Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Rioja and Rose

With leftover "paella" and salad, we tried a couple of wines:

2007 Dom. Fenouillet Cotes du Ventoux Rose
New one to me, this was I think leftover bottle- someone brought to
Labor Day fest and it was never opened. Rosenthal import. Strawberry
fruit, a little tobacco, moderate acidity. Not much length, but ok for
what it is. B/B-

1999 La Rioja Alta "Vina Ardanza" Rioja Reserva
Really a lot of spice, both on nose and palate. Clove and cinnamon,
and a good dose of American oak dilliness. Ripe red fruit, this is
surprisingly mature compared to a bottle couple years ago, if this is
typical drink up. I'd call this just to traditional side of center.
Nice balance of acidity and fruit, resolved tannins, a nice wine if
you're not totally oakaphobic (in which case you probably shouldn't be
drinking young Rioja). Personally, a little less oak would have been
even better for me, but I enjoyed. B+

*
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 27, 12:14�pm, santiago > wrote:
> DaleW > wrote in news:dafb560d-4179-4038-bb35-
> :
>

> > 1999 La Rioja Alta "Vina Ardanza" �Rioja �Reserva
> > Really a lot of spice, both on nose and palate. Clove and cinnamon,
> > and a good dose of American oak dilliness. Ripe red fruit, this is
> > surprisingly mature compared to a bottle couple years ago, if this is
> > typical drink up. I'd call this just to traditional side of center.
> > Nice balance of acidity and fruit, resolved tannins, a nice wine if
> > you're not totally oakaphobic (in which case you probably shouldn't be
> > drinking young Rioja). Personally, a little less oak would have been
> > even better for me, but I enjoyed. B+

> Interesting that you think it is "just to traditional side of center"
> because Vi�a Ardanza is very traditional to me. But then I have not had a
> Vi�a Ardanza for some time. I guess I will have to try some.
>
> Best,
>
> santiago

I'm sure that you have a LOT more Rioja experience than I. I thought
this less traditional feeling than lots of LdH, older CVNE, etc I've
had, but on other hand I tend to drink those older.