Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Champagne, Rhine, Australia, Tuscany

Had 2 couples over for dinner last night. Betsy got the oil going in
the wok, and Al helped her fry some shrimp wontons and steamed garlic
wrapped in bacon (sounds weird, very good). Wine was the NV Godme
Grand Cru Rose Brut Champagne. Nose of flowers and baking powder
biscuits, nice medium to full bodied with bright strawberry and
cherry fruit , a bit of a flinty mineral note on finish. Very good,
and I will get again if I see at a reasonable price. B+/A-

Betsy then made a Singaporese stirfry with fresh rice noodles, Chinese
sausage, chicken, shrimp, fish cake, sprouts and much more (inc.
sambal olek), plus Chinese broccoli with straw mushrooms. This is a
dish we usually go with an off-dry Riesling, but knew 2 guests are
mostly red, so did both:

1994 Gunderloch Nackenheim Rothenberg Riesling Spatlese (Rheinhessen)
Lots of petrol, I thought some might find offputting but it seemed
pretty popular. Peach and apple fruit accented by candied ginger, good
acidity, balanced sugars. Nice example of mature Riesling. B+

1996 Penfolds "Bin 389" Cabernet/Shiraz
Good blackcurrant and blackberry fruit, cedar chest, a little tobacco.
Tannins are mostly resolved, oak has completely integrated, acids are
fresh. Not the longest wine, but quite tasty and to my taste fully
mature. I have one more, will drink in next 5 years. B+/A-

2005 I Greppi "Greppicante" (Bolgheri )
Following the Penfolds this seems simple and a bit empty. Round red
fruit, some vanilla, fruit-forward and not very complex. OK. B-

*