Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2001 Schloss Johannisberg Kabinett (Rotlack) over 3 days

Monday: Light yellow colour. Comes across as very closed on the nose
(even after 2 hours in a big glass), offering just some apple and
grapefruit while giving the impression that much more is in reserve.
More giving on the palate with rich green apple, grapefruit and earthy
mineral notes. Quite dry and showing lots of power.

Tuesday: Still very tightly wound on the nose. In the mouth it's
another story though - tremendous richness for a Kabinett with plenty
of complexity, bright fruit and good acidity. The finish is very long
- almost absurdly long for a wine of its cost/pradikat.

Wednesday: After two days in the fridge this is really starting to
open out. Great aromatics with smoky and creamy flavours mingled with
apple, grapefruit and minerals. The palate is dominated by green
apple, grapefruit and some lemon over mineral notes. Very dry -
whatever residual sugar's in here is being buffered completely by the
acidity. Tremendous power and balance here. Unfortunately the end of
the bottle, although I'd have loved to have seen how this kept
developing with time. Fortunately I've got one remaining that I
probably won't touch for a little while longer, as this seems to have
years ahead of it. A fantastic, complex wine that's an absolute steal
for under $20.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 24, 10:32�pm, Salil > wrote:
> Monday: Light yellow colour. Comes across as very closed on the nose
> (even after 2 hours in a big glass), offering just some apple and
> grapefruit while giving the impression that much more is in reserve.
> More giving on the palate with rich green apple, grapefruit and earthy
> mineral notes. Quite dry and showing lots of power.
>
> Tuesday: Still very tightly wound on the nose. In the mouth it's
> another story though - tremendous richness for a Kabinett with plenty
> of complexity, bright fruit and good acidity. The finish is very long
> - almost absurdly long for a wine of its cost/pradikat.
>
> Wednesday: After two days in the fridge this is really starting to
> open out. Great aromatics with smoky and creamy flavours mingled with
> apple, grapefruit and minerals. The palate is dominated by green
> apple, grapefruit and some lemon over mineral notes. Very dry -
> whatever residual sugar's in here is being buffered completely by the
> acidity. Tremendous power and balance here. Unfortunately the end of
> the bottle, although I'd have loved to have seen how this kept
> developing with time. Fortunately I've got one remaining that I
> probably won't touch for a little while longer, as this seems to have
> years ahead of it. A fantastic, complex wine that's an absolute steal
> for under $20.

Nice note.

BTW, know you liked the '07 Dr L. It's part of a $7 sale at Zachys:
http://www.zachys.com/Default.aspx?S...3_ezine08_0925

I placed my order, some Dr L and Masciarelli MdA, plus a couple of
'05 Bernadotte at $20 and Pernot Bourgogne blanc @ $16.

Shipping might eat up your savings, of course.

[TN] '07 Schloss Lieser QbA Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 22-04-2009 11:04 PM
Schloss Hemingstein Yves Wine 0 04-04-2008 10:28 AM
TN: 2001 Pfalz Kabinett DaleW Wine 1 10-04-2007 04:46 PM
Schloss Johannisberg Riesling tns Salil Wine 0 08-08-2006 09:08 AM
1975 Firestone Johannisberg Riesling Susanne Wine 10 24-09-2004 01:35 PM