Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Wines with cassoulet (for Ian H)

Tonight was our annual cassoulet dinner, celebrating the depths of
winter and, this year in a bittersweet twist, the retirement of my
comrade-in-arms Bartow (our chemistry librarian) who has made and
supplied saucisse de Toulouse for this event for many years now.
Bartow, though soon to depart for a life in France, supplied not only
the sausage again this year, but some excellent lingot beans that he
purchased this Fall in France. With the cassoulet, I served several wines:

2007 Schloss Gobelsburg Steinsetz Grüner Veltliner
nose: minerals, honey, white stonefruit
palate: good acidity, medium body, honey and fruit

2007 Leitz "Einz Zwei Dry" Riesling
nose: lime and stones
palate: dry, crisp, muted finish

1999 Ch. Montus Madiran "Prestige"
nose: horsey Brett aromas, dark, plummy fruit
palate: soft tannins, decent acidity, Brett

2001 Ch. La Roque "Cupa Numismae" Pic St. Loup
nose: oak, blueberries
palate: soft entry, medium body, fruity

2006 Kim Crawford Pinot Noir Marlborough
nose: smoke, tart cherry
palate: soft acidity, smoky fruit

Of the red wines, the Montus was the hands-down favorite match for the
cassoulet despite its Bretty showing tonight. All in all, a fun meal
and a great way to wish Bartow a happy future in France.

Mark Lipton

The white wines were consumed for the most part with our limited
appetizers. Of the red wines