Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Question Regarding Wine Accessory

Hi
I am kind of confused between a bucket for chilling Champagne or white wine
and one just for ice cubes.
What are the differences between the two and how actually they should be
called.
Wine Chiller, Champagne bucket, ice bucket?
Thanks
Raymond

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 22:27:11 +0800, "Raymond" >
wrote:

>Hi
>I am kind of confused between a bucket for chilling Champagne or white wine
>and one just for ice cubes.
>What are the differences between the two and how actually they should be
>called.
>Wine Chiller, Champagne bucket, ice bucket?
>Thanks
>Raymond

An ice bucket is a container for ice to be put in drinks. A wine
cooler is a container intended to hold with ice and water for cooling
Champagne etc. But I wouldn't rely on people understanding the
diiference.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message ...
| Raymond wrote:
| > Hi
| > I am kind of confused between a bucket for chilling Champagne or white wine
| > and one just for ice cubes.
| > What are the differences between the two and how actually they should be
| > called.
| > Wine Chiller, Champagne bucket, ice bucket?
|
| There is nothing special about an ice bucket for chilling wine. Any
| bucket and any ice will do the job.

There is a difference, though; if the bucket is to be placed on a table
or sideboard it wants to be double-walled or otherwise insulated so
the water condensation does not leak onto whatever is holding it. Not
so critical if you use a floor stand for the bucket but it could still become
problematic over a few hours.

pavane

Posted to alt.food.wine

Steve wrote on Sun, 05 Oct 2008 17:12:41 +0100:

>> Hi
>> I am kind of confused between a bucket for chilling Champagne
>> or white wine and one just for ice cubes. What are the
>> differences between the two and how actually they should be
>> called. Wine Chiller, Champagne bucket, ice
>> bucket? Thanks Raymond

> An ice bucket is a container for ice to be put in drinks. A
> wine cooler is a container intended to hold with ice and water
> for cooling Champagne etc. But I wouldn't rely on people
> understanding the diiference.

That's probably true but there are other wine coolers like the electric
Peltier effect chillers, the quite effective water-soaked unglazed
pottery cooled in the freezer or the plastic bottle sheaths using stuff
like blue ice. They all work well and can be placed on a table.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 5, 9:27*am, "Raymond" > wrote:
> Hi
> I am kind of confused between a bucket for chilling Champagne or white wine
> and one just for ice cubes.
> What are the differences between the two and how actually they should be
> called.
> Wine Chiller, Champagne bucket, ice bucket?

Many buckets are dual purpose, despite what they may be called. A
small, often expensive, crystal ice bucket may not be large enough to
hold a bottle of wine and enough ice. It more likely would be used at
a home bar for ice cubes for whiskey etc. Any container large enough
to hold a bottle and enough ice can be used as a wine bucket. Any are
likely to drip water if not insulated. A bucket I have has a foam
plastic liner you can use or not, depending on if dripping is a
problem. A more expensive solution is a double walled container. I
don't know of any wine bucket large enough for giant bottles such as
as Champagne bottles that can hold over the contents of 12 standard
single bottles. The bath tub or a very large, tall, plastic garbage
can might be suited for cooling such giants :-). At one time a
special, fancy, Champagne cart that straps in the bottle and tilts it
for pouring was used, and such devices sometimes turn up in antique
auctions. Lacking that, you might see if the local zoo will rent you a
gorilla to pour the wine or perhaps you could find a body builder at a
local gym strong enough to lift the bottle and pour the wine without
risking a hernia :-).

Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks guys
Lately I was in our local IKEA store looking for a bucket for chilling
Champagne.
I saw one that says "Ice Bucket". It has a cover and a grating at the bottom
supposedly to isolate melted water from ics cubes. It looks kind of shallow
for the standard 750ml bottle. Can I conclude that generally wine chillers
do not have a cover and grating and are usually quite tall?
Thanks
Raymond

"Raymond" > wrote in message
> Hi
> I am kind of confused between a bucket for chilling Champagne or white
> wine and one just for ice cubes.
> What are the differences between the two and how actually they should be
> called.
> Wine Chiller, Champagne bucket, ice bucket?
> Thanks
> Raymond

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Raymond" > wrote in message ...
| Thanks guys
| Lately I was in our local IKEA store looking for a bucket for chilling
| Champagne.
| I saw one that says "Ice Bucket". It has a cover and a grating at the bottom
| supposedly to isolate melted water from ics cubes. It looks kind of shallow
| for the standard 750ml bottle. Can I conclude that generally wine chillers
| do not have a cover and grating and are usually quite tall?

I once knew someone whom we called the Champagne Bucket. As you imply
she was quite tall, never wore a hat and was quite grating. Until you poured
enough Champagne into her, at any rate.

pavane

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Raymond" > skrev i melding
> Thanks guys
> Lately I was in our local IKEA store looking for a bucket for chilling
> Champagne.
> I saw one that says "Ice Bucket". It has a cover and a grating at the
> bottom supposedly to isolate melted water from ics cubes. It looks kind of
> shallow for the standard 750ml bottle. Can I conclude that generally wine
> chillers do not have a cover and grating and are usually quite tall?
> Thanks
> Raymond

Remember - it is not the ice that cools the bottle... It is the cold water
that covers the bottle fully and water is an extremely efficient heat
conductor.
Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote in message

> "Raymond" > skrev i melding
>> Thanks guys
>> Lately I was in our local IKEA store looking for a bucket for chilling
>> Champagne.
>> I saw one that says "Ice Bucket". It has a cover and a grating at the
>> bottom supposedly to isolate melted water from ics cubes. It looks kind
>> of shallow for the standard 750ml bottle. Can I conclude that generally
>> wine chillers do not have a cover and grating and are usually quite tall?
>> Thanks
>> Raymond
>>

> Remember - it is not the ice that cools the bottle... It is the cold water
> that covers the bottle fully and water is an extremely efficient heat
> conductor.
> Anders

Anders, you are absolutely right. Let me just add that for the purpose of
actually cooling down a luke-warm bottle your bucket should be tall enough
to allow the upper end of the bottle to be cooled as well! Occasionally you
see would-be sommeliers placing long "germanic" bottles (i.e. from Alsace or
most German or Austrian wine-growing regions) into smallish buckets only
filled half-way.

Incidentally, regarding the temperature conducting properties of water: if
you are in a hurry to cool down your bottle, it actually helps to add some
salt to water, as this will lower the temperature of the liquid in the
bucket. Of course, great care is needed when pouring the wine !!

Yves