Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Christmas gift wines ... maybe not

Just received a holiday catalog from Haskell's, a wine and
liquor chain in Minnesota. Some nice wines at fair prices,
but some of the PER BOTTLE highlights a
Cheval Blanc 2005 Bordeaux $1,399.99
Margaux 2005 Bordeaux $1,399.99
La Tache 2005 Burgundy $4,900.00
Richebourg 2005 Burgundy $6,800.00
Romanee Conti 2005 Burgundy $12,500.00

Wow!
Happy Holidays to all,
Dick R.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 9, 12:21*am, "Dick R." > wrote:
> Just received a holiday catalog from Haskell's, a wine and
> liquor chain in Minnesota. Some nice wines at fair prices,
> but some of the PER BOTTLE highlights a
> Cheval Blanc 2005 Bordeaux $1,399.99
> Margaux 2005 Bordeaux $1,399.99
> La Tache 2005 Burgundy $4,900.00
> Richebourg 2005 Burgundy $6,800.00
> Romanee Conti 2005 Burgundy $12,500.00

It will be interesting to see if there are some sales of ultra high
priced goods after the holidays, since many of the very rich around
the world have lost millions on paper, at least for now, and may
likely be in no mood to buy such expensive products.

Petrossian lists Imperial Special Reserve Persicus caviar at US$ 1257
for 1 3/4 oz(50g) or $12200 for 17 5/8 oz(500g). I believe this comes
from Iran. It is not now legal to sell Beluga in the US because of the
endangered status of this huge fish. The price of higher grades of
caviar has increased greately for many years now. If this continues,
the best caviar will sell for the price of gold, and the above now is
over 1/2 the price of gold. I wonder if there will also be some caviar
sales after the holidays.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi wrote:

>> It will be interesting to see if there are some sales of ultra high
>> priced goods after the holidays, since many of the very rich around
>> the world have lost millions on paper, at least for now, and may
>> likely be in no mood to buy such expensive products.

> Well, all speculative instruments, wines included, would be hit. So the
> net result should be neutral, the devalued assets of the formerly rich
> should be enough to cover these now devalued wines.

I've actually been looking at this in the context of recent auction
results. What I've observed has been a definite softening of the market
for non-cult status wines, but continued strength of prices for the
trophy wines (First Growths, DRC, Guigal LaLas, Gaja, etc.). For the
near term, this probably means that the price increases for trophy wines
will decrease, but I have yet to see anything like actual price
decreases in the secondary market for wine.

Mark Lipton