Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Election night wines: bubbly, whites, and a red I'd as soonforget

Last night we went over to friends, to watch elections returns and
celebrate. We ate chili, sushi, and mushroom canapes while watching
returns (including Comedy Central, we actually watched Jon Stewart
declare Obama the winner at 11), debating, and cheering.

Plus, of course, some wine:
2006 Urban Uco Malbec-Tempranillo (Argentina)
No offense to my host, but this was dreadful wine. Jammy yet with a
harsh acidity, oak chippy, sharp raspberries and blackberries with a
weird almost chemically note. This seemed to go down fine with
everyone else, but I used the sushi as excuse to dump the red. C-

2007 Joel Gott Sauvignon Blanc
This was a pleasant surprise. Citrus and peach fruit with just a hint
of fresh mowed grass. Fuller styled, could use a little more acidic
zip, but one of the better Cal SBs I've had recently, at least in the
under $20 class. B

2003 Donnhoff Obama Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett
OK, OK, so this said "Oberhauser Leistenberg" till we went to work
with tape and marker. Very good wine. Shows the vintage in not having
the acidity of the '01 or '02, but not flabby in the least. Peaches
and Bosc pears over a grapefruit/citrus spine, some mineral notes. A
revisit shows some surprising red fruits (cherries?), a slight hint of
petrol. One of my favorite 2003s, seems totally ready to me. B+

When the announcement came:

1998 Charles Ellner "Cuvee Prestige" Champagne
Full-bodied, yeasty, an almost-hops-y note. Not especially long, sweet
apple fruit. B

NV Cristalino Cava Brut
You know, this isn't bad. Light, nutty, just a touch of sweetness.
Quite decent finish. I prefer the Champagne, but not by much, and the
Cristalino is a much better value. B-

There had also been a 2007 Pepiere Muscadet Betsy used for cooking, as
always a stunning value

I realize not everyone shares my political views, but I hope everyone
appreciates the historical significance of last night. It was quite
moving to me to watch alongside an African-American friend in his
sixties, who never thought he'd see that day. I thought McCain's
concession speech showed a glimpse of the McCain I thought was my
favorite Republican 8 years ago, and Obama's speech was stirring yet
nuanced, not the easiest combo.

*
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Last night we went over to friends, to watch elections returns and
> celebrate. We ate chili, sushi, and mushroom canapes while watching
> returns (including Comedy Central, we actually watched Jon Stewart
> declare Obama the winner at 11), debating, and cheering.

<snip>

> I realize not everyone shares my political views, but I hope everyone
> appreciates the historical significance of last night. It was quite
> moving to me to watch alongside an African-American friend in his
> sixties, who never thought he'd see that day. I thought McCain's
> concession speech showed a glimpse of the McCain I thought was my
> favorite Republican 8 years ago, and Obama's speech was stirring yet
> nuanced, not the easiest combo.

I've always thought of John McCain as one of the good guys, but I think
he got tangled up trying to tow the party line. Maybe if he had run as
an independent, the results would have been different. I still think he's
a good guy, but I'm glad he won't be our next president.
JMHO
Dick R.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Last night we went over to friends, to watch elections returns and
> celebrate. We ate chili, sushi, and mushroom canapes while watching
> returns (including Comedy Central, we actually watched Jon Stewart
> declare Obama the winner at 11), debating, and cheering.

<SNIP wines>

Nice selection of wines, Dale. It's good to hear about the '07 Pepiere,
not that I had many doubts. We had a small group over to our house last
night to watch election returns, including some amount of the Daily Show
coverage. Our wines:

2006 Movia Ribolla - fairly anonymous, showing some oak and not much
clear character

2001 Ridge Pagani Ranch - Yeah, I had to go American last night, and I
tip my hat to Ed Rasimus, wherever he might be. This wine was totally
on form last night: intensely fruity, tarry and structured with none of
the overripe fruit notes that can mar this vineyard's wines.

2004 Scott Harvey 'Ancient Vines' Amador County Zinfandel - Since the
Pagani Ranch went so quickly, I retrieved this wine from the cellar.
Not as deep or as structured as the Pagani, it displayed classic Zin
berry fruit in a fairly soft package with just a hint of tar. Nice, but
overshadowed by its predecessor.

> I realize not everyone shares my political views, but I hope everyone
> appreciates the historical significance of last night. It was quite
> moving to me to watch alongside an African-American friend in his
> sixties, who never thought he'd see that day. I thought McCain's
> concession speech showed a glimpse of the McCain I thought was my
> favorite Republican 8 years ago, and Obama's speech was stirring yet
> nuanced, not the easiest combo.

I was brought to tears when CNN showed images from Kenya, showing the
jubilation there. The significance of last night's election can hardly
be overstated. I too thought that McCain's concession speech was one of
his finest moments, gracious and thoughtful. I was initially quite
skeptical of Obama's speech, as it began like too many speeches I've
heard at the Academy Awards ("I'd like to thank my producer, who had
faith in me...") but he hit his stride midway through and he finished
strongly. I almost felt as if I was listening to Dr. King speak, and
that led me to wonder what he would have made of this election, which
brought me to tears again.

Sentimentally yours,
Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
>> Last night we went over to friends, to watch elections returns and
>> celebrate. We ate chili, sushi, and mushroom canapes while watching
>> returns (including Comedy Central, we actually watched Jon Stewart
>> declare Obama the winner at 11), debating, and cheering.

[]
> I was brought to tears when CNN showed images from Kenya, showing the
> jubilation there. The significance of last night's election can hardly
> be overstated. I too thought that McCain's concession speech was one of
> his finest moments, gracious and thoughtful. I was initially quite
> skeptical of Obama's speech, as it began like too many speeches I've
> heard at the Academy Awards ("I'd like to thank my producer, who had
> faith in me...") but he hit his stride midway through and he finished
> strongly. I almost felt as if I was listening to Dr. King speak, and
> that led me to wonder what he would have made of this election, which
> brought me to tears again.

Much sentiment from this side of the pond also, and a sense that if the
"real" McCain (as shown in his concession speech) had campaigned as
such, he might well have stolen the election. (We've also always had
a great deal of respect for the man.)

We drained the bottle of Piper Heidsick Monopole at 7am, arguably not
the best hour for tasting, but it was excellent, all grapefruit and
cake, nice fine mousse and a good choice for an early celebration.

A great moment, an American moment I thought, but learned that our
friend and neighbor Francoise had stayed up listening to radio returns,
and also popped the bubbly (unnamed) at a little after 6. All
alone as it happened, it had never occurred to us she would be
that interested!

Adele whooped and danced around the driveway (in rain) while I took the
dog out for some early morning relief.

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

Emery Davis > wrote in news:6nee2kFl795vU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Much sentiment from this side of the pond also, and a sense that if

the
> "real" McCain (as shown in his concession speech) had campaigned as
> such, he might well have stolen the election. (We've also always had
> a great deal of respect for the man.)

I agree totally, wish i had thought to grab a bottle instead of driftng
off to sleep!

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:

> 2001 Ridge Pagani Ranch - Yeah, I had to go American last night, and I
> tip my hat to Ed Rasimus, wherever he might be. This wine was totally
> on form last night: intensely fruity, tarry and structured with none of
> the overripe fruit notes that can mar this vineyard's wines.

The Pagani Ranch has always been my favorite. I think the 88 Pagani
is one of the top 5 wines ever made in California.
Jancis Robinson was on Wine Library last Thursday telling how she
thought the Geyserville represents everything good about Ridge.

> I was brought to tears when CNN showed images from Kenya, showing the
> jubilation there. The significance of last night's election can hardly
> be overstated. I too thought that McCain's concession speech was one of
> his finest moments, gracious and thoughtful. I was initially quite
> skeptical of Obama's speech, as it began like too many speeches I've
> heard at the Academy Awards ("I'd like to thank my producer, who had
> faith in me...") but he hit his stride midway through and he finished
> strongly. I almost felt as if I was listening to Dr. King speak, and
> that led me to wonder what he would have made of this election, which
> brought me to tears again.

McCain's concession speech is one of the great moments of his life. He
was back to the great American he was in 2000. The rest of the world
seems to be greatly relieved that the Bush era is over. The election
showed that America has made a start in overcoming some of our bigotry
problems.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Hi Dale & other USAian,

I sat up till 4am, until the Ohio "results" made the outcome certain.

I'm afraid that it didn't occur to me to have any wine. I felt that
somehow it was too momentous.

I, too was very moved by Senator McCain's concession when I saw it
this morning and by Senator Obama's acceptance.

The only problem with high hopes is that they often precede deep
disillusion. You've got huge problems facing your country, I very much
hope you can surmount them.

Unlike Mark, I felt that the celebrations in Kenya pointed up how
atypical Mr Obama is, despite his adoption by the black community.
Actually his background may very well work to your advantage - I
certainly hope so.

And coming back on topic. We were in "finishing up the curries" mode
tonight. I drank beer but served two different growers' Bergheim
Rotenberg Grand Cru Gewurztraminers to our guests. Didn't taste either
of them, so I'm afraid I've got no notes.
--
All the best
Fatty from Forges
Posted to alt.food.wine

Dick R. wrote:

> DaleW wrote:
>> Last night we went over to friends, to watch
>> elections returns and
>> celebrate. We ate chili, sushi, and mushroom
>> canapes while watching returns (including
>> Comedy Central, we actually watched Jon Stewart
>> declare Obama the winner at 11), debating, and
>> cheering.
>>

> <snip>
>>
>> I realize not everyone shares my political
>> views, but I hope everyone appreciates the
>> historical significance of last night. It was
>> quite
>> moving to me to watch alongside an
>> African-American friend in his sixties, who
>> never thought he'd see that day. I thought
>> McCain's concession speech showed a glimpse of
>> the McCain I thought was my favorite Republican
>> 8 years ago, and Obama's speech was stirring
>> yet nuanced, not the easiest combo.
>>

> I've always thought of John McCain as one of the
> good guys, but I think he got tangled up trying
> to tow the party line. Maybe if he had run as an
> independent, the results would have been
> different. I still think he's a good guy, but
> I'm glad he won't be our next president. JMHO
> Dick R.

IMHO, he made a BIG mistake by sucking up to the
religious nuts - the ones he once called agents
of intolerance. I would like to see any and all
American politicians not pander to the religious
extremists. He would have been a lot more
successful running as a true independent and not
taking on the baggage of the so called "base" of
his party.

As for me, I am drink some of my backyard estate
grown Merlot / Cabernet Franc blend and some of
my Pineapple Melomel, (mead (honey wine) made
with honey and pinapples)).
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 5, 6:30*pm, "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote:
> Dick R. wrote:
> > DaleW wrote:
> >> Last night we went over to friends, to watch
> >> elections returns and
> >> celebrate. *We ate chili, sushi, and mushroom
> >> canapes while watching returns (including
> >> Comedy Central, we actually watched Jon Stewart
> >> declare Obama the winner at 11), debating, and
> >> cheering.

> > <snip>

> >> I realize not everyone shares my political
> >> views, but I hope everyone appreciates the
> >> historical significance of last night. It was
> >> quite
> >> moving to me to watch alongside *an
> >> African-American friend in his sixties, who
> >> never thought he'd see that day. I thought
> >> McCain's concession speech showed a glimpse of
> >> the McCain I thought was my favorite Republican
> >> 8 years ago, and Obama's speech was stirring
> >> yet nuanced, not the easiest combo.

> > I've always thought of John McCain as one of the
> > good guys, but I think he got tangled up trying
> > to tow the party line. Maybe if he had run as an
> > independent, the results would have been
> > different. I still think he's a good guy, but
> > I'm glad he won't be our next president. JMHO
> > Dick R.

> IMHO, he made a BIG mistake by sucking up to the
> religious nuts - the ones he once called agents
> of intolerance. *I would like to see any and all
> American politicians not pander to the religious
> extremists. *He would have been a lot more
> successful running as a true independent and not
> taking on the baggage of the so called "base" of
> his party.
>
> As for me, I am drink some of my backyard estate
> grown Merlot / Cabernet Franc blend and some of
> my Pineapple Melomel, (mead (honey wine) made
> with honey and pinapples)).- Hide quoted text -

Like Joseph Coulter, I chose to remain sober; I wanted to ensure that
I would actually be awake when it became more-or-less official. I was
a McCain voter, but I'm not surprised that he lost. The voters seemed
intent on clearing the decks of anyone with the slightest "Bush
taint". Ultimately, he was undone by his own quote that he voted with
Bush 90% of the time, a quote that was used in Obama's TV ads.

Dan-O
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 6, 9:50�am, Dan the Man > wrote:
> On Nov 5, 6:30�pm, "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote:
>

> > Dick R. wrote:

> > > <snip>

> > > I've always thought of John McCain as one of the
> > > good guys, but I think he got tangled up trying
> > > to tow the party line. Maybe if he had run as an
> > > independent, the results would have been
> > > different. I still think he's a good guy, but
> > > I'm glad he won't be our next president. JMHO
> > > Dick R.

> > IMHO, he made a BIG mistake by sucking up to the
> > religious nuts - the ones he once called agents
> > of intolerance. �I would like to see any and all
> > American politicians not pander to the religious
> > extremists. �He would have been a lot more
> > successful running as a true independent and not
> > taking on the baggage of the so called "base" of
> > his party.

> > As for me, I am drink some of my backyard estate
> > grown Merlot / Cabernet Franc blend and some of
> > my Pineapple Melomel, (mead (honey wine) made
> > with honey and pinapples)).- Hide quoted text -

> Like Joseph Coulter, I chose to remain sober; I wanted to ensure that
> I would actually be awake when it became more-or-less official. I was
> a McCain voter, but I'm not surprised that he lost. The voters seemed
> intent on clearing the decks of anyone with the slightest "Bush
> taint". Ultimately, he was undone by his own quote that he voted with
> Bush 90% of the time, a quote that was used in Obama's TV ads.
>
> Dan-O- Hide quoted text -

It's hunting season here in Ohio and I have been getting up at 5:00 so
staying up until 11:00pm to get the West Coast results required no
alcohol and a Diet Dr. Pepper at 9:00. I was a supporter of Obama and
was proud of my State for going Blue early. I met with friends last
night over veal sweetbread lasagne and Dover sole with a bottle of
2000 Dom and 2001 Chave Hermitage Blanc...both were exceptional.
Tonight I'm have fresh venison liver with a bottle of 2007 Yann Chave
Crozes Hermitage.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Bi!! wrote:
> On Nov 6, 9:50�am, Dan the Man > wrote:

>>>IMHO, he made a BIG mistake by sucking up to the
>>>religious nuts - the ones he once called agents
>>>of intolerance. �I would like to see any and all
>>>American politicians not pander to the religious
>>>extremists. �He would have been a lot more
>>>successful running as a true independent and not
>>>taking on the baggage of the so called "base" of
>>>his party.

>>>As for me, I am drink some of my backyard estate
>>>grown Merlot / Cabernet Franc blend and some of
>>>my Pineapple Melomel, (mead (honey wine) made
>>>with honey and pinapples)).- Hide quoted text -

>>Like Joseph Coulter, I chose to remain sober; I wanted to ensure that
>>I would actually be awake when it became more-or-less official. I was
>>a McCain voter, but I'm not surprised that he lost. The voters seemed
>>intent on clearing the decks of anyone with the slightest "Bush
>>taint". Ultimately, he was undone by his own quote that he voted with
>>Bush 90% of the time, a quote that was used in Obama's TV ads.
>>
>>Dan-O- Hide quoted text -

> It's hunting season here in Ohio and I have been getting up at 5:00 so
> staying up until 11:00pm to get the West Coast results required no
> alcohol and a Diet Dr. Pepper at 9:00. I was a supporter of Obama and
> was proud of my State for going Blue early. I met with friends last
> night over veal sweetbread lasagne and Dover sole with a bottle of
> 2000 Dom and 2001 Chave Hermitage Blanc...both were exceptional.
> Tonight I'm have fresh venison liver with a bottle of 2007 Yann Chave
> Crozes Hermitage.

2006 Patricia Green Cellars Four Winds Vineyard pinot. I've been following
this vineyard for about five vintages now and it's really hitting its stride.
Deep earth and forest-floor on the nose, with light fruit and good acidity,
subtle structure to herald the return of reason and nuance to political
life.

Posted to alt.food.wine

ernie wrote:

> 2006 Patricia Green Cellars Four Winds Vineyard pinot. I've been following
> this vineyard for about five vintages now and it's really hitting its
> stride.
> Deep earth and forest-floor on the nose, with light fruit and good acidity,
> subtle structure to herald the return of reason and nuance to political
> life.

Thanks for the information, Ernie.

Mark Lipton