Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Two Rhones and a Claret

Notes on some bottles from last week:

1997 Dom. Remizierres Crozes Hermitage Cuvee Christophe – I’d had the
96 and wanted to compare. This wine was showing the colour, not to
mention a nose of mature Burgundy, was elegant with good length and
only went back to the Rhone at the end, lacking the Burgundian
polish. Fully mature now but should hold a bit. More mature than the
last bottle I tried in November 2007

1997 Dom. Coursodon St. Joseph La Sensonne – one that turned up in my
recent cellar search/reconstruction – a whole case of Rhone I hadn’t
looked at since purchase. A cork was pulled with some trepidation,
but there was no worry. Dark wine with plum and leather notes in the
nose along with a hint of nutmeg, ending with soft tannin, good fruit
and clean acidity. Glad this one turned up as it will be in prime
time for the next few years (if it lasts that long!).

1995 Ch. Deyrem Valentin - this Margaux cru bourgeois got a tough
review on release, cited as offering too much acidity and tannin. Well
the good news is that this has all resolved and fallen into place,
there was decent fruit under it all, and it is now a very presentable
if modest but enjoyable claret that ends with a sort of chalky feel in
the mouth. Uncorked to commemorate the death of Rumpole creator John
Mortimer, in place of the Ch. Fleet Street, Ch. Thames Embankment or
Pommeroy's Very Ordinary that would have been appropriate but for
which I searched but found not among my bottles.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 17, 10:17*am, "Bill S." > wrote:
> Notes on some bottles from last week:
>
> 1997 Dom. Remizierres Crozes Hermitage Cuvee Christophe – I’d had the
> 96 and wanted to compare. This wine was showing the colour, not to
> mention a nose of mature Burgundy, was elegant with good length and
> only went back to the Rhone at the end, lacking the Burgundian
> polish. *Fully mature now but should hold a bit. *More mature than the
> last bottle I tried in November 2007
>
> 1997 Dom. Coursodon St. Joseph *La Sensonne – one that turned up in my
> recent cellar search/reconstruction – a whole case of Rhone I hadn’t
> looked at since purchase. *A cork was *pulled with some trepidation,
> but there was no worry. Dark wine with plum and leather notes in the
> nose along with a hint of nutmeg, ending with soft tannin, good fruit
> and clean acidity. *Glad this one turned up as it will be in prime
> time for the next few years (if it lasts that long!).
>
> 1995 Ch. Deyrem Valentin *- this Margaux cru bourgeois got a tough
> review on release, cited as offering too much acidity and tannin. Well
> the good news is that this has all resolved and fallen into place,
> there was decent fruit under it all, and it is now a very presentable
> if modest but enjoyable claret that ends with a sort of chalky feel in
> the mouth. *Uncorked to commemorate the death of Rumpole creator John
> Mortimer, in place of the Ch. Fleet Street, Ch. Thames Embankment or
> Pommeroy's Very Ordinary that would have been appropriate but for
> which I searched but found not among my bottles.

Good choice to toast Mortimer. I hope SWMBO appreciated it!
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bill S. wrote:
> Notes on some bottles from last week:
>
> 1997 Dom. Remizierres Crozes Hermitage Cuvee Christophe – I’d had the
> 96 and wanted to compare. This wine was showing the colour, not to
> mention a nose of mature Burgundy, was elegant with good length and
> only went back to the Rhone at the end, lacking the Burgundian
> polish. Fully mature now but should hold a bit. More mature than the
> last bottle I tried in November 2007
>
> 1997 Dom. Coursodon St. Joseph La Sensonne – one that turned up in my
> recent cellar search/reconstruction – a whole case of Rhone I hadn’t
> looked at since purchase. A cork was pulled with some trepidation,
> but there was no worry. Dark wine with plum and leather notes in the
> nose along with a hint of nutmeg, ending with soft tannin, good fruit
> and clean acidity. Glad this one turned up as it will be in prime
> time for the next few years (if it lasts that long!).

Even the domaine wine from Coursodon is age-worthy. I'm certainly
not surprised that a cuvee (from whatever year) would go 10 years
without a problem.

This said, I don't know La Sensonne. Do you know what distinguishes
it?

Thanks Bill,

-E

Rhones Bill S. Wine 0 30-05-2010 11:06 PM
Rhones, mostly Bill S. Wine 0 07-02-2010 08:12 PM
TN 93 Claret, 3 first growths John Taverner Wine 0 11-08-2006 11:56 AM
Claret interested Wine 13 01-08-2005 06:11 PM
CLARET WINE Nancree General Cooking 33 09-12-2003 04:39 AM