Wine (alt.food.wine) Devoted to the discussion of wine and wine-related topics. A place to read and comment about wines, wine and food matching, storage systems, wine paraphernalia, etc. In general, any topic related to wine is valid fodder for the group.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 04:35 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,930
Default France 2009

We're starting to plan our annual France trip and I'm looking for
advice. We will be staying with some dear friends from Norway in late
June at their vacation home in Valbonne which is just outside of
Nice. I would like to go early and visit a wine site or two so I
debating going over into Italy (Piedmonte) or perhaps the Langudoc
area. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed.

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 05:02 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,554
Default France 2009

On Jan 6, 11:35�am, "Bi!!" wrote:
We're starting to plan our annual France trip and I'm looking for
advice. �We will be staying with some dear friends from Norway in late
June at their vacation home in Valbonne which is just outside of
Nice. �I would like to go early and visit a wine site or two so I
debating going over into Italy (Piedmonte) or perhaps the Langudoc
area. �Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed.


As you can see, Mike is THE resource for that area, though Nils is no
slouch!
No real wine visiting knowledge, but on a touristy note, if you
haven't been the small Chagall museum in Nice is a treasure.
Slightly to your east, I was surprised by the better wines of Liguria,
and the seafood can be excellent
Given the chance, I'd go for Piedmont, but that betrays personal
tastes.
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 06:52 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,930
Default France 2009

On Jan 6, 11:55�am, Mike Tommasi wrote:
Bi!! wrote:
We're starting to plan our annual France trip and I'm looking for
advice. �We will be staying with some dear friends from Norway in late
June at their vacation home in Valbonne which is just outside of
Nice. �I would like to go early and visit a wine site or two so I
debating going over into Italy (Piedmonte) or perhaps the Langudoc
area. �Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed.


Hi

I am in Valbonne once a week for work... and I should be around in June,
would be great to see you (email me for phone numbers). Nils is probably
in Nice at that time too.

Avoid wineries in the minuscule Bellet area close to Nice, some are
decent enough �but prices are geared to the russian mafiosi that like
staying in the Nice area (a favourite of theirs, giant prawns and red
Chateauneuf). The closest real vineyards are an hour's drive east or west..

Barolo and Ch�teauneuf du Pape are both about a 2.5h drive.
Good Languedoc wineries about an extra hour.
Depending on whether you want reds or whites, shorter drives will bring
you to Bandol (exactly 1h 20m at legal speed, this is where I live) or
to Liguria (1-2h depending on where...).

cheers

Mike

--
Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
email linkhttp://www.tommasi.org/mymail


Thanks for the info Mike. We will be there in late June... I'll be in
touch as plans firm up. I'm sure we'll visit the Bandol area....and I
always drive just like the French and never exceed the posted
limits. ;-)
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 06:56 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,930
Default France 2009

On Jan 6, 12:02�pm, DaleW wrote:
On Jan 6, 11:35 am, "Bi!!" wrote:

We're starting to plan our annual France trip and I'm looking for
advice. We will be staying with some dear friends from Norway in late
June at their vacation home in Valbonne which is just outside of
Nice. I would like to go early and visit a wine site or two so I
debating going over into Italy (Piedmonte) or perhaps the Langudoc
area. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed.


As you can see, Mike is THE resource for that area, though Nils is no
slouch!
No real wine visiting knowledge, but on a touristy note, if you
haven't been the small Chagall museum in Nice is a treasure.
Slightly to your east, I was surprised by the better wines of Liguria,
and the seafood can be excellent
Given the chance, I'd go for Piedmont, but that betrays personal
tastes.


Our hosts have already insisted that we visit the Chagall museum.
They've had a vacation home in Valbonne for at least ten years and
they know the area well. Being typical Norwiegians they tend to
prefer beer and Aquavit to wine but I had a chance to introduce them
to California Chardonnay and Cabernet this past summer at my place.
Given the chance I'd go to Piedmont too and that's where I'm leaning
at this point.
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 08:47 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 365
Default France 2009

Piemonte definitely worth a journey. Recommend the Hotel Barolo, which has
its own winery, but also a rather good cellar with some older bottles -
Barolo shouldn't be drunk young. Don't go to Marchesi di Barolo, it is a
tourist trap and they are snotty too (go there dressed in Prada, you get the
top wines, dress in jeans they will serve you Chardonnay ...)
ALso La Morra with some rather good restaurants and a commune enoteca with
wines served by the glass, including some of the big boys such as Voerzio.
Heed Mike - do not, repeat not go to Bellet which is a bloody waste of time,
money, and sobriety.

The Chagall museum is definitely worth a visit.

We will be in Nice from c June 20th, letus know if we can be of any help.

Cheers

Nils



  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 08:59 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,554
Default France 2009

On Jan 6, 3:47*pm, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
wrote:
Don't go to Marchesi di Barolo, it is a
tourist trap and they are snotty too (go there dressed in Prada, you get the
top wines, dress in jeans they will serve you Chardonnay ...)


So, did you go and were disappointed that you didn't get to try the
Chardonnay? Because I know you and Christina LIVE in your Prada
couture collection!

Seriously, Bi!!, if you can arrange to visit with Mike or Nils they
are fun fun people
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2009, 11:54 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,930
Default France 2009

On Jan 6, 1:55�pm, Mike Tommasi wrote:
Bi!! wrote:
Thanks for the info Mike. �We will be there in late June... I'll be in
touch as plans firm up. �I'm sure we'll visit the Bandol area.....and I
always drive just like the French and never exceed the posted
limits. ;-)


Not sure when your last visit was, you would not recognize french
drivers, we now have so many hidden cameras, and if you speed you lose
so many points, now almost everyone follows the speed limit. For old
school driving, you need to cross the border into Italy, which is not
far from Nice...

--
Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
email linkhttp://www.tommasi.org/mymail


I go to France every year and have done so for the past ten years. I
have noticed slower speeds on the "N" routes and the back country
roads but my last foray onto A4 between Paris and Champagne was as
speedy as ever! We try to get to Italy every other year or so and you
are correct....there are two types of drivers in Italy...very slow or
very fast. While I have traveled extensively in France, this is my
first trip to the Nice area.
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 07:54 AM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 365
Default France 2009

Seriously Dale, no way do I go to Barolo to drink Chardonnay!
There do be good places to visit and lots of them too. The small producers
are as a rule more fun than the big ones, at least that has always been my
opinion and inclination.

And I have never, to my knowledge, worn Prada
I _think_ Xina once had a sweater from Prada, but she never used it and then
she gave it away or something.

Cheers

Nils


  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 11:18 AM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 156
Default France 2009

Bi!! wrote:
On Jan 6, 1:55�pm, Mike Tommasi wrote:
Bi!! wrote:
Thanks for the info Mike. �We will be there in late June... I'll be in
touch as plans firm up. �I'm sure we'll visit the Bandol area....and I
always drive just like the French and never exceed the posted
limits. ;-)

Not sure when your last visit was, you would not recognize french
drivers, we now have so many hidden cameras, and if you speed you lose
so many points, now almost everyone follows the speed limit. For old
school driving, you need to cross the border into Italy, which is not
far from Nice...

--
Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
email linkhttp://www.tommasi.org/mymail


I go to France every year and have done so for the past ten years. I
have noticed slower speeds on the "N" routes and the back country
roads but my last foray onto A4 between Paris and Champagne was as
speedy as ever! We try to get to Italy every other year or so and you
are correct....there are two types of drivers in Italy...very slow or
very fast. While I have traveled extensively in France, this is my
first trip to the Nice area.


Most of us here have had to buy GPS that usually tell us where the
radars are. But not infallible, and of course does nothing for the
frequent manned speed traps.

Any chance of your getting into the Normandie or Loire areas Bill?
I'd love to meet for a lunch and maybe some tasting somewhere.

-E
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 03:05 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,930
Default France 2009

On Jan 7, 6:18�am, Emery Davis wrote:
Bi!! wrote:
On Jan 6, 1:55 pm, Mike Tommasi wrote:
Bi!! wrote:
Thanks for the info Mike. We will be there in late June... I'll be in
touch as plans firm up. I'm sure we'll visit the Bandol area....and I
always drive just like the French and never exceed the posted
limits. ;-)
Not sure when your last visit was, you would not recognize french
drivers, we now have so many hidden cameras, and if you speed you lose
so many points, now almost everyone follows the speed limit. For old
school driving, you need to cross the border into Italy, which is not
far from Nice...


--
Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
email linkhttp://www.tommasi.org/mymail


I go to France every year and have done so for the past ten years. �I
have noticed slower speeds on the "N" routes and the back country
roads but my last foray onto A4 between Paris and Champagne was as
speedy as ever! �We try to get to Italy every other year or so and you
are correct....there are two types of drivers in Italy...very slow or
very fast. �While I have traveled extensively in France, this is my
first trip to the Nice area.


Most of us here have had to buy GPS that usually tell us where the
radars are. �But not infallible, and of course does nothing for the
frequent manned speed traps.

Any chance of your getting into the Normandie or Loire areas Bill?
I'd love to meet for a lunch and maybe some tasting somewhere.

-E- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


We will probably fly into Paris and spend a few days there first. We
usually make a trip over to Champagne or we take the train down to
Tours. Our last trip took us to the Rouen area for a day where I
experienced my first real taste of country andouilettes! There wasn't
enough cider in the area to wash the taste away....:-)


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 03:59 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 156
Default France 2009

Bi!! wrote:
[]
We will probably fly into Paris and spend a few days there first. We
usually make a trip over to Champagne or we take the train down to
Tours. Our last trip took us to the Rouen area for a day where I
experienced my first real taste of country andouilettes! There wasn't
enough cider in the area to wash the taste away....:-)


In your place I'd have gone straight for the Calvados. The right
one (or wrong one, depending on your point of view) will wash
away taste buds, tongue, the flesh on the insides of your mouth.

If you head for Tours we could certainly arrange something, so let
me know...

-E


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
France Trip Dick N Wine 0 21-05-2011 09:48 PM
France Dick N Wine 0 17-10-2009 09:38 PM
France 2008 Bi!! Wine 0 29-04-2008 11:41 PM
cialis belgique acheter votre cialis commander cialis canada en ligneaucune prescription acquerir cialis en France soft citrate de sildenafil bonmarche en France cialis en France a vendre [email protected] General Cooking 0 20-04-2008 05:19 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017