Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: JP Brun Morgon

Last night Betsy made pork chops with a vinegar/cornichon/tomato/onion
sauce, with leftover happiness soup and kabocha (squash two ways!).
Not as vinegary as it sounds, a Burgundian recipe, but not something I
wanted to chance a more expensive Burg on. So went south to Beaujolais
for the 2006 JP Brun (Terres Dorees) Morgon. Light tannins, ripe red
cherry and strawberry fruit, moderate acidity. Some light herb notes
with time. A nice wine, though not particularly compelling. Which is
what I'm beginning to think is my reaction to most of the Brun crus. I
think from now on my buying of Brun will concentrate on the white and
the L'Ancien, and I'll use my Cru Beaujolais bucks for Coudert,
Descombes, Desvignes, Vissoux. Still, a perfectly pleasant wine.B

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Last night Betsy made pork chops with a vinegar/cornichon/tomato/onion
> sauce, with leftover happiness soup and kabocha (squash two ways!).
> Not as vinegary as it sounds, a Burgundian recipe, but not something I
> wanted to chance a more expensive Burg on. So went south to Beaujolais
> for the 2006 JP Brun (Terres Dorees) Morgon. Light tannins, ripe red
> cherry and strawberry fruit, moderate acidity. Some light herb notes
> with time. A nice wine, though not particularly compelling. Which is
> what I'm beginning to think is my reaction to most of the Brun crus. I
> think from now on my buying of Brun will concentrate on the white and
> the L'Ancien, and I'll use my Cru Beaujolais bucks for Coudert,
> Descombes, Desvignes, Vissoux. Still, a perfectly pleasant wine.B

I know what you mean, Dale. I've only had his Fleurie (I think I have
his '05 Cotes de Brouilly in the cellar) but I wonder whether he's been
able to source really good land/vines as he's expanded into those Crus.
Time will tell, I suppose. On a related note, one of the 4 wines I
brought back from Caves Augé in Paris was the '05 G. Descombes Morgon.
I know that Dressner brings it into the US and I did try to find things
not available through normal channels, but I've never seen a bottle of
this before... The other red I brought back was a Morgon from a
producer I've never heard of before (Chamonard IIRC).

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> DaleW wrote:
> > Last night Betsy made pork chops with a vinegar/cornichon/tomato/onion
> > sauce, with leftover happiness soup and kabocha (squash two ways!).
> > Not as vinegary as it sounds, a Burgundian recipe, but not something I
> > wanted to chance a more expensive Burg on. So went south to Beaujolais
> > for the 2006 JP Brun (Terres Dorees) Morgon. Light tannins, ripe red
> > cherry and strawberry fruit, moderate acidity. Some light herb notes
> > with time. A nice wine, though not particularly compelling. Which is
> > what I'm beginning to think is my reaction to most of the Brun crus. I
> > think from now on my buying of Brun will concentrate on the white and
> > the L'Ancien, and I'll use my Cru Beaujolais bucks for Coudert,
> > Descombes, Desvignes, Vissoux. Still, a perfectly pleasant wine.B

> I know what you mean, Dale. I've only had his Fleurie (I think I have
> his '05 Cotes de Brouilly in the cellar) but I wonder whether he's been
> able to source really good land/vines as he's expanded into those Crus.
> Time will tell, I suppose. On a related note, one of the 4 wines I
> brought back from Caves Augé in Paris was the '05 G. Descombes Morgon.
> I know that Dressner brings it into the US and I did try to find things
> not available through normal channels, but I've never seen a bottle of
> this before... The other red I brought back was a Morgon from a
> producer I've never heard of before (Chamonard IIRC).
>
> Mark Lipton

I have notes for a 2006 L'Ancien from Brun. Very light some pleasant
cherry fruit. Bit thin for my liking. Went well with roast chicken again
from notes but not remembering it well. B- Dale scale

[TN] '07 Breton Morgon Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 27-04-2012 03:54 AM
TN: A Morgon that needs time/air DaleW Wine 3 06-06-2010 10:11 PM
[TN] '07 Lapierre Morgon Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 4 24-08-2009 09:15 PM
'06 Morgon Joseph Coulter[_4_] Wine 1 07-11-2008 01:51 PM
TN: Morgon Jim Wine 0 30-11-2005 10:11 PM