Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Burg and Aussie Shiraz

Last night with dinner I opened a 1997 Clarendon Hills Brookman
VIneyard Shiraz and a 1999 Leroy Chambolle Musigny "Les Fremieres".
The Clarendon Hills was beginning to show some age with a slightly
brickish tint in the glass. The nose was a bit metallic, perhaps beef
blood and ripe red plums. The wines was constantly evolving in the
glass moving through stages of deep plum notes, then sweet black
cherry then red beets and earth. I couldn't figure out if I liked it
or not but concluded that it probably wasn't going to get any better
and I should drink up the last few bottles. "B" on the Dale scale.

The 1999 Leroy Chambolle-Musigny "Les Fremieres" was quite tight on
opening. A bit cloudy in the glass and quite firm, stoney nose. L
bit of red berry on the nose. The wine was medium weight, quite firm
and tannic for about an hour. It finally opened a bit in the glass
and a bit of Asian spice and red raspberry. the wine never seemed to
open up fully and lacked a "wow" factor. "B" on the Dale Scale.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 27, 8:14�am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> Last night with dinner I opened a 1997 Clarendon Hills Brookman
> VIneyard Shiraz and a 1999 Leroy Chambolle Musigny "Les Fremieres".
> The Clarendon Hills was beginning to show some age with a slightly
> brickish tint in the glass. �The nose was a bit metallic, perhaps beef
> blood and ripe red plums. �The wines was constantly evolving in the
> glass moving through stages of deep plum notes, then sweet black
> cherry then red beets and earth. �I couldn't figure out if I liked it
> or not but concluded that it probably wasn't going to get any better
> and I should drink up the last few bottles. "B" on the Dale scale.
>
> The 1999 Leroy Chambolle-Musigny "Les Fremieres" was quite tight on
> opening. �A bit cloudy in the glass and quite firm, stoney nose. �L
> bit of red berry on the nose. �The wine was medium weight, quite firm
> and tannic for about an hour. �It finally opened a bit in the glass
> and a bit of Asian spice and red raspberry. �the wine never seemed to
> open up fully and lacked a "wow" factor. �"B" on the Dale Scale.

Too bad, at Leroy prices WOW is mandatory!

1997 Aussie Shiraz Bi!! Wine 0 24-05-2012 06:21 PM
TN: cooked white Burg, good white Burg, Barolo DaleW Wine 2 03-07-2011 12:47 PM
TN: Great wines in strange bottles- Burg, Bdx, Italy, US, Aussie, etcat Dan's DaleW Wine 0 30-07-2010 07:07 PM
TN: Bet dinner-'89 Bdx, '75 Bdx, '88 Aussie, '92 Burg DaleW Wine 0 29-09-2007 03:57 PM
TN: Surprise! I like a Shiraz more than a Burg DaleW Wine 7 10-06-2005 03:03 PM