Posted to alt.food.wine
JT JT is offline

Default TN Loire reds

Solihull Fine Wine Society, January tasting.

Hosted by JT. The 2005 Loire red vintage has been mentioned in the same
breath as the 1947. So I thought I would put up a few and see if they were
any good.

All blind as usual, all 2005 except one 2004, where I failed to get the 2005
in time. The reds decanted two hours before and all had thrown a varying
degree of sediment.

Domaine au Moines, Savennierres . Mme Laroche
Viscous very pale with a restrained nose of apple and flowers. Complex,
soft entry and again hints of citrus and apple. Huge mouthful, long. 14.5%
abv !!!! Infanticide

Flight one.

Bourgueil Le Haut de la Butte, Jacky Blot.
Deep with hint of purple. extract ++, the nose was if one had entered a
florists, also pencil shavings. Soft entry but raw tannins, hints of marquis
and blackberries. good acidity. Much too young yet drinkable.

Chinon Cuvee Terroir, Charles Jouget
almost black, big legs no age.A raw stinky organic nose, not unpleasant,
complex. A slightly bitter entry and then woof, big fruits and tannins,
again herbs and blackberries. very long. Drinking well now, but try again in
a few years. My 2nd WOTN

Saumur-Champigny, Ch de Targe, les Tuffeaux
Lightest wine of the evening, purple edge, some thought this could be Gamay,
a summer pudding nose, coarse entry, lightweight, (compared to the others)
and rather stalky, again rather young.

Flight two

Bourgueil, Les Quartiers, Yannick Amiraut, 2004
good depth and no ageing, nose of cedar and pencils, organic hints. a soft
entry with light tannins and good balancing acidity, lack of fruit compared
to the others led most to spot the 2004, very different from the 2005's and
their fruit and alcohol.

Chinon, Dom de Beausajour,,Gerard Chauveau
good depth then a rather simple nose of spice and vanilla, reflected on the
palate, a simple mouthful of berries and rounded tannins. Very pleasant and
needs food.

Saumur-Champigny, Ch du Hureau, Grande Cuvee Vatan
Ruby, extract++, marshmallow nose and leather, woodsmoke, layers of subtle
fruit..A rounded entry with soft tannins , spice and chocolate hints, very
long and backward.

Flight three

Bourgueil, Dom de la Butte, Mi Pente, Jacky Blot
So bright stunning looker, huge depth yet sparkles in the glass, ( you knew
that this was a great wine by just looking at it), wonderful complex nose,
cassis, cut brambles, flowershop, an amazing mouthful berries and spice,
layer upon layer of different fruit, soft tannins yet good acidity. A long
liver and voted WOTN by most. If I had a Dalw W score this would be an A, at
GBP 16.95, worth evey penny.

Chinon, Varennes du Grand Clos, Charles Jouget
No sign of age, extract++, a very dumb closed down nose, some cassis, but
you had to work to get a whiff of it,.again a big mouthful of fruit, with
floral flavours wafting up ones nose.Big soft tannins, some residual
bitterness. Much too young, try again 5 year

Saumur-Champigny, Ch du Hureau, Lisagathe, Vatan
A hint of purple and thick glycerin, huge legs.Again very closed down, yet
layers of berry fruit and cut flowers. A massive mouthful of fruit fruit and
more fruit, spicebox, big rounded tannins. Far too young.

What a superb spread of wines, all magnificent except the La Targe, which
floundered a bit against the others. Has the makings of a long living
vintage, with alcohol levels 13,5 to 14.5 ( almost unknown in the Loire).
Most members are off to purchse some of the wines.
The Mi Pente was head and shoulders above the rest as it was drinking well
now, the others will come good in time and make an interesting drink over
the next ten years+

And I have found a new marker for Cabernet franc..........a florists with
cut flowers and some minerality.

JT

Posted to alt.food.wine

JT wrote:
> [...]
> bitterness. Much too young, try again 5 year
>
> Saumur-Champigny, Ch du Hureau, Lisagathe, Vatan
> A hint of purple and thick glycerin, huge legs.Again very closed down, yet
> layers of berry fruit and cut flowers. A massive mouthful of fruit fruit and
> more fruit, spicebox, big rounded tannins. Far too young.
>
> What a superb spread of wines, all magnificent except the La Targe, which
> floundered a bit against the others. Has the makings of a long living
> vintage, with alcohol levels 13,5 to 14.5 ( almost unknown in the Loire).
> Most members are off to purchse some of the wines.
> The Mi Pente was head and shoulders above the rest as it was drinking well
> now, the others will come good in time and make an interesting drink over
> the next ten years+
>
> And I have found a new marker for Cabernet franc..........a florists with

Thanks for the notes, John, sounds like a great tasting.

I've heard good things about Blot, I will have to search him out. I
think Vatan is one of the very talented winemakers in the Loire. (He
thinks so too, as it happens.) By quirk of fate I am getting ready
to order from Vatan. The 2005 Saumur-Champigny (domaine) is very very
good, and a steal at 8.50 EU. The Lisagathe 2005 is pretty expensive
at 37 EU the mag (no bottles left) but I think I will lay a few down.
IIRC Vatan has called this the best wine he has made.

FWIW I find Beausejour a very simple wine in general, though I haven't
tried it in a few years. It is a very large (and somewhat industrial)
production.

cheers,

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine
pk pk is offline

"JT" > wrote in message
> Solihull Fine Wine Society, January tasting.

> Domaine au Moines, Savennierres . Mme Laroche
> Viscous very pale with a restrained nose of apple and flowers. Complex,
> soft entry and again hints of citrus and apple. Huge mouthful, long. 14.5%
> abv !!!! Infanticide

I opend a 1994 of this at Xmas - long & luchious, ecxellent example of type

as you say, opening a 2004/5 is infanticide

pk