Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Wines with Salil (Riesling, Bdx, etc)

Salil Benegal was in the area Saturday, and we invited him to dinner.
Tried a few local winegeeks, but too short a notice, but we filled out
table with some other friends. Betsy spent the afternoon cooking, and
used some of a 2007 Loosen "Dr L" Riesling. Off-dry, nice acidity,
dependable, nice value. B/B-

I was in charge of appetizers, but with no non-seafood eaters I
realized virtually my entire repetoire was out. So I just served some
olives and wild boar sausage, along with the NV Pinon Touraine Rose
Brut. Strawberries and cherries, some Loire chalk tones, good length,
excellent value in pink bubbly. B+/A-

Betsy made a starter of leeks and fennel with Nicoise olives and
chevre, then the main course of pork braised in Riesling, with
gingered sweet potatoes, 5-spice apples, and Brussels sprouts. We
followed with some cheeses (aged Gouda, a Neals Yard Chesire, Tomme de
Savoie, and a triple creme from Burgundy - I had wanted a Muenster for
the Alsace dessert wine, but they were out), apple pie, and ice
cream.

I didn't try to control flights and matching, all of the main courses
were aimed towards Riesling, but the harder cheeses were for the reds
(a couple of people are primarily red drinkers, so wanted some on
table).

2000 Trimbach "Cuvee Frederic Emile" Vendage Tardive
Surprisingly open when first uncorked, still open when poured an hour
later, then seemed to shut down. Later seemed to open aromatically,
though not as much on the palate. This needs a decade, maybe two.
Still, underneath one can feel the muscles coiled, yet there's still a
sense of elegance and balance. Based on the first couple hours and the
potential, A-

1994 Gunderloch Nackenheim Rothenberg Spatlese
The most intensely petrolly of the Rieslings. Apples and orange zest,
but really dominated by the petrol. I'd put it in the A range except
the petrol is just one notch to high for me .B+

1994 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Auslese
Not especially giving, a bit short. Some apple, rocks, petrol. I
though it was improving with air, yet last glass is short again.
Seems a tiny bit simple. B-

2007 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spätlese #12
A generous offering from Salil. Mosel apples and pear, fairly intense
slate notes. Salil finds it a bit soft, I agree, but it's certainly a
solid bottle of Riesling if not a showstopper. B/B+

1979 Domaine de Chevalier (Graves)
My WOTN (as it often is). At first dominated by pipe tobacco and earth
aromas, but red fruit builds in decanter. Nice medium bodied claret
with resolved tannins and solid acids, cigarbox and smoke and some
mineral notes on finish. Good Bdx! A-

2000 Juge "Cuvee C" Cornas
This was a big disappointment, especially at first. I really liked the
'99 of this, a rather elegantly styled Syrah. This however initally
comes across as a rather clunky and clumsy CdR. One-dimensional (two
if you count a little green as a dimension) with a clipped finish.
Revisited later it has filled out a bit, but still performing under my
expectations. Half a bottle left, will see how it shows tonight, but
last night it had to climb to a B-/C+

1998 Zind-Humbrecht "Goldert" Gewurztramier Vendage Tardive
Here's a story of temperature. Served pretty cold, Very intense
tropical fruit dominated by litchee, some honied apricot, spiced
peaches. Lush and classic Gewurz nose, sweet, but seemingly with a
backbone of acidity. Not bad. Yet just 15-30 minutes of warming seemed
to strip away the acidity, leaving a wine that struck me as flabby.
Plenty of this left, Salil took with him so maybe a report on day 2
with food. B-/C+

1985 Gruaud-Larose (St Julien)
Salil was crashing on couch rather than drive, so I offered to open
something else while I cleaned up,He chose Bordeaux, this was first I
saw in cellar. That '85 ripeness, blackcurrants and red plums with
some cedar and tobacco. Solid on the palate, maybe just a bit fading
on the finish. Good, but the '79 DDC was better for me. B+

Fun night, nice people, good to meet Salil!

*
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 8, 1:18�pm, DaleW > wrote:
>but with no non-seafood eaters > �

while much of my TNs make no sense, this is especially nonsensical.
Should read "with two non-seafood eaters"
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Salil Benegal was in the area Saturday, and we invited him to dinner.

Actually, I find your notes rather coherent. Thanks as always for
posting.

I wonder if Juge has some shipping problems. I had a case of 96 cuvee C
that was pretty clearly cooked. I've never had as good quality in the
US as in France. Do you recall the importer?

Sounds like a fun night!

-E