Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 06/05 Bernadotte?

Every year the Foires aux Vins is a chance to pick up some Borducks that
I wouldn't otherwise see. Sometimes, there's nothing of interest.
Sometimes (like this year at Intermarche) there's a great teaser: 05
d'Agassac (sp?) for 12.5 EU. Too bad they didn't have any of course,
but having gotten me there I did leave with a couple 02 du Tertre for
around 15.

Leclerc's circular just arrived, all the usual suspects (interesting
they avoid 05 altogether, too expensive for the super market clientelle
I guess).

They have a couple of interesting things, including 06 Bernadotte for
13.60 EU and 05 for 14.30. Haven't had, I remember Dale liking other
years. Anyone tried it?

Also 04 Destieux for 18.50 I'll probably get a couple.

Does anyone know a CdCastillon called Labesse or Roque le Mayne?
AVailable for 7 and 8 respectively, the names ring a bell but
can't place it.

Thanks

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 23, 1:10�pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> Every year the Foires aux Vins is a chance to pick up some Borducks that
> I wouldn't otherwise see. �Sometimes, there's nothing of interest..
> Sometimes (like this year at Intermarche) there's a great teaser: 05
> d'Agassac (sp?) for 12.5 EU. �Too bad they didn't have any of course,
> but having gotten me there I did leave with a couple 02 du Tertre for
> around 15.
>
> Leclerc's circular just arrived, all the usual suspects (interesting
> they avoid 05 altogether, too expensive for the super market clientelle
> I guess).
>
> They have a couple of interesting things, including 06 Bernadotte for
> 13.60 EU and 05 for 14.30. �Haven't had, I remember Dale liking other
> years. �Anyone tried it?
>
> Also 04 Destieux for 18.50 I'll probably get a couple.
>
> Does anyone know a CdCastillon called Labesse or Roque le Mayne?
> AVailable for 7 and 8 respectively, the names ring a bell but
> can't place it.
>
> Thanks
>
> -E

Emery,
I have a few bottles of Ch. Roque Le Mayne...not bad but not very
French in style. Somewhat big and oaky but a good value.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 23, 1:10�pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> Every year the Foires aux Vins is a chance to pick up some Borducks that
> I wouldn't otherwise see. �Sometimes, there's nothing of interest..
> Sometimes (like this year at Intermarche) there's a great teaser: 05
> d'Agassac (sp?) for 12.5 EU. �Too bad they didn't have any of course,
> but having gotten me there I did leave with a couple 02 du Tertre for
> around 15.
>
> Leclerc's circular just arrived, all the usual suspects (interesting
> they avoid 05 altogether, too expensive for the super market clientelle
> I guess).
>
> They have a couple of interesting things, including 06 Bernadotte for
> 13.60 EU and 05 for 14.30. �Haven't had, I remember Dale liking other
> years. �Anyone tried it?
>
> Also 04 Destieux for 18.50 I'll probably get a couple.
>
> Does anyone know a CdCastillon called Labesse or Roque le Mayne?
> AVailable for 7 and 8 respectively, the names ring a bell but
> can't place it.
>
> Thanks
>
> -E

I'm generally a Bernadotte fan, kind of mid-traditional. Haven't had
the '05, eying at $20. For a dollar's difference I'd go with '05 over
'06.
I think '04 Destieux is supposed to be good, but it's $21 or so here,
so 18.5 euros is not a bargain vs US.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bi!! wrote:
[]
> Emery,
> I have a few bottles of Ch. Roque Le Mayne...not bad but not very
> French in style. Somewhat big and oaky but a good value.

Thanks Bill. Exactly the sort of heads up I was looking for. Doesn't
sound like what I look for in a Castillon, I may buy a bottle just
to try though.

cheers,

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> On Sep 23, 1:10�pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
>> Every year the Foires aux Vins is a chance to pick up some Borducks that
>> I wouldn't otherwise see. �Sometimes, there's nothing of interest.
>> Sometimes (like this year at Intermarche) there's a great teaser: 05
>> d'Agassac (sp?) for 12.5 EU. �Too bad they didn't have any of course,
>> but having gotten me there I did leave with a couple 02 du Tertre for
>> around 15.
>>
>> Leclerc's circular just arrived, all the usual suspects (interesting
>> they avoid 05 altogether, too expensive for the super market clientelle
>> I guess).
>>
>> They have a couple of interesting things, including 06 Bernadotte for
>> 13.60 EU and 05 for 14.30. �Haven't had, I remember Dale liking other
>> years. �Anyone tried it?
>>
>> Also 04 Destieux for 18.50 I'll probably get a couple.
>>
>> Does anyone know a CdCastillon called Labesse or Roque le Mayne?
>> AVailable for 7 and 8 respectively, the names ring a bell but
>> can't place it.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> -E

> I'm generally a Bernadotte fan, kind of mid-traditional. Haven't had
> the '05, eying at $20. For a dollar's difference I'd go with '05 over
> '06.
> I think '04 Destieux is supposed to be good, but it's $21 or so here,
> so 18.5 euros is not a bargain vs US.

Thanks much Dale. It seemed to me the 05 would be the better candidate,
I'll likely pick up a case.

I used to buy Destieux direct in the old days, still have a little from
85/86 in fact. In those days it was a terrific value, and I still
remember it being 60FF in the early-mid 90s... Now of course all that's
changed, but I like it and think 18 is a fair price anyway, given
what you can drop for a correspondingly good (or not even as) bottle.
The difference of course is that I have to limit my purchases...

cheers,

-E

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 24, 7:41�am, Emery Davis > wrote:
> Bi!! wrote:
>
> []
>
> > Emery,
> > � � �I have a few bottles of Ch. Roque Le Mayne....not bad but not very
> > French in style. �Somewhat big and oaky but a good value.

> Thanks Bill. �Exactly the sort of heads up I was looking for. �Doesn't
> sound like what I look for in a Castillon, I may buy a bottle just
> to try though.
>
> cheers,
>
> -E

I believe that it is the Parker/Von Neipperg effect. After reading
your post I opened a bottle of Ch. Roque Le Mayne and it was quite
concentrated, even a bit jammy with plenty of oak. Very California in
style and it reminded me of Ch. Aiguilhe.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bi!! wrote:
> On Sep 24, 7:41�am, Emery Davis > wrote:
>> Bi!! wrote:
>>
>> []
>>
>>> Emery,
>>> � � �I have a few bottles of Ch. Roque Le Mayne...not bad but not very
>>> French in style. �Somewhat big and oaky but a good value.

>> Thanks Bill. �Exactly the sort of heads up I was looking for. �Doesn't
>> sound like what I look for in a Castillon, I may buy a bottle just
>> to try though.
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> -E

> I believe that it is the Parker/Von Neipperg effect. After reading
> your post I opened a bottle of Ch. Roque Le Mayne and it was quite
> concentrated, even a bit jammy with plenty of oak. Very California in
> style and it reminded me of Ch. Aiguilhe.

Sigh.
Posted to alt.food.wine
JT JT is offline

> Thanks much Dale. It seemed to me the 05 would be the better candidate,
> I'll likely pick up a case.
>
> I used to buy Destieux direct in the old days, still have a little from
> 85/86 in fact. In those days it was a terrific value, and I still
> remember it being 60FF in the early-mid 90s... Now of course all that's
> changed, but I like it and think 18 is a fair price anyway, given
> what you can drop for a correspondingly good (or not even as) bottle.
> The difference of course is that I have to limit my purchases...

Emery
I have a case of the Bernadotte 2005, bought for 10 quid a bottle, I was
going to leave it for a couple of years?

BTW, Bruges trip was great, went to Den Dyver, great food but a little
pricey. Had to have wine with food, could not take all those different
beers, though folk were ploughing throught he beer menu.

John

Posted to alt.food.wine

JT wrote:
>> Thanks much Dale. It seemed to me the 05 would be the better candidate,
>> I'll likely pick up a case.
>>
>> I used to buy Destieux direct in the old days, still have a little from
>> 85/86 in fact. In those days it was a terrific value, and I still
>> remember it being 60FF in the early-mid 90s... Now of course all that's
>> changed, but I like it and think 18 is a fair price anyway, given
>> what you can drop for a correspondingly good (or not even as) bottle.
>> The difference of course is that I have to limit my purchases...

> Emery
> I have a case of the Bernadotte 2005, bought for 10 quid a bottle, I was
> going to leave it for a couple of years?

John, I got my case of 05. I'm guessing it will want 3-5, but it's just
a guess since I haven't tried it. Anyway that's the time frame I'll
open a bottle.

Maybe Dale has an inkling as to ageability.

Found a couple of other unexpected bargains, some Moulin a Vent from
Janin, Saumur from St. Just, cheap 05 CdR from Brunel.

> BTW, Bruges trip was great, went to Den Dyver, great food but a little
> pricey. Had to have wine with food, could not take all those different
> beers, though folk were ploughing throught he beer menu.

Great! I look forward to trying the place. Did you notice if they
accept dogs, by any chance?

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 26, 7:30�am, Emery Davis > wrote:
> JT wrote:
> >> Thanks much Dale. �It seemed to me the 05 would be the better candidate,
> >> I'll likely pick up a case.

> >> I used to buy Destieux direct in the old days, still have a little from
> >> 85/86 in fact. �In those days it was a terrific value, and I still
> >> remember it being 60FF in the early-mid 90s... �Now of course all that's
> >> changed, but I like it and think 18 is a fair price anyway, given
> >> what you can drop for a correspondingly good (or not even as) bottle.
> >> The difference of course is that I have to limit my purchases...

> > Emery
> > I have a case of the Bernadotte 2005, bought for 10 quid a bottle, I was
> > going to leave it for a couple of years?

> John, I got my case of 05. �I'm guessing it will want 3-5, but it's just
> a guess since I haven't tried it. �Anyway that's the time frame I'll
> open a bottle.
>
> Maybe Dale has an inkling as to ageability.
>
> Found a couple of other unexpected bargains, some Moulin a Vent from
> Janin, Saumur from St. Just, cheap 05 CdR from Brunel.
>
> > BTW, Bruges trip was great, went to Den Dyver, great food but a little
> > pricey. Had to have wine with food, could not take all those different
> > beers, though folk were ploughing throught he beer menu.

> Great! �I look forward to trying the place. �Did you notice if they
> accept dogs, by any chance?
>
> -E

I haven't tried the '05, Typically my experience is that Bernadotte
probably drinks best 5-8 years after vintage. I have one 2000 left,
planning on drinking it soon. I don't think it typically has the
stuffing of some of its peers like Potensac, But again, just my
opinion, and I haven't tried the 2005. I just got a couple bottles,
will probably wait.