Posted to alt.food.wine

Default WTN: Prosecco, CalPN, white Beaujolais, Argentine wine

After dealing with some minor wounded dog trauma (how could anyone
bite those cute ears?) , we walked a few blocks to friends for dinner.
The food was really excellent- a shrimp/cheese warm canape, a small
course of pasta Bolognese, and then frisee topped with grilled octupus
(boiled in wine the day before- they said recipe had them add a few
corks to help keep from being tough- anyone heard of that?) over
frisee with some spinach on side. Ended with some cheese.

The wines:
NV Zardetto Prosecco
I know this is a huge producer, but they seem to consistently turn out
a decent product. Fairly aggressive mousse, good acidity, light apple
and melon fruit. No yeastiness, more clean than complex, but quite
enjoyable. B

2006 Stephen Vincent "Four Sisters" Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast)
Thin, sharp, and woody at first. Fills out, dark berry and cola with
some vanilla. The acidity seems a bit disjoined/out-a-whack. New
producer to me, I won't be looking for any. B-/C+

2007 JP Brun Beaujolais Blanc
I just love this stuff (our hosts are mainly red drinkers, don't think
this converted them). Clean crisp Chardonnay fruit, no apparent oak,
chalky minerality on finish, a great ringer for a Chablis tasting.
Great value ($12), very good wine. B+

2005 Clos de la Siete (Michel Rolland)
Big heavy bottle, big heavy wine. Ripe almost uberripe dark fruit,
oak, quite tannic. I'm a little surprised - the sweetness says
Rolland, but it doesn't have that plush texture. Certainly no lack of
fruit, but too tannic and hard for me. I'm sure others will like much
more. B-/C+

Fun night with friends.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> After dealing with some minor wounded dog trauma (how could anyone
> bite those cute ears?) , we walked a few blocks to friends for dinner.
> The food was really excellent- a shrimp/cheese warm canape, a small
> course of pasta Bolognese, and then frisee topped with grilled octupus
> (boiled in wine the day before- they said recipe had them add a few
> corks to help keep from being tough- anyone heard of that?) over
> frisee with some spinach on side. Ended with some cheese.
>
> The wines:
> NV Zardetto Prosecco
> I know this is a huge producer, but they seem to consistently turn out
> a decent product. Fairly aggressive mousse, good acidity, light apple
> and melon fruit. No yeastiness, more clean than complex, but quite
> enjoyable. B
>
> 2006 Stephen Vincent "Four Sisters" Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast)
> Thin, sharp, and woody at first. Fills out, dark berry and cola with
> some vanilla. The acidity seems a bit disjoined/out-a-whack. New
> producer to me, I won't be looking for any. B-/C+
>
> 2007 JP Brun Beaujolais Blanc
> I just love this stuff (our hosts are mainly red drinkers, don't think
> this converted them). Clean crisp Chardonnay fruit, no apparent oak,
> chalky minerality on finish, a great ringer for a Chablis tasting.
> Great value ($12), very good wine. B+
>
> 2005 Clos de la Siete (Michel Rolland)
> Big heavy bottle, big heavy wine. Ripe almost uberripe dark fruit,
> oak, quite tannic. I'm a little surprised - the sweetness says
> Rolland, but it doesn't have that plush texture. Certainly no lack of
> fruit, but too tannic and hard for me. I'm sure others will like much
> more. B-/C+
>
> Fun night with friends.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I too am a fan of the Brun Beaujolais but have had some trouble finding
it lately.
I steam octopus in beer and never seem to get it tough. Maybe you are
supposed to eat the corks and think that the octopus is less tough!
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> 2007 JP Brun Beaujolais Blanc
> I just love this stuff (our hosts are mainly red drinkers, don't think
> this converted them). Clean crisp Chardonnay fruit, no apparent oak,
> chalky minerality on finish, a great ringer for a Chablis tasting.
> Great value ($12), very good wine. B+

Blast and damn! We passed up a bottle of this at dinner last night in
Lyon to try instead an '06 Texier Brezeme Blanc (Roussanne). We weren't
all that entranced with the Brezeme (it lacked its usual zing, probably
owing to the year). Full notes to follow later today.

My sympathies re Lucy. What's the world coming to when you can't even
keep your ears from getting nipped?

Mark Lipton
(In Paris and disgruntled)

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote in news:09dd2f08-1bdb-4698-a438-
:

> After dealing with some minor wounded dog trauma (how could anyone
> bite those cute ears?) , we walked a few blocks to friends for dinner.
> The food was really excellent- a shrimp/cheese warm canape, a small
> course of pasta Bolognese, and then frisee topped with grilled octupus
> (boiled in wine the day before- they said recipe had them add a few
> corks to help keep from being tough- anyone heard of that?) over
> frisee with some spinach on side. Ended with some cheese.

I have seen the cork trick being also done in Northern Spain. However,
the consensus now is that octopus is more tender if you a) freeze it
before cooking (that breaks the fibers) and b) you bring the water to
boil and then put the octopus in and out 3 times in, say, 10 seconds.

> 2005 Clos de la Siete (Michel Rolland)
> Big heavy bottle, big heavy wine. Ripe almost uberripe dark fruit,
> oak, quite tannic. I'm a little surprised - the sweetness says
> Rolland, but it doesn't have that plush texture. Certainly no lack of
> fruit, but too tannic and hard for me. I'm sure others will like much
> more. B-/C+

I have been lucky enough to taste the portfolios of Bernard Magrez and
some wines by Michel Rolland a few times. I really think that both make
great wines in Bordeaux but miss the point completely outside.

I guess it is related to climate. In Bordeaux, no matter how how a
vintage is, there is always a limit to which the ripeness can get. Now,
come to Spain or Argentina and there are no limits. I have tasted several
Priorats and Toros by Magrez and they are plain awful. There is a
concentration of tannin and an overripe fruit that is disgusting.

But I love La Tour Carnet, Les Grands Chenes, Fombrauge... which are
Bordeaux made in a ripe style but perfectly in balance to my taste.

Best,

s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
>
>> 2007 JP Brun Beaujolais Blanc
>> I just love this stuff (our hosts are mainly red drinkers, don't think
>> this converted them). Clean crisp Chardonnay fruit, no apparent oak,
>> chalky minerality on finish, a great ringer for a Chablis tasting.
>> Great value ($12), very good wine. B+

> Blast and damn! We passed up a bottle of this at dinner last night in
> Lyon to try instead an '06 Texier Brezeme Blanc (Roussanne). We weren't
> all that entranced with the Brezeme (it lacked its usual zing, probably
> owing to the year). Full notes to follow later today.

We tried a Texier Crozes a few weeks ago, I have to say both Adele and
I really disliked: over-ripe, very modern style.

> My sympathies re Lucy. What's the world coming to when you can't even
> keep your ears from getting nipped?
>
> Mark Lipton
> (In Paris and disgruntled)

You think you're disgruntled? I haven't even gotten gruntled yet!
Anyway sorry you missed the tasting, which I was also looking forward
to and missed in and of itself above and beyond your august presence.
Such a lineup may not soon be reassembled...

-

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 17, 11:35�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > 2007 JP Brun Beaujolais Blanc
> > I just love this stuff (our hosts are mainly red drinkers, don't think
> > this converted them). Clean crisp Chardonnay fruit, no apparent oak,
> > chalky minerality on finish, a great ringer for a Chablis tasting.
> > Great value ($12), very good wine. B+

> Blast and damn! �We passed up a bottle of this at dinner last night in
> Lyon to try instead an '06 Texier Brezeme Blanc (Roussanne). �We weren't
> all that entranced with the Brezeme (it lacked its usual zing, probably
> owing to the year). �Full notes to follow later today.
>
> My sympathies re Lucy. �What's the world coming to when you can't even
> keep your ears from getting nipped?
>
> Mark Lipton
> (In Paris and disgruntled)
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

How can you be disgruntled in Paris?!?!?
Too bad about the Texier.
I guess the dog thought Lucy was hogging a toy. She's known this
Golden for years, but first time inside his house. Maybe a territorial
thing? She's fine, on precautionary antibiotics/
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 17, 4:17�pm, santiago > wrote:
> DaleW > wrote in news:09dd2f08-1bdb-4698-a438-
> :
>
> > After dealing with some minor wounded dog trauma (how could anyone
> > bite those cute ears?) , we walked a few blocks to friends for dinner.
> > The food was really excellent- a shrimp/cheese warm canape, a small
> > course of pasta Bolognese, and then frisee topped with grilled octupus
> > (boiled in wine the day before- they said recipe had them add a few
> > corks to help keep from being tough- anyone heard of that?) over
> > frisee with some spinach on side. Ended with some cheese.

> I have seen the cork trick being also done in Northern Spain. However,
> the consensus now is that octopus is more tender if you a) freeze it
> before cooking (that breaks the fibers) and b) you bring the water to
> boil and then put the octopus in and out 3 times in, say, 10 seconds.
>

> > 2005 Clos de la Siete (Michel Rolland)
> > Big heavy bottle, big heavy wine. �Ripe almost uberripe dark fruit,
> > oak, quite tannic. I'm a little surprised - the sweetness says
> > Rolland, but it doesn't have that plush texture. Certainly no lack of
> > fruit, but too tannic and hard for me. I'm sure others will like much
> > more. B-/C+

> I have been lucky enough to taste the portfolios of Bernard Magrez and
> some wines by Michel Rolland a few times. I really think that both make
> great wines in Bordeaux but miss the point completely outside.
>
> I guess it is related to climate. In Bordeaux, no matter how how a
> vintage is, there is always a limit to which the ripeness can get. Now,
> come to Spain or Argentina and there are no limits. I have tasted several
> Priorats and Toros by Magrez and they are plain awful. There is a
> concentration of tannin and an overripe fruit that is disgusting.
>
> But I love La Tour Carnet, Les Grands Chenes, Fombrauge... which are
> Bordeaux made in a ripe style but perfectly in balance to my taste.
>
> Best,
>
> s.

Interesting observations re difference when the supermodern style is
applied in warmer climates. thanks
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 18, 12:07�pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> Mark Lipton wrote:
> > DaleW wrote:

> >> 2007 JP Brun Beaujolais Blanc
> >> I just love this stuff (our hosts are mainly red drinkers, don't think
> >> this converted them). Clean crisp Chardonnay fruit, no apparent oak,
> >> chalky minerality on finish, a great ringer for a Chablis tasting.
> >> Great value ($12), very good wine. B+

> > Blast and damn! �We passed up a bottle of this at dinner last night in
> > Lyon to try instead an '06 Texier Brezeme Blanc (Roussanne). �We weren't
> > all that entranced with the Brezeme (it lacked its usual zing, probably
> > owing to the year). �Full notes to follow later today.

> We tried a Texier Crozes a few weeks ago, I have to say both Adele and
> I really disliked: �over-ripe, very modern style.
>
> > My sympathies re Lucy. �What's the world coming to when you can't even
> > keep your ears from getting nipped?

> > Mark Lipton
> > (In Paris and disgruntled)

> You think you're disgruntled? �I haven't even gotten gruntled yet!
> Anyway sorry you missed the tasting, which I was also looking forward
> to and missed in and of itself above and beyond your august presence.
> Such a lineup may not soon be reassembled...
>
> -

Wow, surprising take on the Texier. What vintage? I've never had a
Crozes from Texier (don't even remember seeing), but he tends towards
little oak and higher acids.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote in :

> Mark Lipton
> (In Paris and disgruntled)

Need comfort food? Check out
L'Auberge Aveyronnaise
40 r Gabriel Lamé 75012 PARIS
o 01 43 40 12 2
or Pizza Roma in the 5th (Great Eggplant)
--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
[]
> Wow, surprising take on the Texier. What vintage? I've never had a
> Crozes from Texier (don't even remember seeing), but he tends towards
> little oak and higher acids.

It was an 07. No oak, no acids either. Flabby and over-ripe, "ready-
to-drink" style. There was some leather and spice, (it might have been
picked out as a new world Syrah), but mostly dull.

In his defense this I bought this from Leclerc during their FAV, it
may have been a special bottling, certainly was in the style their
buyers seem to favor.

-E

TN: Dry Rieslings, white Burg, Rioja, Argentine, sweet kosher, etc DaleW Wine 0 13-10-2015 08:07 PM
Who Else Loves Argentine Wine? The Food Buster Wine 2 11-06-2010 05:13 PM
TN: white Beaujolais DaleW Wine 0 17-03-2009 04:44 PM
Argentine wine country jcoulter Wine 0 14-12-2005 01:32 AM
Argentine wine Graham Hill Wine 3 20-11-2005 09:33 AM