Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '02 Clos Senechal

Last night, I made use of a duck that had been sitting in the fridge by
cooking caneton aux navets (braised duck with turnips), a wintertime
favorite in these parts, and opened up a bottle that I suspected would
go well with the dish:

2002 C&P Breton Bourgueil "Clos Senechal" (11.7% ABV)
nose: pencil lead, dark fruit, smoke, tobacco
palate: medium body, rich, smoky fruit, minerals, clean finish

What a match with the duck! In the presence of the food, the fruit of
the wine was brought to the fore without diminishing the herbaceous
quality and the smoky, roasted notes. Without question, this is the
finest Loire Cab Franc I have yet tried. It manages a fine dance
between the taut, herbal character I expect from the Loire with the
smoky, roasted character I usually get from St. Emilion. It went down
way too easy and made me wish I'd bought a case of it. Although
delicious now, I have few doubts that it will continue to improve for
years yet to come.

Mark Lipton

[TN] '05 Breton Clos Sénéchal Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 06-09-2010 07:29 AM
[TN] '01 Clos du Caillou CdR Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 11 12-03-2008 06:56 AM
Clos de los Siete James Silverton Wine 1 06-06-2006 05:21 PM
Clos de los Siete Tim O Wine 1 31-05-2006 08:44 PM
Clos Culombu, et al David Kilo Wine 2 04-07-2004 08:51 PM