never heard of the piece, but if transcribed for keyboard and recorded
by Gould, I am sure someone has played it in concert. I'm not the
musician, will try to remember to ask my wife if she is familiar with
it.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message

> already had the cork pulled on the 2002 Williams-Selyem Sonoma County
> Pinot Noir. Red kirschy fruit, a little blackberry, a little earth.
> Tannins are mostly integrated, the acids seem a little spikey. The
> fruit is a little candied. Decent, not exciting. B-
> (my early inclination is that is ready and needs to be drunk up.
> But...it actually held up, and is better on day 2. Hmmm, what to do
> with other 2?).

Dale, I wonder if you could expand on your term "candied"? Do you mean
over-sweet or perhaps tasting of caramel? No argument, just interest.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 30, 12:31*pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message
>

> > already had the cork pulled on the 2002 Williams-Selyem Sonoma County
> > Pinot Noir. * Red kirschy fruit, a little blackberry, a little earth.
> > Tannins are mostly integrated, the acids seem a little spikey. The
> > fruit is a little candied. Decent, not exciting. B-
> > (my early inclination is that is ready and needs to be drunk up.
> > But...it actually held up, and is better on day 2. Hmmm, what to do
> > with other 2?).

> Dale, I wonder if you could expand on your term "candied"? Do you mean
> over-sweet or perhaps tasting of caramel? No argument, just interest.
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

James,
I use "candied" when there seems to be a sweetness to the fruit in a
wine that isn't quite...integral. I'm thinking of those little fruit
pieces (glacee?) or maybe candied apples (not caramel apples, which
would have that darker caramel edge). I'm not saying the fruit is
necessarily sweeter, it just has a sugary edge (as opposed to really
ripe fruit, which can be just as sweet). I wonder if it's a function
of alcohol- I'll look at the WS bottle tonight to check level.
Thinking about it, even very sweet Chateauneuf-du-Papes seldom seem
candied to me. I mostly think of it as something one finds in Pinot,
or maybe Syrah.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 30, 1:28�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Mar 30, 12:31�pm, "James Silverton" >
> wrote:
>

> > "DaleW" > wrote in message

> > > already had the cork pulled on the 2002 Williams-Selyem Sonoma County
> > > Pinot Noir. � Red kirschy fruit, a little blackberry, a little earth.
> > > Tannins are mostly integrated, the acids seem a little spikey. The
> > > fruit is a little candied. Decent, not exciting. B-
> > > (my early inclination is that is ready and needs to be drunk up.
> > > But...it actually held up, and is better on day 2. Hmmm, what to do
> > > with other 2?).

> > Dale, I wonder if you could expand on your term "candied"? Do you mean
> > over-sweet or perhaps tasting of caramel? No argument, just interest.
> > --

> > James Silverton
> > Potomac, Maryland

> James,
> I use "candied" when there seems to be a sweetness to the fruit in a
> wine that isn't quite...integral. I'm thinking of those little fruit
> pieces (glacee?) or maybe candied apples (not caramel apples, which
> would have that darker caramel edge). �I'm not saying the fruit is
> necessarily sweeter, it just has a sugary edge (as opposed to really
> ripe fruit, which can be just as sweet). I wonder if it's a function
> of alcohol- I'll look at the WS bottle tonight to check level.
> Thinking about it, even very sweet Chateauneuf-du-Papes seldom seem
> candied to me. I mostly think of it as something one finds in Pinot,
> or maybe Syrah.- Hide quoted text -

When I think of "candied" I think of the sugary shell on a candied
apple but not in the sense of the sugar but in the sense of the
interplay between the sugar and the tart fruit. I find this "candied
apple" note in a lot of New World Pinot Noirs.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
[...]

A flinty, dry white would be appropriate for later Schoenberg but Verklarte
Nacht demands a fruit-forward, Parker bomb{;-)
BTW has Betsy recorded it?
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 30, 1:41*pm, "graham" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message

> A matching mistake, Betsy had said we were having salmon, so I pulled
> out a Pinot Noir. Problem was the recipe she used steams the salmon
> with chard and caramelized onions, does much better with whites. But I
> already had the cork pulled on the 2002 Williams-Selyem Sonoma County
> Pinot Noir. * Red kirschy fruit, a little blackberry, a little earth.
> Tannins are mostly integrated, the acids seem a little spikey. The
> fruit is a little candied. Decent, not exciting. B-
> (my early inclination is that is ready and needs to be drunk up.
> But...it actually held up, and is better on day 2. Hmmm, what to do
> with other 2?).
>
> Sunday afternoon I prepped dinner, made an appearance to thank
> volunteers at a benefit concert, but then headed to White Plains where
> Betsy was leading cello section in a small string orchestra. Theme was
> film composers and those that influenced them, sinfoniettas by
> Bernard Hermann and Franz Waxman, and then Verklarte Nacht by
> Schoenberg.
> Afterwards I rushed home to do pork chops with a mustard/sage sauce,
> with potatoes, salad, and some grilled vegetables. In honor of
> Schoenberg, we went with an Austrian wine, the 2002 FX Pichler "Von
> den Terrassen" Gruner Veltliner Smaragd.
> __________________________________________________ ________
>
> A flinty, dry white would be appropriate for later Schoenberg *but Verklarte
> Nacht demands a fruit-forward, Parker bomb{;-)
> BTW has Betsy recorded it?
> Graham

No, she has played before, but never recorded.
If it makes you feel better about the wine match, this was the 1943
version for string orchestra, not the original. Not really 12 tone,
but some dischord stirred into the romance.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

>> A flinty, dry white would be appropriate for later Schoenberg but Verklarte
>> Nacht demands a fruit-forward, Parker bomb{;-)
>> BTW has Betsy recorded it?
>> Graham

> No, she has played before, but never recorded.
> If it makes you feel better about the wine match, this was the 1943
> version for string orchestra, not the original. Not really 12 tone,
> but some dischord stirred into the romance.

That's probably a good thing. My initial thought about Verklärte Nacht
was that one should eschew wine altogether and instead seek out some
Xanax to counterbalance the music.

Mark Lipton
(Still a slave to tonality, sadly)
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> DaleW wrote:
>
>>> A flinty, dry white would be appropriate for later Schoenberg but
>>> Verklarte
>>> Nacht demands a fruit-forward, Parker bomb{;-)
>>> BTW has Betsy recorded it?
>>> Graham

>> No, she has played before, but never recorded.
>> If it makes you feel better about the wine match, this was the 1943
>> version for string orchestra, not the original. Not really 12 tone,
>> but some dischord stirred into the romance.

> That's probably a good thing. My initial thought about Verklärte Nacht
> was that one should eschew wine altogether and instead seek out some
> Xanax to counterbalance the music.
>
> Mark Lipton
> (Still a slave to tonality, sadly)
> --

Could one link wine with composers?
Chopin - PN
Ravel & Debussy - Sancerre
Beethoven - Left Bank claret
Brahms - Barolo
etc:
Bach? Hmmmm! Elliot Carter - anything to anaesthetize as quickly as
possible!
Graham

TN: Good wines- 2 Cali, 1 Chablis, 1 Wachau DaleW Wine 0 10-07-2013 05:21 PM
[TN] '09 Domäne Wachau GV Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 28-03-2011 03:06 AM
TN: Bdx, CA, NM, and Wachau DaleW Wine 0 13-12-2010 01:54 PM
[TN] '06 Domäne Wachau Grüner Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 12-05-2008 09:24 PM
TN: 04 Domane Wachau GV DaleW Wine 0 16-08-2006 06:56 PM