Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] The Romance of the Cork , pt. XCI

Tonight, we recognized the colder turn to the weather with a simple
dinner of broiled lamb loin chops, mashed sweet potato and green beans.
With the lamb, I decided to opt for Syrah, and after a bit of dithering
went for an older bottle, a 1987 Clape Cornas purchased at auction last
year. When the cork was removed, I was greeted with the unmistakable
aroma of TCA -- another corked bottle, damn it all! So, back to the
cellar and up with a bottle of:

1989 Chapoutier Hermitage "La Sizeranne"
nose: pencil lead, baking spices, black fruit... and a hint of TCA?
palate: medium body, good acidity, dark black fruit, a medicinal note
and a hint of TCA

The wine, in comparison to what I could perceive of the Clape, was a bit
on the clean and New World side of Syrah, but still quite restrained and
enjoyable. However, as the bottle wore on it did become clear that this
wine, too, was tainted, albeit to a fairly low level that didn't
completely interfere with our enjoyment.

Still, to have two wines in one night, both corked and both
unreplaceable, is a shame and yet another exhibit in the case for
alterative closures.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default The Romance of the Cork , pt. XCI

Mark Lipton > wrote:

> Still, to have two wines in one night, both corked and both
> unreplaceable, is a shame and yet another exhibit in the case for
> alterative closures.

Hi Mark

I drove down to Auckland to a Pinot Noir tasting last Saturday - 90+
NZ Pinots from around the country; all from the 2007 (new release)
vintage.

I would say that Central Otago being the most represented region now -
I must get you down there sometime !!!!!

Fully 90% of the wines were under Stelvin screwcaps - one stand I
visited, whose wines were still bottled under cork, poured my sample
from a freshly opened bottle - corked !

Again, what are the chances.

Personally, I rarely purchase a bottle nowadays (for my everyday
consumption) which is not screwcapped.

--

st.helier
Posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" > wrote:

> Personally, I rarely purchase a bottle nowadays (for my everyday
> consumption) which is not screwcapped.

Praise the Lord that you are situated in the country with the
highest screwcap penetration on this planet. (I praise Him too,
since Austria is number one in Europe: something like over 70
percent for whites, including high-end stiff, while for red still
only 15 to 30%.)

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" > wrote:

> Personally, I rarely purchase a bottle nowadays (for my everyday
> consumption) which is not screwcapped.

Praise the Lord that you are situated in the country with the
highest screwcap penetration on this planet. (I praise Him too,
since Austria is number one in Europe: something like over 70
percent for whites, including high-end stuff, while for red still
only 15 to 30%.)

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 22, 1:09�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Tonight, we recognized the colder turn to the weather with a simple
> dinner of broiled lamb loin chops, mashed sweet potato and green beans.
> �With the lamb, I decided to opt for Syrah, and after a bit of dithering
> went for an older bottle, a 1987 Clape Cornas purchased at auction last
> year. �When the cork was removed, I was greeted with the unmistakable
> aroma of TCA -- another corked bottle, damn it all! �So, back to the
> cellar and up with a bottle of:
>
> 1989 Chapoutier Hermitage "La Sizeranne"
> nose: pencil lead, baking spices, black fruit... and a hint of TCA?
> palate: medium body, good acidity, dark black fruit, a medicinal note
> and a hint of TCA
>
> The wine, in comparison to what I could perceive of the Clape, was a bit
> on the clean and New World side of Syrah, but still quite restrained and
> enjoyable. �However, as the bottle wore on it did become clear that this
> wine, too, was tainted, albeit to a fairly low level that didn't
> completely interfere with our enjoyment.
>
> Still, to have two wines in one night, both corked and both
> unreplaceable, is a shame and yet another exhibit in the case for
> alterative closures.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I bet the sheer romance of the cork coming out almost made you swoon!

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 22, 1:09�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Tonight, we recognized the colder turn to the weather with a simple
> dinner of broiled lamb loin chops, mashed sweet potato and green beans.
> �With the lamb, I decided to opt for Syrah, and after a bit of dithering
> went for an older bottle, a 1987 Clape Cornas purchased at auction last
> year. �When the cork was removed, I was greeted with the unmistakable
> aroma of TCA -- another corked bottle, damn it all! �So, back to the
> cellar and up with a bottle of:
>
> 1989 Chapoutier Hermitage "La Sizeranne"
> nose: pencil lead, baking spices, black fruit... and a hint of TCA?
> palate: medium body, good acidity, dark black fruit, a medicinal note
> and a hint of TCA
>
> The wine, in comparison to what I could perceive of the Clape, was a bit
> on the clean and New World side of Syrah, but still quite restrained and
> enjoyable. �However, as the bottle wore on it did become clear that this
> wine, too, was tainted, albeit to a fairly low level that didn't
> completely interfere with our enjoyment.
>
> Still, to have two wines in one night, both corked and both
> unreplaceable, is a shame and yet another exhibit in the case for
> alterative closures.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I just had a Vincent Girardin white Burgundy last week that was under
screwcap....progress!
Posted to alt.food.wine

My sympathies Mark - two in a row like that is really a shame,
especially with such wines that are almost impossible to replace. I
also got hit by the romantic closures last night - opened a '95 Clos
du Mont Olivet with some goat kebabs yesterday - it had some red
fruits, a hint of earth and some faint spicy suggesting it may have
been very enjoyable - if it wasn't for the damn wet newspaper stink
ruining everything.

Ended up pulling an 06 Monchhof Urziger Wurzgarten Kabinett instead
that was a reasonable replacement, especially as I only had to twist
off a screwcap to get it open.