Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: moderately priced Australian Riesling

Last night Betsy made a chicken dish with lentils on top of green
salad, I chose the 2006 Mt Langi Ghiran Riesling (Victoria) despite
the fact I knew tonight we were opening many Rieslings in honor of
Salil's visit. Quite a nice wine, actually. Granny smith apples
squirted with lime juice, vibrant acidity, just the tiniest hint of RS
-drier than most halbtrocken. Nice length for an under-$20 bottle of
Riesling, I wouldn't mind buying again. B+/B

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi > wrote:

> What about riesling-like varieties? The only good
> Welschrieslings I have ever had were Austrian and botrytized.

Welschriesling is not "riesling-like", just as Tocai and Pinot Gris
(formerly aka Tokay d'Alsace) are not "Tokaj-like".

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Tommasi" > skrev i meddelandet
> Michael Pronay wrote:
>> Mike Tommasi > wrote:
>>> What about riesling-like varieties? The only good Welschrieslings I have
>>> ever had were Austrian and botrytized.

>> Welschriesling is not "riesling-like", just as Tocai and Pinot Gris
>> (formerly aka Tokay d'Alsace) are not "Tokaj-like".

> It shares 8 letters in the correct order :-)))

The word "riesling" is not a grape variety ... and this is not a pipe.

Cheers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

Nils wrote on Sun, 08 Feb 2009 16:19:54 GMT:

> "Mike Tommasi" > skrev i meddelandet
>> Michael Pronay wrote:
>>>
>>> Welschriesling is not "riesling-like", just as Tocai and
>>> Pinot Gris (formerly aka Tokay d'Alsace) are not
>>> "Tokaj-like".

>> It shares 8 letters in the correct order :-)))

> The word "riesling" is not a grape variety ... and this is not
> a pipe.

This may be an attempt that I am missing to do a Magritte but others
would disagree with you about "riesling" not being a grape variety, for
example, http://www.winepros.org/wine101/grap...s/riesling.htm

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.wine

Yeah, it said:
Riesling name has been tarnished by the attachment of its name to other
white varietals (Grey Riesling--aka Chaucé Gris--, Walschriesling--aka
Italian Riesling--, and Missouri Riesling) that are of far lesser quality
and genetically unrelated to the true Riesling.

Riesling is a grape variety, of course, the others too, in their way.

Anders

"James Silverton" > skrev i melding
> Nils wrote on Sun, 08 Feb 2009 16:19:54 GMT:

>>> It shares 8 letters in the correct order :-)))

>> The word "riesling" is not a grape variety ... and this is not
>> a pipe.

> This may be an attempt that I am missing to do a Magritte but others would
> disagree with you about "riesling" not being a grape variety, for example,
> http://www.winepros.org/wine101/grap...s/riesling.htm
>

> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.wine

>> The word "riesling" is not a grape variety ... and this is not
>> a pipe.

> This may be an attempt that I am missing to do a Magritte but others would
> disagree with you about "riesling" not being a grape variety, for example,
> http://www.winepros.org/wine101/grap...s/riesling.htm

Obviously you are right - it is a Magritte - the word "riesling" is not a
grape variety, while riesling is ... and the picture of a piep is not a
pipe, nor is the word pipe ... seriously, Welschriesling has nothing or very
little to do with riesling. The suffix Welsch- means "foreign" (cognate with
Wales, and the wal- in walnut), though today very archaic.

In Germany the Pinot meunier is sometimes called Schwarzriesling, BTW, to
add to the confusion.

HTH

Cheers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

Anders Tørneskog wrote:
> Yeah, it said:
> Riesling name has been tarnished by the attachment of its name to other
> white varietals (Grey Riesling--aka Chaucé Gris--, Walschriesling--aka
> Italian Riesling--, and Missouri Riesling) that are of far lesser quality
> and genetically unrelated to the true Riesling.
>
> Riesling is a grape variety, of course, the others too, in their way.

Well, there is no grape that is not one variety or another!

Does anyone know what the French for Walschriesling is?

-E

Posted to alt.food.wine

> Does anyone know what the French for Walschriesling is?

I found one instance of "riesling italien" (cf riesling italico in Italian).
Apart from that, only Welschriesling.
I doubt there are more than very small plantings of Welschriesling in France

Cheers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:

>> Does anyone know what the French for Walschriesling is?

> I found one instance of "riesling italien" (cf riesling italico
> in Italian).

The one or two times I heard the grape name in France, the
speakers used the Italian name.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:

> Welschriesling has nothing or very little to do with riesling.

Genetically spoken: nothing, zilch, nada.

M.