FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: NZ SB and Burg Chard (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/162192-tn-nz-sb-burg.html)

DaleW 01-10-2008 02:19 AM

TN: NZ SB and Burg Chard

Couple of nights of dinners that weren't totally wine friendly, so a
couple of basic wines:

With pasta with spinach, mushrooms, lemon, and marsala, the 2007 Villa
Maria " Private Bin" Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough). Citrus, sharp, a
little herb. Decent acidity, but there are a lot of better NZ SBs out
there. B-/C+

With nile perch meuniere, leftover pasta w/shrooms/lemon/spinach, and
asparagus vinaigrette, the 2006 Matrot (Thierry and Pascale, but
they're all the same) Bourgogne blanc. Pear and apple fruit with a
squirt of lemon, but a bigger style than most previous vintages of
this. Riper/fatter than my absolute preference, but good fruit and a
bit of mineral. Would be a good "transition wine" if you were trying
to woo someone from CalChard to white Burg (or vice versa). B

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 08-10-2008 05:06 PM

TN: NZ SB and Burg Chard

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> Couple of nights of dinners that weren't totally wine friendly, so a
> couple of basic wines:
>
> With pasta with spinach, mushrooms, lemon, and marsala, the 2007 Villa
> Maria " Private Bin" Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough). Citrus, sharp, a
> little herb. Decent acidity, but there are a lot of better NZ SBs out
> there. B-/C+
>
> With nile perch meuniere, leftover pasta w/shrooms/lemon/spinach, and
> asparagus vinaigrette, the 2006 Matrot (Thierry and Pascale, but
> they're all the same) Bourgogne blanc. Pear and apple fruit with a
> squirt of lemon, but a bigger style than most previous vintages of
> this. Riper/fatter than my absolute preference, but good fruit and a
> bit of mineral. Would be a good "transition wine" if you were trying
> to woo someone from CalChard to white Burg (or vice versa). B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

One thing I like about the Villa Maria. When I need a white for cooking
it is go to.