Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: red and white Burgundy, plus Nahe

Last night we had a friend over while her husband was still in
Ethiopia. She's a white-only drinker, so I opened a white for her (and
as apertif for us)and a a Pinot Noir for our dinner (duck legs, rice,
and snow peas).

2006 Thierry and Pascale Matrot Bourgogne Blanc
Clean pear fruit with a surprising hint (but just a hint) of wood.
Moderate acidity, a little flint, very popular with our guest who
mostly drinks California Chardonnay. B/B-

2001 G. Roumier Chambolle-Musigny
This is still showing young, but oh so tasty. Black cherries and
raspberries, red plums, earth,and sandalwood. Texture is smooth and
supple, but there is both acidic and tannic structure there. I think
this is just outstanding for village level wine. With time some
leather and a little grenadine-ish note. I need to keep my hands off
the last of these, but its hard! A-

Tonight I had leftovers (mungbean soup, salad, rice). I opened the
2007 Donnhoff Riesling QbA. Lighter style for the estate QbA this
year, but I like light. Lime and green apple, with just a hint of red
fruits. Great acids, balanced sugars, a bit of a slatey minerality. I
remember the days of the $10 Donnhoff QbA, but at $16 this is still a
steal. B+