FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Chianti, MSR, Vouvray Brut, NY, Aussie cheapies, etc (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/161808-tn-chianti-msr-vouvray.html)

DaleW 21-09-2008 08:23 PM

TN: Chianti, MSR, Vouvray Brut, NY, Aussie cheapies, etc

Friday I opened a red to offer a friend/carpenter who was finished a
little work for me, then a Riesling to go with some sausages. Both
were also brought along to a party Saturday night:

2004 Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva
Nice midweight Sangiovese, enough acidity to balance the cherry fruit,
a little leather. On day 2 more of a dried cherry edge, with some soil
aromas. Quite good if not great. B+/B

2003 JJ Christoffel Erben Urziger Wurzgarten Spatlese
A little hint of sweet cherries along with lime and green apple.
Surprisingly young, and with good acidity for the year. This had a
real cork (I've had some '02/'03 Christoffel with plastic), mature but
not faded. A little sweeter than ideal for me. B

Saturday we went to a birthday party at some friends'. Theme was
Indian, I made a variation on lamb korma and Betsy made spinach with
almonds. Others brought chicken, lamb meatballs, meat and veggie
samosas, aloo mutter, raita, naan, etc. .I carried a bubbly Chenin as
well as the open bottles

NV Pinon Vouvray Brut
I like this recent batch. Fresh ripe apples, some doughy yeast aromas,
bright and with surprising length for a $20 bubbly. B+

Not a geek party, but some other wines offered:

2006 Benmarl Riesling
Round, sweet, short. Canned peaches. C+

2007 Santa Julia Torrontes
Good acids, peaches and grapefruit, a little grass, ok. B-

2007 Tall Poppy Chardonnay
Bottle is a Yellowtail lookalike. Wine is sweet edged with a slightly
artificial vanilla/oak edge (chips). Others liked it, not I. C

2006 Tall Poppy Cabernet Sauvignon
Sweet short and empty. C+

2006 Tall Poppy Shiraz
This was very sweet, but somehow it held my attention more than the
CS.
I had very low expectations after the other Tall Poppy wines, but this
seemed to have some concentration and backbone. Still too sweet
though, but the class of the bunch. B-

Nice time with friends.

*