Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: lesser '05 Bdx and Piedmont, '07 Loire

Betsy and her mom returned Wed, Betsy said she was glad to be back in
her kitchen. She made kale soup with proscuitto, roast chicken, and a
green salad with beets. Opened the 2005 Produttori del Barbaresco
Langhe Nebbiolo , nice wine. Bright acidity, bright red cherry and
raspberry fruit, earth. Not much weight, tannins there but not
bothersome, a nice lighter styled Nebbiolo. The following night I
was taking some Google staff on a run, so only had a half glass of the
leftovers with dinner ( spaghetti with Bolognese, kale, and a bok
choy salad with pears). Holding up amazingly well, little obvious
oxidation, Cranapple fruit with mushroom and leather. Still on lighter
side, not giving a serious Barolo a run for the money, but a fine $15
Nebbiolo. B/B+

When I got in late that night, I tried a glass of the white Betsy had
used for the sauce, the 2007 Clos Roche Blanche Sauvignon Blanc #2
(Touraine).
Good acidity, gooseberry and lemon, a little grass. However, an odd
metallic note on the finish was distracting. Another taste Friday
night didn't have the metallic note, but by then the freshness
suffered. OK, but I liked more previously. B-

Friday's dinner was lamb chops in a pepper/tomato/olive sauce. I was
thinking Italians, but opened a 2005 Ch. Canon (Canon-Fronsac) because
it was handy. I had hoped I was pre-shutdown, but this was quite
monolithic. Some air showed black currant and plum fruit, but not much
else. Fairly strong tannins for a satellite wine, good acidity makes
me think this will age midterm ok, but for now not a lot of pleasure. C
+ for drinking now, guessing on B/B+ potential.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Betsy and her mom returned Wed, Betsy said she was glad to be back in
> her kitchen. She made kale soup with proscuitto, roast chicken, and a

[]

Mmm, kale soup with ham, that sounds tasty. Recipe please Betsy,
or someone who channels Betsy.

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 21, 12:38*pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > Betsy and her mom returned Wed, Betsy said she was glad to be back in
> > her kitchen. She made kale soup with proscuitto, roast chicken, and a

> []
>
> Mmm, kale soup with ham, that sounds tasty. *Recipe please Betsy,
> or someone who channels Betsy.
>
> -E

Emery,
it's one of the variations on Boiled Kale (4 Ways) in the Judy Rodgers
"Zuni Cafe Cookbook". Rodgers is very precise, too much to type, but I
googled and found a version in comments on this page

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/d...ves/133488.asp

Other variations include one where you top the toast with kale like
above, and then top with a fried egg topped with warm red wine
vinegar. Or stirring in stale bread, or adding semolina.