Posted to alt.food.wine

Default HdV wines of Napa

On my last day in Napa stopped at a place,(needed reservation) HdV.

One of the servers at French Laundry said it was a must visit place. It
was.

They grow on a area high above valley, but in Caneros. The soil is Clay
over Bedrock..great drainage and less rain that rest of valley.

The Syrah was the most French I have had in the Valley. Upon first aromas,
beef, mushroom,...incredible flavors however...NOT a fruit bomb...well
balalnced.

HdV is a partership with Larry Hyde and The Villaine family of DRC ( Dom
Romanee Conti)....

Anyone else here try them?

Posted to alt.food.wine

Richard wrote on Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:44:58 -0500:

> The Syrah was the most French I have had in the Valley. Upon first
> aromas, beef, mushroom,...incredible flavors
> however...NOT a fruit bomb...well balalnced.

Sometimes, I stand amazed at the flavors that people find in wines but
"beef and mushrooms" are incredible aromas that would scare me away!
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.wine

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Richard wrote on Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:44:58 -0500:
>
>> The Syrah was the most French I have had in the Valley. Upon first
>> aromas, beef, mushroom,...incredible flavors
>> however...NOT a fruit bomb...well balalnced.

> Sometimes, I stand amazed at the flavors that people find in wines but
> "beef and mushrooms" are incredible aromas that would scare me away!
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Sounds typically California wine to me :-)) No need to get a-scared.
Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

> They grow on a area high above valley, but in Caneros. The soil is Clay
> over Bedrock..great drainage and less rain that rest of valley.
>

> Anyone else here try them?

I've never tried them. And not to be pickey - I want to understand
what you mean - how do you get great drainage with clay soils? Do
they mean that what rainfall they get drains off over the clay soil?

Posted to alt.food.wine

They are on sloping hills, the base is bedrock, then about 2-3 feet of clay
soil on top. Not a typical parcel.

"Ronin" > wrote in message

>> They grow on a area high above valley, but in Caneros. The soil is Clay
>> over Bedrock..great drainage and less rain that rest of valley.
>>

>> Anyone else here try them?

> I've never tried them. And not to be pickey - I want to understand what
> you mean - how do you get great drainage with clay soils? Do they mean
> that what rainfall they get drains off over the clay soil?

Posted to alt.food.wine

Richard Neidich wrote:

> HdV is a partership with Larry Hyde and The Villaine family of DRC ( Dom
> Romanee Conti)....
>
> Anyone else here try them?

Yep. I had their '04 Hyde Vyd Chardonnay, which I found way too oaky
for my tastes. Larry Hyde, BTW, is the father-in-law of Aubert de
Villaine, which helps explain the partnership.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 24, 5:44�pm, "Richard Neidich" > wrote:
> On my last day in Napa stopped at a place,(needed reservation) �HdV.
>
> One of the servers at French Laundry said it was a must visit place. �It
> was.
>
> They grow on a area high above valley, but in Caneros. �The soil is Clay
> over Bedrock..great drainage and less rain that rest of valley.
>
> The Syrah was the most French I have had in the Valley. �Upon first aromas,
> beef, mushroom,...incredible flavors however...NOT a fruit bomb...well
> balalnced.
>
> HdV is a partership with Larry Hyde and The Villaine family of DRC ( Dom
> Romanee Conti)....
>
> Anyone else here try them?

Many times. I am a fan of their Chardonnay and Syrah.
Posted to alt.food.wine

There are two different Chardonnay...one of which is non oaked,
stainless..and no MAL