Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Riesling and Pineau d'Aunis

This is our week for strange food combinations, so Tuesday in a mix of
"what looked good at fish market" and "what needed to be used in
fridge", we had broiled cod in miso, a potato and blue cheese bisque,
and escarole with peppers. Not a meal to break out a treasured bottle;
time instead for a good value wine with a food-friendly attitude. I
chose the 2007*Gysler*Weinheimer Riesling Kabinett *(Rheinhessen).
Lighter styled, good acidity, quiet sweetness. Granny Smith apples
with a little lime, a nice background wine. Nothing was going to be a
great match with that assortment, but this managed not to clash. Solid

With skirt steak covered with Swiss chard and leftover soup, the 2006
Clos Roche Blanche "L'Arpent Rouge" Touraine. Pepper and pine, a funky
herbalness that I enjoy but Betsy is on fence about. Bright strawberry
fruit, high acids, lighter body. Good wine, but not as exciting as I
remembered (maybe because I have a cold). Still, a B

*