Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN:Beychevelle 70, Clos de Tart 76, Mt. Eden Estate Chardonnay 92,Lafleur 66

There were no cork or fill issues, and all bottles were properly
stored since release.

The Beychevelle 1970 was the last bottle of a case. This wine is still
good, but just a bit faded compared to earlier. It is rather typical
St. Julien, but it has always been a bit lighter and less complex than
the best 1970s. It likely needs to be consumed soon.

The Mommessin Clos de Tart 1976 was an only bottle. It still has
considerable color with not much age showing around the rim. There is
mostly dark fruit with hints of earth. There is plenty of acid and
still considerable rather dry tannin. It is not a top red Burgundy,
and lacks some complexity and charm. It fares with food much better
than alone.

The Mt. Eden Vineyards Estate Chardonnay 1992 is holding very well. It
is light lemon in color. There is plenty of acidity which has smoothed
with age. It is powerful, but not overblown. It has citrus and perhaps
hints of melon, and it nearly could pass as a white Burgundy. There is
a bit of low-toast oak now showing, but by no means excessive unless
you dislike any trace of oak you can detect. For my taste, a higher
toast for the oak would be better if not overdone. Mt. Eden Estate
Chardonnay can age very well in many years, but not in some others. I
have had better luck with old Au Bon Climate Reserves after the wine
is over 10 years old.

The Ch. Lafleur 1966 is holding very well. It is still fairly deep
colored with only a bit of age showing around the rim. There is enough
acid and still some fairly dry, but smooth, tannin. It has an intense
dark fruit character with hints of mixed spice. Although not the
quality of a good Petrus, you can tell that it comes from a very good
section of Pomerol. Quite a few of the 1966 reds from Bordeaux had a
bit of excess dry tannin, especially in old age, and some of the
average wines tended to dry out with time..
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 5, 1:47�am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> There were no cork or fill issues, and all bottles were properly
> stored since release.
>
> The Beychevelle 1970 was the last bottle of a case. This wine is still
> good, but just a bit faded compared to earlier. It is rather typical
> St. Julien, but it has always been a bit lighter and less complex than
> the best 1970s. It likely needs to be consumed soon.
>
> The Mommessin Clos de Tart 1976 was an only bottle. It still has
> considerable color with not much age showing around the rim. There is
> mostly dark fruit with hints of earth. There is plenty of acid and
> still considerable rather dry tannin. It is not a top red Burgundy,
> and lacks some complexity and charm. It fares with food much better
> than alone.
>
> The Mt. Eden Vineyards Estate Chardonnay 1992 is holding very well. It
> is light lemon in color. There is plenty of acidity which has smoothed
> with age. It is powerful, but not overblown. It has citrus and perhaps
> hints of melon, and it nearly could pass as a white Burgundy. There is
> a bit of low-toast oak now showing, but by no means excessive unless
> you dislike any trace of oak you can detect. For my taste, a higher
> toast for the oak would be better if not overdone. Mt. Eden Estate
> Chardonnay can age very well in many years, but not in some others. I
> have had better luck with old Au Bon Climate Reserves after the wine
> is over 10 years old.
>
> The Ch. Lafleur 1966 is holding very well. It is still fairly deep
> colored with only a bit of age showing around the rim. There is enough
> acid and still some fairly dry, but smooth, tannin. It has an intense
> dark fruit character with hints of mixed spice. Although not the
> quality of a good Petrus, you can tell that it comes from a very good
> section of Pomerol. Quite a few of the 1966 reds from Bordeaux had a
> bit of excess dry tannin, especially in old age, and some of the
> average wines tended to dry out with time..

Thanks for the notes. I'm surprised at the Beycheville since I've
never found that they age that well. The Clos de Tart you describe
concurs with my experience with most vintages of that wine. The best
mature wine I've had from Clos de Tart was 1985. I'm not surprised
with the '92 Mt Eden Chard. NOt only have I had a number of older Mt
Eden chards that were terrific, I've found a number of chards from '92
have aged well.

Clos de Tart, etc Bi!! Wine 3 15-06-2009 02:00 AM
TN Mount Eden Estate Chardonnay 1990 cwdjrxyz Wine 1 14-06-2007 07:58 PM
TN Mount Eden Vineyards Estate Chardonnay 1992 cwdjrxyz Wine 3 11-12-2006 06:09 PM
Mt Eden Chardonnay 2001 Estate Bottling. Richard Neidich Wine 6 02-09-2006 07:13 PM
TN 89 & 90 Mount Eden Estate Chardonnays Cwdjrx _ Wine 8 26-07-2004 06:33 AM