FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: moderately priced Australian Riesling (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/167831-tn-moderately-priced-australian.html)

DaleW 07-02-2009 09:33 PM

TN: moderately priced Australian Riesling

Last night Betsy made a chicken dish with lentils on top of green
salad, I chose the 2006 Mt Langi Ghiran Riesling (Victoria) despite
the fact I knew tonight we were opening many Rieslings in honor of
Salil's visit. Quite a nice wine, actually. Granny smith apples
squirted with lime juice, vibrant acidity, just the tiniest hint of RS
-drier than most halbtrocken. Nice length for an under-$20 bottle of
Riesling, I wouldn't mind buying again. B+/B

Michael Pronay 08-02-2009 12:26 PM

Mike Tommasi > wrote:

> What about riesling-like varieties? The only good
> Welschrieslings I have ever had were Austrian and botrytized.

Welschriesling is not "riesling-like", just as Tocai and Pinot Gris
(formerly aka Tokay d'Alsace) are not "Tokaj-like".

M.

Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] 08-02-2009 05:19 PM

"Mike Tommasi" > skrev i meddelandet
> Michael Pronay wrote:
>> Mike Tommasi > wrote:
>>> What about riesling-like varieties? The only good Welschrieslings I have
>>> ever had were Austrian and botrytized.

>> Welschriesling is not "riesling-like", just as Tocai and Pinot Gris
>> (formerly aka Tokay d'Alsace) are not "Tokaj-like".

> It shares 8 letters in the correct order :-)))

The word "riesling" is not a grape variety ... and this is not a pipe.

;)

Cheers

Nils

James Silverton[_4_] 08-02-2009 07:42 PM

Nils wrote on Sun, 08 Feb 2009 16:19:54 GMT:

> "Mike Tommasi" > skrev i meddelandet
>> Michael Pronay wrote:
>>>
>>> Welschriesling is not "riesling-like", just as Tocai and
>>> Pinot Gris (formerly aka Tokay d'Alsace) are not
>>> "Tokaj-like".

>> It shares 8 letters in the correct order :-)))

> The word "riesling" is not a grape variety ... and this is not
> a pipe.

This may be an attempt that I am missing to do a Magritte but others
would disagree with you about "riesling" not being a grape variety, for
example, http://www.winepros.org/wine101/grap...s/riesling.htm

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Anders Tørneskog 08-02-2009 07:55 PM

TN: moderately priced Australian Riesling

Yeah, it said:
Riesling name has been tarnished by the attachment of its name to other
white varietals (Grey Riesling--aka Chaucé Gris--, Walschriesling--aka
Italian Riesling--, and Missouri Riesling) that are of far lesser quality
and genetically unrelated to the true Riesling.

Riesling is a grape variety, of course, the others too, in their way.

Anders

"James Silverton" > skrev i melding

Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] 08-02-2009 09:24 PM

TN: moderately priced Australian Riesling

>> The word "riesling" is not a grape variety ... and this is not
>> a pipe.

> This may be an attempt that I am missing to do a Magritte but others would
> disagree with you about "riesling" not being a grape variety, for example,
> http://www.winepros.org/wine101/grap...s/riesling.htm

Obviously you are right - it is a Magritte - the word "riesling" is not a
grape variety, while riesling is ... and the picture of a piep is not a
pipe, nor is the word pipe ... seriously, Welschriesling has nothing or very
little to do with riesling. The suffix Welsch- means "foreign" (cognate with
Wales, and the wal- in walnut), though today very archaic.

In Germany the Pinot meunier is sometimes called Schwarzriesling, BTW, to
add to the confusion.

HTH

Cheers

Nils

Emery Davis[_2_] 08-02-2009 11:19 PM

Anders Tørneskog wrote:
> Yeah, it said:
> Riesling name has been tarnished by the attachment of its name to other
> white varietals (Grey Riesling--aka Chaucé Gris--, Walschriesling--aka
> Italian Riesling--, and Missouri Riesling) that are of far lesser quality
> and genetically unrelated to the true Riesling.
>
> Riesling is a grape variety, of course, the others too, in their way.

Well, there is no grape that is not one variety or another! :)

Does anyone know what the French for Walschriesling is?

-E

Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] 09-02-2009 12:42 PM

TN: moderately priced Australian Riesling

> Does anyone know what the French for Walschriesling is?

I found one instance of "riesling italien" (cf riesling italico in Italian).
Apart from that, only Welschriesling.
I doubt there are more than very small plantings of Welschriesling in France

Cheers

Nils

Michael Pronay 12-02-2009 02:06 PM

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:

>> Does anyone know what the French for Walschriesling is?

> I found one instance of "riesling italien" (cf riesling italico
> in Italian).

The one or two times I heard the grape name in France, the
speakers used the Italian name.

M.

Michael Pronay 12-02-2009 02:07 PM

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:

> Welschriesling has nothing or very little to do with riesling.

Genetically spoken: nothing, zilch, nada.

M.