Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Bdx, Burg, and Rheinhessen

With leftover lamb, a half bottle of the 1999 Quinault L'Enclos (St
Emilion). I'm not a strict traditionalist re Bordeaux, as noted I just
liked a Barde Haut, but this is a bit over the line for me. Cassis
fruit is intermixed with blueberry jam, big toasty oak still rampant.
Sweet and low acid, some drying tannins. Not something I would buy
again. B-

Also over two nights a bottle of the 2004 Gunderloch Niersteiner
Pettenthal Riesling (I didn't see any other designation, but in CT
they only list a Spatlese trocken from NP, and tastewise this would
fit- pretty dry, 13% abv). Quite open and giving from beginning. Big
expansive aromas of stone fruits with a hint of petrol on the nose. On
the palate just a teeny hint of sweetness, yellow plums and
nectarines, good length, an almost Mosel-like slatey note, a nice
bottle. B+/B

Sunday Betsy was in city in early evening, I was in charge of dinner.
I was determined to use up some vegetables in fridge (one container of
brussels sprouts, half a big bulb of fennel, 2 leeks). I grilled (pre-
braised)fennel and leeks and put in separate vinaigrettes, simmered
the sprouts, and made a Pepin recipe for chicken thighs with
mushrooms. Cooking wine was part leftover Riesling plus a bit of the
2006 Cave de Lugny "Les Charmes" Macon-Lugny. At first sip I thought
this awful (dilute, acrid, underfruited, overcropped) but a revisit
showed not so bad. It is thin, but whether it was my lowered
expectation on second sip or even just a little air helped, but in any
case it was at least drinkable, and acceptable as a $7 cooking wine.
Light pear fruit, high acidity, no apparent oak, short but not
unpleasant. I used to think this a good bargain 6 or 8 years ago, not
sure if it is wine that changed, my tastes, or variation (this is
maybe the French wine I see most in stores, must have huge production
numbers, not sure how they could ensure uniformity). C+

Dinner wine also wasn't as good first sip. Upon opening 2004 Michel
Lafarge Côte de Beaune Villages I thought I got a little bell pepper
with the red fruit. I can take a little bell in a Cab, but in Pinot-
shudder!!! But after a little break to finish cooking I found a
different wine. There's still just a hint of greenness, but it's
coming across as a light herbal note, not green pepper. The real
thrust of this wine is very pretty and bright red cherry fruit, with
slight accents of earth, spice, and herbs. Revisited after dinner it's
showing a bit darker cherry fruit, the herb notes have disappeared,
just earth and a touch of cocoa above the fruit. I enjoy. B+/B