FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Wines with bunny (Burg, Loire, Prosecco) (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/167932-tn-wines-bunny-burg.html)

DaleW 09-02-2009 02:50 PM

TN: Wines with bunny (Burg, Loire, Prosecco)

Last night some friends had invited me over for a bunny dinner, since
there was a rabbit in mustard sauce recipe in last Wed's NYT. I
carried over some open wines from night before as well as a Burg. The
fresh wines we tried:

NV Riondo "Pink" Prosecco
Crisp, just a touch off-dry, strawberries, not much on finish, but
pleasant enough bubbles. B/B-

2007 Clos de la Fine Muscadet Cotes de Grandlieu
Limes and saline, a bit thin, but decent flavors. B-

2002 Geantet-Pansiot "Champs Perdrix " Marsannay
This is drinking well now, and goes with with the lapin a la moutarde.
Black cherries and raspberries, just a whisper of cocoa, ripe fruit
but with a good backbone of acidity. Probably would fall on modern end
of spectrum, but not overdone or over the top. I really quite enjoy
(as do others) B++

Fun night with friends.

*

Mark Lipton[_1_] 09-02-2009 06:04 PM

DaleW wrote:

> 2002 Geantet-Pansiot "Champs Perdrix " Marsannay
> This is drinking well now, and goes with with the lapin a la moutarde.
> Black cherries and raspberries, just a whisper of cocoa, ripe fruit
> but with a good backbone of acidity. Probably would fall on modern end
> of spectrum, but not overdone or over the top. I really quite enjoy
> (as do others) B++

I'll have to look for the recipe, but it is a classic of Dijon. For my
part, I find that the lapin a la moutarde that I make pairs best with
serious Cru Beaujolais. Your Marsannay may not be far removed from
that, though.

Mark Lipton

Zeppo[_1_] 09-02-2009 09:57 PM

"DaleW" > wrote in message
Last night some friends had invited me over for a bunny dinner, since
there was a rabbit in mustard sauce recipe in last Wed's NYT. I
carried over some open wines from night before as well as a Burg. The
fresh wines we tried:

Hi Dale,
I saved this recipe when I saw it in the times. How was it? Would you do
anything differently from the recipe as presented?

Regards,
Jon

DaleW 10-02-2009 03:18 PM

On Feb 9, 4:57�pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message

> Last night some friends had invited me over for a bunny dinner, since
> there was a rabbit in mustard sauce recipe in last Wed's NYT. I
> carried over some open wines from night before as well as a Burg. The
> fresh wines we tried:
>
> Hi Dale,
> I saved this recipe when I saw it in the times. How was it? Would you do
> anything differently from the recipe as presented?
>
> Regards,
> Jon

I thought it was a good example, though it wouldn't have bothered me
to have left in the creme fraiche as in Boulud's orginal. I love
recipes with mustard - mustard can be a wine killer, but with braising
or other long cooking methods it is an accent without acridity. Ron
did 2 rabbits, and served over pappardelle. He felt it could have been
a little more sauce, but I thought fine.

Zeppo[_1_] 10-02-2009 04:38 PM

"DaleW" > wrote in message
On Feb 9, 4:57?pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message

> Last night some friends had invited me over for a bunny dinner, since
> there was a rabbit in mustard sauce recipe in last Wed's NYT. I
> carried over some open wines from night before as well as a Burg. The
> fresh wines we tried:
>
> Hi Dale,
> I saved this recipe when I saw it in the times. How was it? Would you do
> anything differently from the recipe as presented?
>
> Regards,
> Jon

I thought it was a good example, though it wouldn't have bothered me
to have left in the creme fraiche as in Boulud's orginal. I love
recipes with mustard - mustard can be a wine killer, but with braising
or other long cooking methods it is an accent without acridity. Ron
did 2 rabbits, and served over pappardelle. He felt it could have been
a little more sauce, but I thought fine.

Thanks. Off to find some hare.

Jon

Emery Davis[_2_] 10-02-2009 05:22 PM

Zeppo wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message
> On Feb 9, 4:57?pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
>> "DaleW" > wrote in message

>> Last night some friends had invited me over for a bunny dinner, since
>> there was a rabbit in mustard sauce recipe in last Wed's NYT. I
>> carried over some open wines from night before as well as a Burg. The
>> fresh wines we tried:
>>
>> Hi Dale,
>> I saved this recipe when I saw it in the times. How was it? Would you do
>> anything differently from the recipe as presented?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jon

> I thought it was a good example, though it wouldn't have bothered me
> to have left in the creme fraiche as in Boulud's orginal. I love
> recipes with mustard - mustard can be a wine killer, but with braising
> or other long cooking methods it is an accent without acridity. Ron
> did 2 rabbits, and served over pappardelle. He felt it could have been
> a little more sauce, but I thought fine.
>
> Thanks. Off to find some hare.

You probably know this but for the peanut gallery hare and rabbit are
not the same thing, nor would they necessarily go with the same wines
or preparations. (Though hare with mustard sauce sounds good, too!)

Hare is much gamier and generally calls for a pretty big red, whereas
rabbit is very wine versatile, like chicken, depending on the sauce.

There's a hare living somewhere near here I'd like to serve with sauce,
or without. He's a whopper, and can strip bark off a tree near waist high.

-E

Zeppo[_1_] 11-02-2009 05:24 PM

Wines with bunny (Burg, Loire, Prosecco)

>> I thought it was a good example, though it wouldn't have bothered me
>> to have left in the creme fraiche as in Boulud's orginal. I love
>> recipes with mustard - mustard can be a wine killer, but with braising
>> or other long cooking methods it is an accent without acridity. Ron
>> did 2 rabbits, and served over pappardelle. He felt it could have been
>> a little more sauce, but I thought fine.
>>
>> Thanks. Off to find some hare.
>>

> You probably know this but for the peanut gallery hare and rabbit are
> not the same thing, nor would they necessarily go with the same wines
> or preparations. (Though hare with mustard sauce sounds good, too!)
>
> Hare is much gamier and generally calls for a pretty big red, whereas
> rabbit is very wine versatile, like chicken, depending on the sauce.
>
> There's a hare living somewhere near here I'd like to serve with sauce,
> or without. He's a whopper, and can strip bark off a tree near waist
> high.

Emery,
Actually, I did know that. It was a poor attempt at being witty. A bit too
much Two Hands Bella's Garden the night before to pull it off.

Jon