Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: '06 basic Chinon from Bernard Baudry

With marinated flank steak, a broccoli/red pepper salad, and a green
salad, the 2006 Baudry Chinon. This is just the base bottling, about
$16. Young but quite tasty, blackberries and black cherries with a
light floral note and good length. Good acidity, firm but not hard
tannins, this should probably age but I enjoyed last night. Plenty big
enough to stand up to rare meat, but handles the peppery spice of the
marinade too. Accidental match, but hard to imagine anything doing
better. A fine wine for the price, B++

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote in news:d29de741-241d-47f9-9463-75d49093d1d0
@a12g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

> With marinated flank steak, a broccoli/red pepper salad, and a green
> salad, the 2006 Baudry Chinon. This is just the base bottling, about
> $16. Young but quite tasty, blackberries and black cherries with a
> light floral note and good length. Good acidity, firm but not hard
> tannins, this should probably age but I enjoyed last night. Plenty big
> enough to stand up to rare meat, but handles the peppery spice of the
> marinade too. Accidental match, but hard to imagine anything doing
> better. A fine wine for the price, B++

So interesting!!!

Emery and I were chez Baudry last october and we both agree that the wines
did not show that well, specially when compared to the wonderful 2005s we
had tasted the year before in a previous visit.

In the meantime I have read John Gilman's gazette and he raves about the
2006s. I guess it is time to taste a couple of bottles.

s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 6, 1:09�pm, whocares > wrote:
> DaleW > wrote in news:d29de741-241d-47f9-9463-75d49093d1d0
> @a12g2000pro.googlegroups.com:
>
> > With marinated flank steak, a broccoli/red pepper salad, and a green
> > salad, the 2006 Baudry Chinon. This is just the base bottling, about
> > $16. Young but quite tasty, blackberries and black cherries with a
> > light floral note and good length. Good acidity, firm but not hard
> > tannins, this should probably age but I enjoyed last night. Plenty big
> > enough to stand up to rare meat, but handles the peppery spice of the
> > marinade too. Accidental match, but hard to imagine anything doing
> > better. A fine wine for the price, B++

> So interesting!!!
>
> Emery and I were chez Baudry last october and we both agree that the wines
> did not show that well, specially when compared to the wonderful 2005s we
> had tasted the year before in a previous visit.
>
> In the meantime I have read John Gilman's gazette and he raves about the
> 2006s. I guess it is time to taste a couple of bottles.
>
> s.

Just read John's note, he's more poetic than I am (I might well have
read before buying this, can't recall, but I respect his tastes on
Loire). Maybe they were just at an awkward stage then.
I have a lone bottle of the '05 of this, but I also have 1 or 2 of the
'05Granges and ';05 Grezeaux (sp?)
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> On Feb 6, 1:09�pm, whocares > wrote:
>> DaleW > wrote in news:d29de741-241d-47f9-9463-75d49093d1d0
>> @a12g2000pro.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> With marinated flank steak, a broccoli/red pepper salad, and a green
>>> salad, the 2006 Baudry Chinon. This is just the base bottling, about
>>> $16. Young but quite tasty, blackberries and black cherries with a
>>> light floral note and good length. Good acidity, firm but not hard
>>> tannins, this should probably age but I enjoyed last night. Plenty big
>>> enough to stand up to rare meat, but handles the peppery spice of the
>>> marinade too. Accidental match, but hard to imagine anything doing
>>> better. A fine wine for the price, B++

>> So interesting!!!
>>
>> Emery and I were chez Baudry last october and we both agree that the wines
>> did not show that well, specially when compared to the wonderful 2005s we
>> had tasted the year before in a previous visit.
>>
>> In the meantime I have read John Gilman's gazette and he raves about the
>> 2006s. I guess it is time to taste a couple of bottles.
>>
>> s.

> Just read John's note, he's more poetic than I am (I might well have
> read before buying this, can't recall, but I respect his tastes on
> Loire). Maybe they were just at an awkward stage then.
> I have a lone bottle of the '05 of this, but I also have 1 or 2 of the
> '05Granges and ';05 Grezeaux (sp?)

Yes, really curious. I was really put off by the development of the 06,
and not only didn't buy but I wouldn't have recommended it as typical
of the Baudry's work. I much preferred the 07s, much I think to the
annoyance of Matthew (I think Bernard preferred to 07s also).

No tired slightly flabby notes at all from Dale's bottle.

It's enough to make you wonder if we tasted the same wine! Anyway
if they were just awkward, it was very awkward indeed. But such
can certainly happen. Santiago, we'll have to verify these bottles
next visit!

-E

P.S. had a Huet LHL sec the other night, bought during the same trip,
it was really fabulous!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 6, 5:36�pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> No tired slightly flabby notes at all from Dale's bottle.

It's hard to imagine from this wine that your complaints were
tiredness or flabbiness. Definitely plenty of bright acids, and still
showing fairly fresh on day 2.

> P.S. had a Huet LHL sec the other night, bought during the same trip,
> it was really fabulous!- Hide quoted text -

What was vintage on the le Haut Lieu? Not that they're not all great.
I have the '05, but wish I had more

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> On Feb 6, 5:36�pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
>> No tired slightly flabby notes at all from Dale's bottle.

> It's hard to imagine from this wine that your complaints were
> tiredness or flabbiness. Definitely plenty of bright acids, and still
> showing fairly fresh on day 2.

Ah, the mystery of it all...

>> P.S. had a Huet LHL sec the other night, bought during the same trip,
>> it was really fabulous!- Hide quoted text -

> What was vintage on the le Haut Lieu? Not that they're not all great.
> I have the '05, but wish I had more

Yeah, sorry, should have said. An 07. Great example of fine maker
making the very best of a mediocre (at best!) year. Wish I had some
05...

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '06 basic Chinon from Bernard Baudry

"DaleW" > wrote in message
> With marinated flank steak, a broccoli/red pepper salad, and a green
> salad, the 2006 Baudry Chinon.

A fine wine for the price, B++

the 2005 Les Granges is magic at GBP13 a bottle

JT from a rather strange white UK

Posted to alt.food.wine

Emery Davis > wrote in
:

>> Just read John's note, he's more poetic than I am (I might well have
>> read before buying this, can't recall, but I respect his tastes on
>> Loire). Maybe they were just at an awkward stage then.
>> I have a lone bottle of the '05 of this, but I also have 1 or 2 of
>> the '05Granges and ';05 Grezeaux (sp?)

He is actually very poetic an ends with a 92+ rating. I personally
scored it 85 (which is a good rating for me), but thought it combined
some overripeness with some vegetal notes which made me scratch my head.
However, I thought it would be appealing for a Spanish palate. My
favorite wine from the 2006 range was La Croix Boisée, but this is not
surprising because it is my favorite wine year in year out.*

> It's enough to make you wonder if we tasted the same wine! Anyway
> if they were just awkward, it was very awkward indeed. But such
> can certainly happen. Santiago, we'll have to verify these bottles
> next visit!

Well, out of curiosity I will buy one bottle and report soon (probably
next weekend).

> -E
>
> P.S. had a Huet LHL sec the other night, bought during the same trip,
> it was really fabulous!

You bought the LHL sec, and I did buy the CDB sec. I will be opening one
soon also.

Best,

s.
* I love Baudry's wines and have a great respect for Bernard and
Matthieu. That's why, when a local company asked me to help them
building a portfolio of direct imports, I recommended Baudry as part of
that portfolio. That means I have an interest on their wines.