Posted to alt.food.wine

Default yet another 07 Dr L TN (hey, where's my meat?)

Last night Betsy made a few recipes from her favorite vegetarian
cookbook, Lord Krishna's Cuisine. Glazed carrots (turmeric,
cardamom,coriander), spiced creamed spinach ("Malai sak"), and a rice
and pea pilaf with almonds. Not a menu to risk an expensive wine on, I
contemplated cheap bubbly, but went with cheap Riesling, The 2007
Loosen "Dr. L" Riesling (Mosel) did ok with a tough job. I picked up a
few more of these at $7 a bottle, and at that price it's a total steal
(it's fine QPR at the more normal $10). Best vintage in several years,
light, crisp, limey citrus with some sweet peach. Nice acidity, good
length. I'm not looking for complexity with a cheap wine for Indian
food, but this holds interest. B

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
> Last night Betsy made a few recipes from her favorite vegetarian
> cookbook, Lord Krishna's Cuisine. Glazed carrots (turmeric,
> cardamom,coriander), spiced creamed spinach ("Malai sak"), and a rice
> and pea pilaf with almonds. Not a menu to risk an expensive wine on, I
> contemplated cheap bubbly, but went with cheap Riesling, The 2007
> Loosen "Dr. L" Riesling (Mosel) did ok with a tough job. I picked up a
> few more of these at $7 a bottle, and at that price it's a total steal
> (it's fine QPR at the more normal $10). Best vintage in several years,
> light, crisp, limey citrus with some sweet peach. Nice acidity, good
> length. I'm not looking for complexity with a cheap wine for Indian
> food, but this holds interest. B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I cook Indian, also. To me it's a hard-call to decide what wine I will
have with Indian cuisine.
DH will drink white wine, whereas I usually don't care for it and there is
something about it that always upsets me mostly without fail.

But I do like Graf Hardegg
http://www.wineanorak.com/austria/au...rafhardegg.htm

I buy this in a wine store in New Jersey, U.S.A.
It is not $7, but $14.99 U.S. Dollars.
I'll grade it as "B."

Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 09:53:23 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

> I cook Indian, also. To me it's a hard-call to decide what wine I will
> have with Indian cuisine.

Do you know the cookbook "Elegant & Inspired Vij's Indian Cuisine"?
It's not only excellent, but it also includes a wine recommendation
for each dish.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 09:53:23 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>

>> I cook Indian, also. To me it's a hard-call to decide what wine I will
>> have with Indian cuisine.

> Do you know the cookbook "Elegant & Inspired Vij's Indian Cuisine"?
> It's not only excellent, but it also includes a wine recommendation
> for each dish.
>
> --
> Ken Blake
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Thanks, Ken.
I believe I've seen that browing in a book store.
The review (below) does not mention a wine recommendation being added;
that's too bad for the review of the book.
I'm trying to remember if most of the wines were white. I'll be visiting
Borders soon and give it a look-see. Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds
like a good reference for learning as well as using.

An aside about wine recommendations in books -- I used to watch Andrea's
(sp?) Robinson (sp?) TV show. She does an awful lot of California wines and
lots of white. Both of which really do not appeal to me. I've looked at her
books longingly wishing for a more rounded wine list of recommendations, but
have always passed buying the book.

However, I absolutely loved her interviews with Mario Batali (these were at
the Borders Kitchen) and her recommendations for wine. They were always
interesting; Mario never seemed to take issue with them.

An aside, I haven't watched yet (but I have it recorded to watch) Mario and
Gwyneth in the Ribera del Duero, an area of wines I do like. I have to
steel myself to watch the show because Gwyn. really gets on my nerves!

"At Vij's, one of North America's most innovative Indian restaurants, owner
Vikram Vij and his wife Meeru use the freshest local ingredients and
original ideas to create exciting new takes on the cuisines of India. Though
far from traditional, the dishes remain true to one glorious hallmark of
Indian cooking: fabulous spicing. Among the luscious offerings included here
are yogurt and tamarind marinated grilled chicken, seared venison medallions
with fig and roasted pomegranate khoa, and marinated lamb popsicles in
fenugreek curry. Vegetarian selections abound, with dishes like portobello
mushrooms in porcini cream curry, coconut curried vegetables, and jackfruit
with cayenne and black cardamom. Recipes for naan, chapattis, raiti, and
other sides, staples, vegetables, and desserts allow readers to prepare an
Indian feast from beginning to end. As beautiful and sumptuous as the
recipes it contains, Vij's is a delicious manifesto for a new style of
Indian cooking."

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 13:04:10 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

> "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 09:53:23 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >> I cook Indian, also. To me it's a hard-call to decide what wine I will
> >> have with Indian cuisine.

> > Do you know the cookbook "Elegant & Inspired Vij's Indian Cuisine"?
> > It's not only excellent, but it also includes a wine recommendation
> > for each dish.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

> Thanks, Ken.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

> I believe I've seen that browing in a book store.
> The review (below) does not mention a wine recommendation being added;
> that's too bad for the review of the book.
> I'm trying to remember if most of the wines were white.

No, some are white and some are red.

> I'll be visiting
> Borders soon and give it a look-see. Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds
> like a good reference for learning as well as using.

I bought mine at Amazon.com, where it was much less expensive than at
any store I've seen it in.

> "At Vij's, one of North America's most innovative Indian restaurants, owner
> Vikram Vij and his wife Meeru use the freshest local ingredients and
> original ideas to create exciting new takes on the cuisines of India.

The restaurant is in Vancouver and we ate there this past summer. It
was excellent and was what spurred us to buy the book.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 13:04:10 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
>> > On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 09:53:23 -0400, "Dee Randall"

>> > Do you know the cookbook "Elegant & Inspired Vij's Indian Cuisine"?
>> > It's not only excellent, but it also includes a wine recommendation
>> > for each dish.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Ken Blake

> I bought mine at Amazon.com, where it was much less expensive than at
> any store I've seen it in.
>

> The restaurant is in Vancouver and we ate there this past summer. It
> was excellent and was what spurred us to buy the book.

No better reason!

I used to buy more at Amazon, but here are the places I buy now.
I love these two places. I bought my two big, big wine books at Jessica's
I believe. I've even bought their coffee.

I've bought remaindered books (the last one was a $75 book for $17 - usually
the jacket is missing.) This doesn't bother me, DH hates that, so I guess
that's why the are cheaper :-))

My absolute favorite is Jessica's biscuits: http://www.ecookbooks.com

http://www.bookcloseouts.com - this is fantastic, too

Cook-book nut!