Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Nebbiolos, Dolcetto, SB/Semillon sticky, Riesling Sekt

Friday was my day to host local wine group; Piedmont was theme.
Offtheme welcome wine was fun to get guesses on; no one thought the
bubbly was Champagne, Fred was guessing Chenin. But it was the 2002
Von Nell "Ludovico" Riesling Brut (Mosel Saar Ruwer). Interesting and
fun wine, smooth and elegant mousse, apple and peach flavors with some
slatiness. I decided to forego the customary Sekts jokes. B+

We sat outside for the first couple wines, with cheeses (aged Gouda,
Tallegio, Robiola) and salamis.

Wines were served blind, mine was up first. Guesses centered around
maturing Barolo, but it was the 1988 Marcarini "Lasarin" Langhe
Nebbiolo. Not quite as vital as last bottle, but still shocking to be
alive, as this is I believe a bottling intended to be drunk young. Red
fruit, a little tar and forest fungus, not very big or long, but
certainly alive. B/B+

As we went to wine number 2 , I went inside to finish sauce for the
beef in Barolo (actually beef in Langhe Nebbiolo, with a bit of
Lessona and some OR PN) and do the (quick) polenta. Wine young and
vital, light ripe tannins, good acidity, rich red fruits. Not
superlong, but a nice midweight Nebbiolo. When with a shout from
outside I was polled for my guess, without thinking I went with
Barbaresco, lucky guess, the 2004 Cantina del Pino Barbaresco. B+

As I went back to kitchen, a more urgent shout arose from the patio.
Apparently the Basset was incensed by the use of a Dutch cheese on an
Italian night, so she snatched the entire wedge on a platter left too
close to the edge. I caught her in yard, grabbed the end of cheese
that wasn't in mouth. I held it up so her legs were off ground, she
held on for about 30 seconds before eventually going to earth. I sadly
threw out a big hunk of 5 yr old Gouda.

We moved inside for beef, polenta, and squash. Wine #3 was my easiest
guess of the night. Pretty dark ruby color, fruity with lots of ripe
cherries and globe grapes, low acid, some tannins. I went Dolcetto,
and got it- the 2007 de Forville Dolcetto d'Alba. Easy drinking, fruit
forward, tasty. B

Next wine seemed Nebbiolo, though with some oak sticking out. Vanilla,
ripe, big, tannic but not hard. Everyone said Barolo, I guessed 2001,
no it's the 2000 Damilano Barolo. Others liked more than I, I thought
oak stood out too much, seemed to get more prominent through night
rather than integrating. B-/C+

Next wine was a bit sharper, the high acid could have used a bit more
fruit. I was torn between Barbera and Barbaresco, but never made a
formal guess. Good thing, it was the 2004 Monte Degli Angeli Barolo.
Better than this producer's Pinot Nero, at least. B-

Last blind wine was ripe, low acid, tannic, but fruit profile was a
fairly classic red-fruited Nebbiolo, and I thought I got a little tar.
So I guessed 2003 Barolo, and got it. The 2003 Querciola Barolo is too
fat for me, borders on flabby, but others liked more. B-

We really didn't need any more wine, but I didn't let that stop me
from opening a half of dessert wine, the 1989 Doisy Vedrines (Barsac).
Dark golden color got darker and darker in glass, but this was quite
alive on palate. Nose of pineapple chutney and honey, on palate
tropical fruit vied with apricot and caramelized brown sugar. Intense,
good acid backbone, very good. A-

Fun night with a good raucous group. None of the reds stunned, but
none really sucked either.

*

TN: Rkatseteli, assorted roses, Nebbiolos, CCR, etc DaleW Wine 0 28-06-2016 02:37 PM
TN: 1956-1985 Nebbiolos, plus white truffles, Champagne, dessert wines DaleW Wine 3 17-12-2015 08:43 PM
sticky brown goo coming out of Riesling cork? Hugo Ripanykhazov Wine 8 27-01-2014 02:06 PM
TN: Sekt and Sauvignon DaleW Wine 0 04-09-2009 03:50 PM
TN: Sekt, CdR, and Clare DaleW Wine 0 12-08-2009 07:46 PM