Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Shipping wine in winter?

Hi,
Any issues with buying wine online and having it shipped this time of year?

I bought a wine in the Finger Lakes area over the summer that I really loved
(Red Newt Red EFT) and I'd like to get some more. I found it online and was
about to order when I had visions of ice crystal laden bottles arriving at
my door.

Can someone guide me on this?

Thanks,
Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine
JB JB is offline

Never had any problems with having wines shipped to me in the winter months.
I have had a couple of experiences where the order was held up because the
temperature was too high during the summer months.

"Zeppo_m" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> Any issues with buying wine online and having it shipped this time of
> year?
>
> I bought a wine in the Finger Lakes area over the summer that I really
> loved (Red Newt Red EFT) and I'd like to get some more. I found it online
> and was about to order when I had visions of ice crystal laden bottles
> arriving at my door.
>
> Can someone guide me on this?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Zeppo_m" > wrote in
:

> Hi,
> Any issues with buying wine online and having it shipped this time of
> year?

There can be. Usually there's more of an issue having the wine shipped in
the heat of summer.

But if either the source, or your place is under 10 F (guideline from one
of the wine auction places on the web) it can be risky.

> I bought a wine in the Finger Lakes area over the summer that I really
> loved (Red Newt Red EFT) and I'd like to get some more. I found it
> online and was about to order when I had visions of ice crystal laden
> bottles arriving at my door.

I've read (on this group) that ice crystals in the bottles aren't likely to
ruin the wine. But if it gets frozen enough to push the cork out, or crack
the bottle, then the wine is ruined.

I'd think that if you look for a time when the low temperatures at both
finger lakes, and your place is in the 20s or above, you should be OK.

> Can someone guide me on this?

I don't know your address, but if you live in a frigid area of the country
you may have to wait til March. I think, (someone more familiar with the
area would have better info), that even though Finger Lakes has cold
winters, your likely to find a window where the lows will be well over 10 F
with a probable wait of only a couple weeks.

Hope this helps.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 1, 5:05�pm, Jim Lovejoy > wrote:
> "Zeppo_m" > wrote :
>
> > Hi,
> > Any issues with buying wine online and having it shipped this time of
> > year?

> There can be. �Usually there's more of an issue having the wine shipped in
> the heat of summer.
>
> But if either the source, or your place is under 10 F (guideline from one
> of the wine auction places on the web) it can be risky.
>
> > I bought a wine in the Finger Lakes area over the summer that I really
> > loved (Red Newt Red EFT) and I'd like to get some more. I found it
> > online and was about to order when I had visions of ice crystal laden
> > bottles arriving at my door.

> I've read (on this group) that ice crystals in the bottles aren't likely to
> ruin the wine. �But if it gets frozen enough to push the cork out, or crack
> the bottle, then the wine is ruined.
>
> I'd think that if you look for a time when the low temperatures at both
> finger lakes, and your place is in the 20s or above, you should be OK.
>

> > Can someone guide me on this?

> I don't know your address, but if you live in a frigid area of the country
> you may have to wait til March. �I think, (someone more familiar with the
> area would have better info), that even though Finger Lakes has cold
> winters, your likely to find a window where the lows will be well over 10 F
> with a probable wait of only a couple weeks.
>
> Hope this helps.

It all depends on where you are. I think Jim L has the basics right.
One disclaimer- if you are in Pacific NW temperate conditions on both
ends might not mean as much if shipment is likely to go through ND and
it's -6 there.

I'm in southern NY and before doing a West Coast shipment in winter I
usually check temps in Chicago (or Phoenix and Houston in summer). If
I know shipper uses styro, I don't worry about low temps of 20 along
route. Cardboard shippers are less forgiving.

Overall cold is only an issue if you think there is a chance bottles
will go below 25 for extended period, causing freezing that might
cause seal to fail. Shorter cold might lead to harmless precipitates.
Generally I worry much more about heat than cold.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks for responding, JB.

I placed the order.
Jon

"JB" > wrote in message
m...
> Never had any problems with having wines shipped to me in the winter
> months. I have had a couple of experiences where the order was held up
> because the temperature was too high during the summer months.
>

> "Zeppo_m" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> Any issues with buying wine online and having it shipped this time of
>> year?
>>
>> I bought a wine in the Finger Lakes area over the summer that I really
>> loved (Red Newt Red EFT) and I'd like to get some more. I found it online
>> and was about to order when I had visions of ice crystal laden bottles
>> arriving at my door.
>>
>> Can someone guide me on this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

>> Hi,
>> Any issues with buying wine online and having it shipped this time of
>> year?
>>

> There can be. Usually there's more of an issue having the wine shipped in
> the heat of summer.
>
> But if either the source, or your place is under 10 F (guideline from one
> of the wine auction places on the web) it can be risky.
>
>> I bought a wine in the Finger Lakes area over the summer that I really
>> loved (Red Newt Red EFT) and I'd like to get some more. I found it
>> online and was about to order when I had visions of ice crystal laden
>> bottles arriving at my door.

> I've read (on this group) that ice crystals in the bottles aren't likely
> ruin the wine. But if it gets frozen enough to push the cork out, or
> crack
> the bottle, then the wine is ruined.
>
> I'd think that if you look for a time when the low temperatures at both
> finger lakes, and your place is in the 20s or above, you should be OK.
>

>> Can someone guide me on this?

> I don't know your address, but if you live in a frigid area of the country
> you may have to wait til March. I think, (someone more familiar with the
> area would have better info), that even though Finger Lakes has cold
> winters, your likely to find a window where the lows will be well over 10
> with a probable wait of only a couple weeks.
>
> Hope this helps.

Hi Jim,
I checked availability and the weather reports and decided to go with it.
I'm Southeastern PA, so it's not a problem on my end, but it will be in the
low 20's in the Finger Lakes for the weekend. I asked the shipper to hold
off until early next week when it will be a bit warmer.

Thanks for replying,
Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

It all depends on where you are. I think Jim L has the basics right.
One disclaimer- if you are in Pacific NW temperate conditions on both
ends might not mean as much if shipment is likely to go through ND and
it's -6 there.

I'm in southern NY and before doing a West Coast shipment in winter I
usually check temps in Chicago (or Phoenix and Houston in summer). If
I know shipper uses styro, I don't worry about low temps of 20 along
route. Cardboard shippers are less forgiving.

Overall cold is only an issue if you think there is a chance bottles
will go below 25 for extended period, causing freezing that might
cause seal to fail. Shorter cold might lead to harmless precipitates.
Generally I worry much more about heat than cold.

Hi Dale,
I'm in the Philly area so it will only be a problem on the shipping end. I
went
ahead with the order and asked the shipper to ship on Tuesday, when it will
be a little warmer up there.

Regards,
Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 07:55:54 -0500, "Zeppo" >
wrote:

>I checked availability and the weather reports and decided to go with it.
>I'm Southeastern PA, so it's not a problem on my end, but it will be in the
>low 20's in the Finger Lakes for the weekend. I asked the shipper to hold
>off until early next week when it will be a bit warmer.

I would think it also depends on the shipping method. I tend to ship
via FedEx or UPS Ground, which means a week or more this time of year
when shipping from Seattle to NY, for example. And it will go through
the ultra-minus Dakotas, etc. Consequently, I don't ship til spring or
fall.

A next day or two day delivery would be faster and not have to wade
through the sub-zero states, but I'm unsure of cargo hold temps at
35,000 feet, either.

JJ
Posted to alt.food.wine

I'll know tomorrow. My wine arrives then. I'll let you know if it's dripping
red on delivery. :-)

Jon

Jon
> wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 07:55:54 -0500, "Zeppo" >
> wrote:
>
>>I checked availability and the weather reports and decided to go with it.
>>I'm Southeastern PA, so it's not a problem on my end, but it will be in
>>the
>>low 20's in the Finger Lakes for the weekend. I asked the shipper to hold
>>off until early next week when it will be a bit warmer.

> I would think it also depends on the shipping method. I tend to ship
> via FedEx or UPS Ground, which means a week or more this time of year
> when shipping from Seattle to NY, for example. And it will go through
> the ultra-minus Dakotas, etc. Consequently, I don't ship til spring or
> fall.
>
> A next day or two day delivery would be faster and not have to wade
> through the sub-zero states, but I'm unsure of cargo hold temps at
> 35,000 feet, either.
>
> JJ

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Zeppo" > wrote in message
> I'll know tomorrow. My wine arrives then. I'll let you know if it's
> dripping red on delivery. :-)

Well, I lucked out. It arrived in fine shape.

Jon

FYI: U.S. wine shipping laws Dick R. Wine 1 21-01-2007 09:18 PM
Shipping wine? Winemaking 8 20-12-2005 03:01 AM
Shipping wine [email protected] Winemaking 3 28-03-2005 10:01 PM
Shipping wine [email protected] Winemaking 0 28-03-2005 06:26 AM
Shipping Wine to Me From Me JB Wine 11 11-03-2004 06:01 PM