Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Schloss Johannisberger & Rauenthaler Baiken Auslesen 1976, Latour1967

Schloss Johannisberger Rosalack Auslese 1976, A.P. Nr. 2602600477.
Rauenthaler Baiken Auslese 1976, Schloss Eltz, A.P. Nr. 3301000977.
Chateau Latour 1967. All bottles had been stored properly, and there
were no cork or other issues.

The Schloss Johannisberger auslese, like many from 1976, was very rich
and could pass for a BA in many years on the basis of taste. It was
bright golden and very rich. The fruit was a complex and intense mix
of temperate fruit such as candied apricots and peaches. The finish
was long. There was only a little of the aged Riesling petrol
character. There was much honey. There was just enough acid to balance
the great richness.

The Rauenthaler Baiken is a good example of what this wine can do in a
very ripe year. It is golden and extremely rich. It had some temperate
fruit character such as apricot. However it had very intense tropical
fruit character such as mango and papaya. There was enough acid to
balance. If served blind, I would likely think it to be a BA unless I
knew it was a 1976. There was only little petrol character. Also there
is a bit of mineral character and I am not sure what to call it, but
it is not like the Mosel slate character. There is much honey
character. The finish is very long.

For me, there is no doubt that the Rauenthaler Baiken is the better
wine. It is richer and more complex than the Schloss Johannisberger.

The year 1967 produced mostly red wines that were rather light, and
most are now well past their best. I was not expecting much from the
1967 Ch. Latour, but it was a quite drinkable wine with very typical
Bordeaux cassis. The color was still fairly deep, showing only
moderate age around the rim. There was still some dry tannin, but it
was not harsh. It just did not have the great intensity and complexity
that Latour often has in the best years, provided it is allowed enough
time to mature.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 20, 4:08�am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> Schloss Johannisberger Rosalack Auslese 1976, A.P. Nr. 2602600477.
> Rauenthaler Baiken Auslese 1976, Schloss Eltz, �A.P. Nr. 3301000977.
> Chateau Latour 1967. All bottles had been stored properly, and there
> were no cork or other issues.
>
> The Schloss Johannisberger auslese, like many from 1976, was very rich
> and could pass for a BA in many years on the basis of taste. It was
> bright golden and very rich. The fruit was a complex and intense mix
> of temperate fruit such as candied apricots and peaches. The finish
> was long. There was only a little of the aged Riesling petrol
> character. There was much honey. There was just enough acid to balance
> the great richness.
>
> The Rauenthaler Baiken is a good example of what this wine can do in a
> very ripe year. It is golden and extremely rich. It had some temperate
> fruit character such as apricot. However it had very intense tropical
> fruit character such as mango and papaya. There was enough acid to
> balance. If served blind, I would likely think it to be a BA unless I
> knew it was a 1976. There was only little petrol character. Also there
> is a bit of mineral character and I am not sure what to call it, but
> it is not like the Mosel slate character. There is much honey
> character. The finish is very long.
>
> For me, there is no doubt that the Rauenthaler Baiken is the better
> wine. It is richer and more complex than the Schloss Johannisberger.
>
> The year 1967 produced mostly red wines that were rather light, and
> most are now well past their best. I was not expecting much from the
> 1967 Ch. Latour, but it was a quite drinkable wine with very typical
> Bordeaux cassis. The color was still fairly deep, showing only
> moderate age around the rim. There was still some dry tannin, but it
> was not harsh. It just did not have the great intensity and complexity
> that Latour often has in the best years, provided it is allowed enough
> time to mature.

'76s are amazing,
I've only had a few '67s, but the Latour was probably my favorite.
Served blind last year I thought it a bit younger, maybe a '78 St
Julien:
Not huge, but with structure, nice blackcurrant fruit, a big tobacco
note.
Thanks for notes