FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cognac question- US location question- (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/165533-cognac-question-us-location.html)

KOS 17-12-2008 03:47 AM

Cognac question- US location question-

Hi, I would like to purchase an EXCELLENT bottle of cognac for
someone. I want to spend 200 USD.. Can someone make a suggestion? I
realize one can spend less. but I want to spend 200

cwdjrxyz 17-12-2008 05:54 AM

On Dec 16, 8:47*pm, KOS > wrote:
> Hi, I would like to purchase an EXCELLENT bottle of cognac for
> someone. I want to spend 200 USD.. Can someone make a suggestion? I
> realize one can spend less. but I want to spend 200

Most of the Cognac houses make premium Cognacs in the US$200 range,
and there are quite a few in the thousands of dollar range, often in a
fancy crystal decanters. There is a wide difference in styles of these
Cognacs, so knowing something about the taste of the person who will
receive the gift would help greatly. Also knowing what brand names
they like would help, because there often is a house style apparent in
a range of Cognacs from the same house. Also consider a gift
certificate at some spirits store if you are not sure what style of
Cognac the person likes. They might even decide they would rather have
an old Armagnac than Cognac!

To use examples from two of the largest and best known houses
(although there are those who do not consider one or both of these
houses at the top of quality), both Hennessy and Martell make
everything from rather ordinary everyday Cognac to premium ones well
above the cost you mention. Their styles however are quite different
with the Hennessy being much fuller, and the Martell being not so full
and more elegant. For example, near the high end, the old Hennessy
Extra and the Martell Extra are as different as night and day in
style, and many who like fine Cognac would have a very strong
preference for one over the other.

Mike Hagley 19-12-2008 02:10 PM

Cognac question- US location question-

I would suggest that where you live will dictate what you can buy.

Hands down, the finest cognacs that I have bought are made by Ragnaud
Sabourin. The cognac produced by Croizet are also superb. But again, it
depends on where you live and if these products are available in your area.

In my opinion, the quality that you find from the smaller makers is better
and a better
value than from buying from one of the Big Four cognac producers.

Mike Hagley