Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Chambertin 1976, Cuvee Heritiers Latour, Domaine Louis Latour

The Chambertin 1976, Cuvee Heritiers Latour, Domaine Louis Latour, was
properly stored by me since shortly after release. The fill was high
and the cork was sound, but it was very difficult to remove because it
crumbled easily.

Red Burgundy from 1976 was rather variable. The year was very hot, and
tannins were excessive in some cases. Some has developed well and now
drinks well. Others, although they may now have lost tannin, have lost
too much fruit and have developed little of interest to replace it
with age.

This wine was still fairly full in color for an old Burgundy, and had
only moderate evidence of age around the rim. Tannins are now reduced
enough in intensity and are of medium character. There is enough acid.
Considerable mixed fruit, perhaps dark cherries with hints of other
mixed dark pit fruits, is present. There is a hint of earthy
character. The intensity and complexity, although not that of the best
Chambertin, is quite decent, and the finish is fairly long. I did not
note any off smells or tastes. Although fully mature, the wine likely
will hold fairly well for a few more years, but nothing likely will be
gained by keeping it.

The last tasting note I have by others is by Clive Coates in 1996 who
called it very good indeed. He rated it 17/20 then, but thought one
should drink it soon. Apparently it has not declined very much, if
any, since 1996, but not having tasted it then, I could not say for
sure.