Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Didier Dagueneau dead in an ultralight plane accident

http://www.decanter.com/news/268009.html
Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
> http://www.decanter.com/news/268009.html

What a great photo! And I thought he was older. Terrific link--thanks.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> http://www.decanter.com/news/268009.html

Thanks, Dale. I was looking for a link to post this very sad news. I
had very mixed feelings about his wines, but they were never dull, as
befits such a unique figure. He'll be missed.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 18, 7:50�am, DaleW > wrote:
> http://www.decanter.com/news/268009.html

It's interesting that just last night I pulled a bottle of his 2004
Silex along with a 2001 Domaine De Chevalier Blanc a 2006 Selene
Sauvignonn Blanc and a 2002 Cloudy Bay to taste and compare. They are
all so very different but at the end of the night everyone agreed that
the Silex was the wotn.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> www.decanter.com

Didn't he produce some of those ridiculously priced Sauvingon Blancs?

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 18, 12:15�pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> �DaleW > wrote:
> >www.decanter.com

> Didn't he produce some of those ridiculously priced Sauvingon Blancs?

Depends on how you think about it. If you think of Silex or Pur Sang
as Pouilly-Fume or as Sauvignon Blanc, they were dreadfully expensive.
But once you put that out of mind and just thought of them solely as
world class wines, they suddenly seem quite reasonable (a bit like
Vatan, R&V Dauvissat, Roc de Cambes, etc, in their respective
appellations).
Totally atypical for PF, big and barrel-fermented,sometimes a bit
oaky, but iconoclastic and remarkable wines

A real loss for the wine world imho.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 18, 12:32�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Sep 18, 12:15 pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,

> > DaleW > wrote:
> > >www.decanter.com

> > Didn't he produce some of those ridiculously priced Sauvingon Blancs?

> Depends on how you think about it. If you think of Silex or Pur Sang
> as Pouilly-Fume or as Sauvignon Blanc, they were dreadfully expensive.
> But once you put that out of mind and just thought of them solely as
> world class wines, they suddenly seem quite reasonable (a bit like
> Vatan, R&V Dauvissat, Roc de Cambes, etc, in their respective
> appellations).
> Totally atypical for PF, big and barrel-fermented,sometimes a bit
> oaky, but iconoclastic and remarkable wines
>
> A real loss for the wine world imho.

Just checked, looks like I paid between $40-55 for the '97, '98, and
'01 Pur Sangs in last 3 years. Expensive for SB, yes, but I felt I got
my money's worth from each
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> Depends on how you think about it. If you think of Silex or Pur Sang
> as Pouilly-Fume or as Sauvignon Blanc, they were dreadfully expensive.
> But once you put that out of mind and just thought of them solely as
> world class wines, they suddenly seem quite reasonable (a bit like
> Vatan, R&V Dauvissat, Roc de Cambes, etc, in their respective
> appellations).

Gee, I almost feel as if I've read that somewhere else today... :P

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 18, 12:46�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > Depends on how you think about it. If you think of Silex or Pur Sang
> > as Pouilly-Fume or as Sauvignon Blanc, they were dreadfully expensive.
> > But once you put that out of mind and just thought of them solely as
> > world class wines, they suddenly seem quite reasonable (a bit like
> > Vatan, R&V Dauvissat, Roc de Cambes, etc, in their respective
> > appellations).

> Gee, I almost feel as if I've read that somewhere else today... :P
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I added several extra words here, you know.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bi!!" > wrote in message
On Sep 18, 7:50?am, DaleW > wrote:
> http://www.decanter.com/news/268009.html

It's interesting that just last night I pulled a bottle of his 2004
Silex along with a 2001 Domaine De Chevalier Blanc a 2006 Selene
Sauvignonn Blanc and a 2002 Cloudy Bay to taste and compare. They are
all so very different but at the end of the night everyone agreed that
the Silex was the wotn.

I am under the impression that white wine does not improve after 2-3 years.
Can you enlighten me?
Thanks so much.
Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 18, 2:26�pm, "Dee Randall" > wrote:
> "Bi!!" > wrote in message

> On Sep 18, 7:50?am, DaleW > wrote:
>
> >http://www.decanter.com/news/268009.html

> It's interesting that just last night I pulled a bottle of his 2004
> Silex along with a 2001 Domaine De Chevalier Blanc a 2006 Selene
> Sauvignonn Blanc and a 2002 Cloudy Bay to taste and compare. �They are
> all so very different but at the end of the night everyone agreed that
> the Silex was the wotn.
>
> I am under the impression that white wine does not improve after 2-3 years.
> Can you enlighten me?
> Thanks so much.
> Dee Dee

Obviously, you're under the wrong impression! :-) Seriously, there
are lot's of white wines that will age for decades if stored properly
and built to last. Many Grand Cru and 1er Cru white Burgundies
(French chardonnay) can age for 10-20 years if they avoid prem-ox.
Riesling from Alsace and Germany is a long ager as are many white
wines from the Loire Valley made from Sauvignon Blanc, Semillion or
Chenin Blanc. Most of these long aging wines are from the Old World
but there are a few California Chards that will improve with age.
Most wines with low acidity fade quickly and should be consumed with a
year or two of release. This is all general and certainly there are
lots of exceptions but I'm still typing with a sling and detailed
typing is difficult!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 18, 3:13�pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Sep 18, 2:26 pm, "Dee Randall" > wrote:
>

> > "Bi!!" > wrote in message

> > On Sep 18, 7:50?am, DaleW > wrote:

> > >http://www.decanter.com/news/268009.html

> > It's interesting that just last night I pulled a bottle of his 2004
> > Silex along with a 2001 Domaine De Chevalier Blanc a 2006 Selene
> > Sauvignonn Blanc and a 2002 Cloudy Bay to taste and compare. They are
> > all so very different but at the end of the night everyone agreed that
> > the Silex was the wotn.

> > I am under the impression that white wine does not improve after 2-3 years.
> > Can you enlighten me?
> > Thanks so much.
> > Dee Dee

> Obviously, you're under the wrong impression! :-) �Seriously, there
> are lot's of white wines that will age for decades if stored properly
> and built to last. �Many Grand Cru and 1er Cru white Burgundies
> (French chardonnay) can age for 10-20 years if they avoid prem-ox.
> Riesling from Alsace and Germany is a long ager as are many white
> wines from the Loire Valley made from Sauvignon Blanc, Semillion or
> Chenin Blanc. �Most of these long aging wines are from the Old World
> but there are a few California Chards that will improve with age.
> Most wines with low acidity fade quickly and should be consumed with a
> year or two of release. �This is all general and certainly there are
> lots of exceptions but I'm still typing with a sling and detailed
> typing is difficult!- Hide quoted text -

I'd agree with everything you said (except for Semillon from the
Loire- I think you were thinking Bdx).
Another New World category that can age well is Australian Semillon
(and Riesling)
Without getting into the truly exceptional agers (Huet, Clos Ste Hune,
Haut Brion Blanc, etc) I'd say there are multiple examples of:
Loire SBs that are great at 8-15
Loire Chenins that are great at 10-25
White Burgundies that are great at 15-20
White Bdx that are great at 10-20
Austrian Rieslings and GVs that are great at 10-15
Alsace ditto
White Northern Rhones that are great at 10-20
White Riojas that are great at 15-50
If we get into off-dry Riesling or Chenin then windows can get really
long.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Dee Randall" > skrev i melding

> I am under the impression that white wine does not improve after 2-3
> years. Can you enlighten me?
> Thanks so much.
> Dee Dee

It is a general misconception that wine 'improves' by storage... :-) It
does change all the time, however, and whether for better or worse is an
individual decision. A woman I know loves Mosel wine (Riesling) but scorns
any older than 2 years... On the other hand I had last year a wonderful
Mosel, an Auslese, of the 1976 vintage - beautiful! Even she had to admit
that :-)
Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 18, 3:24�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Sep 18, 3:13 pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > On Sep 18, 2:26 pm, "Dee Randall" > wrote:

> > > It's interesting that just last night I pulled a bottle of his 2004
> > > Silex along with a 2001 Domaine De Chevalier Blanc a 2006 Selene
> > > Sauvignonn Blanc and a 2002 Cloudy Bay to taste and compare. They are
> > > all so very different but at the end of the night everyone agreed that
> > > the Silex was the wotn.

> > > I am under the impression that white wine does not improve after 2-3 years.
> > > Can you enlighten me?
> > > Thanks so much.
> > > Dee Dee

> > Obviously, you're under the wrong impression! :-) Seriously, there
> > are lot's of white wines that will age for decades if stored properly
> > and built to last. Many Grand Cru and 1er Cru white Burgundies
> > (French chardonnay) can age for 10-20 years if they avoid prem-ox.
> > Riesling from Alsace and Germany is a long ager as are many white
> > wines from the Loire Valley made from Sauvignon Blanc, Semillion or
> > Chenin Blanc. Most of these long aging wines are from the Old World
> > but there are a few California Chards that will improve with age.
> > Most wines with low acidity fade quickly and should be consumed with a
> > year or two of release. This is all general and certainly there are
> > lots of exceptions but I'm still typing with a sling and detailed
> > typing is difficult!- Hide quoted text -

> I'd agree with everything you said (except for Semillon from the
> Loire- I think you were thinking Bdx).
> Another New World category that can age well is Australian Semillon
> (and Riesling)
> Without getting into the truly exceptional agers (Huet, Clos Ste Hune,
> Haut Brion Blanc, �etc) I'd say there are multiple examples of:
> Loire SBs that are great at 8-15
> Loire Chenins that are great at 10-25
> White Burgundies that are great at 15-20
> White Bdx that are great at 10-20
> Austrian Rieslings and GVs that are great at 10-15
> Alsace ditto
> White Northern Rhones that are great at 10-20
> White Riojas that are great at 15-50
> If we get into off-dry Riesling or Chenin then windows can get really
> long.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, my bad...I meant Bordeaux.
Posted to alt.food.wine

.... and then there is white Hermitage. I tasted the Hermitage 1990 from
Chapoutier (and, fortunately, stocked up on it) this summer, and they are
very good indeed.
A Sancerre from 1989 that I aquired by auction also proved very drinkable,
but perhaps not with the same class.

Cheers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> On Sep 18, 12:15?pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >
> > ?DaleW > wrote:
> > >www.decanter.com

> > Didn't he produce some of those ridiculously priced Sauvingon Blancs?

> Depends on how you think about it. If you think of Silex or Pur Sang
> as Pouilly-Fume or as Sauvignon Blanc, they were dreadfully expensive.
> But once you put that out of mind and just thought of them solely as
> world class wines, they suddenly seem quite reasonable (a bit like
> Vatan, R&V Dauvissat, Roc de Cambes, etc, in their respective
> appellations).
> Totally atypical for PF, big and barrel-fermented,sometimes a bit
> oaky, but iconoclastic and remarkable wines
>
> A real loss for the wine world imho.

I have had Silex and one I believe was called Ajax. While I liked them
somewhat as interesting, the price that, at least someone else paid was
appalling, something like $300. I thought they were quite over-oaked for
Sauvingnon Blanc. In fact, I prefer no oak at all so these did not
change my world and for $300+ for a white wine it should.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 18, 8:22�pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �DaleW > wrote:
> > On Sep 18, 12:15?pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > > In article

> > > Didn't he produce some of those ridiculously priced Sauvingon Blancs?

> > Depends on how you think about it. If you think of Silex or Pur Sang
> > as Pouilly-Fume or as Sauvignon Blanc, they were dreadfully expensive.
> > But once you put that out of mind and just thought of them solely as
> > world class wines, they suddenly seem quite reasonable (a bit like
> > Vatan, R&V Dauvissat, Roc de Cambes, etc, in their respective
> > appellations).
> > Totally atypical for PF, big and barrel-fermented,sometimes a bit
> > oaky, but iconoclastic and remarkable wines

> > A real loss for the wine world imho.

> I have had Silex and one I believe was called Ajax. While I liked them
> somewhat as interesting, the price that, at least someone else paid was
> appalling, something like $300. I thought they were quite over-oaked for
> Sauvingnon Blanc. In fact, I prefer no oak at all so these did not
> change my world and for $300+ for a white wine it should.- Hide quoted text -

Silex is more like $50-65 (or was till yesterday). $300 must be the
Asteroide, which I've never even seen (I think 20 cases made per
year). I won't say that a Pur Sang or Silex ever changed my world, but
they were always fascinating wines (and I never found the oak dominant
in any drunk more than a couple years past release).
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 19, 4:01�am, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:

> >> Obviously, you're under the wrong impression! :-) Seriously, there
> >> are lot's of white wines that will age for decades if stored properly
> >> and built to last. Many Grand Cru and 1er Cru white Burgundies
> >> (French chardonnay) can age for 10-20 years if they avoid prem-ox.
> >> Riesling from Alsace and Germany is a long ager as are many white
> >> wines from the Loire Valley made from Sauvignon Blanc, Semillion or
> >> Chenin Blanc. Most of these long aging wines are from the Old World
> >> but there are a few California Chards that will improve with age.
> >> Most wines with low acidity fade quickly and should be consumed with a
> >> year or two of release. This is all general and certainly there are
> >> lots of exceptions but I'm still typing with a sling and detailed
> >> typing is difficult!- Hide quoted text -

> > I'd agree with everything you said (except for Semillon from the
> > Loire- I think you were thinking Bdx).
> > Another New World category that can age well is Australian Semillon
> > (and Riesling)
> > Without getting into the truly exceptional agers (Huet, Clos Ste Hune,
> > Haut Brion Blanc, �etc) I'd say there are multiple examples of:
> > Loire SBs that are great at 8-15
> > Loire Chenins that are great at 10-25
> > White Burgundies that are great at 15-20
> > White Bdx that are great at 10-20
> > Austrian Rieslings and GVs that are great at 10-15
> > Alsace ditto
> > White Northern Rhones that are great at 10-20
> > White Riojas that are great at 15-50
> > If we get into off-dry Riesling or Chenin then windows can get really
> > long.

> I would state that while most whites do not benefit from aging, those
> that do tend to derive greater benefit from aging than their red
> cousins. The transformations that a white undergoes with aging are far
> more radical and the results extremely pleasant.
>
> Funny, all these lists and not a single italian. I cannot think of an
> italian white that improves with aging.
>
> --
> Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
> email linkhttp://www.tommasi.org/mymail- Hide quoted text -

Valentini Trebbiano d'Abruzzo?

I don't know a lot about Italian whites, but only one that comes to
mind. I had a few 7-8 year old Jermanns a couple years ago that were
pretty good, but not sure they actually wouldn't have been as good or
better few years before. I've heard people opine that the Gravner and
Radikon wines need age, but only time will tell.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> On Sep 18, 8:22?pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >

> > ?DaleW > wrote:

> > > Depends on how you think about it. If you think of Silex or Pur Sang
> > > as Pouilly-Fume or as Sauvignon Blanc, they were dreadfully expensive.
> > > But once you put that out of mind and just thought of them solely as
> > > world class wines, they suddenly seem quite reasonable (a bit like
> > > Vatan, R&V Dauvissat, Roc de Cambes, etc, in their respective
> > > appellations).
> > > Totally atypical for PF, big and barrel-fermented,sometimes a bit
> > > oaky, but iconoclastic and remarkable wines

> > > A real loss for the wine world imho.

> > I have had Silex and one I believe was called Ajax. While I liked them
> > somewhat as interesting, the price that, at least someone else paid was
> > appalling, something like $300. I thought they were quite over-oaked for
> > Sauvingnon Blanc. In fact, I prefer no oak at all so these did not
> > change my world and for $300+ for a white wine it should.- Hide quoted text
> > -

> Silex is more like $50-65 (or was till yesterday). $300 must be the
> Asteroide, which I've never even seen (I think 20 cases made per
> year). I won't say that a Pur Sang or Silex ever changed my world, but
> they were always fascinating wines (and I never found the oak dominant
> in any drunk more than a couple years past release).

Yes, I believe it was the Asteroide now that you write the name. Well, I
only had the benefit of two wines and to me the fact that they had oak
in them at all turned me off as I prefer steel finished Sauvignon Blanc.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Tommasi" > skrev i melding
> Funny, all these lists and not a single italian. I cannot think of an
> italian white that improves with aging.

I had an Italian sticky one month ago, called Scacco Matto, from Albana di
Romagna. Not bad at all even when compared to German BA's and certainly
capable of 10 years ageing at the least!
Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 19, 9:55�am, "Anders T�rneskog" >
wrote:
> "Mike Tommasi" > skrev i ...> Funny, all these lists and not a single italian. I cannot think of an
> > italian white that improves with aging.

> I had an Italian sticky one month ago, called Scacco Matto, from Albana di
> Romagna. �Not bad at all even when compared to German BA's and certainly
> capable of 10 years ageing at the least!
> Anders

Yes, I wasn't thinking of sweet wines, probably some that can age.
Besides the Valentini, I had a Tuscan wine from Bibi Graetz that was
made from Ansonica that I thought might age short to medium term well,
but no actual experience with any age.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 18, 8:22�pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �DaleW > wrote:
> > On Sep 18, 12:15?pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > > In article

> > > Didn't he produce some of those ridiculously priced Sauvingon Blancs?

> > Depends on how you think about it. If you think of Silex or Pur Sang
> > as Pouilly-Fume or as Sauvignon Blanc, they were dreadfully expensive.
> > But once you put that out of mind and just thought of them solely as
> > world class wines, they suddenly seem quite reasonable (a bit like
> > Vatan, R&V Dauvissat, Roc de Cambes, etc, in their respective
> > appellations).
> > Totally atypical for PF, big and barrel-fermented,sometimes a bit
> > oaky, but iconoclastic and remarkable wines

> > A real loss for the wine world imho.

> I have had Silex and one I believe was called Ajax. While I liked them
> somewhat as interesting, the price that, at least someone else paid was
> appalling, something like $300. I thought they were quite over-oaked for
> Sauvingnon Blanc. In fact, I prefer no oak at all so these did not
> change my world and for $300+ for a white wine it should.- Hide quoted text -

The "normal" price for Silex 2005 is about $100.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 19, 9:30�am, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �DaleW > wrote:
> > On Sep 18, 8:22?pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > > In article

> > > I have had Silex and one I believe was called Ajax. While I liked them
> > > somewhat as interesting, the price that, at least someone else paid was
> > > appalling, something like $300. I thought they were quite over-oaked for
> > > Sauvingnon Blanc. In fact, I prefer no oak at all so these did not
> > > change my world and for $300+ for a white wine it should.- Hide quoted text
> > > -

> > Silex is more like $50-65 (or was till yesterday). $300 must be the
> > Asteroide, which I've never even seen (I think 20 cases made per
> > year). I won't say that a Pur Sang or Silex ever changed my world, but
> > they were always fascinating wines (and I never found the oak dominant
> > in any drunk more than a couple years past release).

> Yes, I believe it was the Asteroide now that you write the name. Well, I
> only had the benefit of two wines and to me the fact that they had oak
> in them at all turned me off as I prefer steel finished Sauvignon Blanc.- Hide quoted text -

I'm not sure that Silex has much if any oak. I find it to be quite
steely with a very pronounced minerality.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 19, 9:30�am, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �DaleW > wrote:
> > On Sep 18, 8:22?pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > > In article

> > > I have had Silex and one I believe was called Ajax. While I liked them
> > > somewhat as interesting, the price that, at least someone else paid was
> > > appalling, something like $300. I thought they were quite over-oaked for
> > > Sauvingnon Blanc. In fact, I prefer no oak at all so these did not
> > > change my world and for $300+ for a white wine it should.- Hide quoted text
> > > -

> > Silex is more like $50-65 (or was till yesterday). $300 must be the
> > Asteroide, which I've never even seen (I think 20 cases made per
> > year). I won't say that a Pur Sang or Silex ever changed my world, but
> > they were always fascinating wines (and I never found the oak dominant
> > in any drunk more than a couple years past release).

> Yes, I believe it was the Asteroide now that you write the name. Well, I
> only had the benefit of two wines and to me the fact that they had oak
> in them at all turned me off as I prefer steel finished Sauvignon Blanc.- Hide quoted text -

I like INOX SB for inexpensive sippers, but pretty much all of the
"serious" SB I like sees at least old oak (Vatan, Cotat,Bourgeois,
Pelle, etc as well as SB-heavy Bdx like DDC and La Louviere). Not
sure about NZ

Certainly if your ideal is light and with no hint of oak, I can see
how you didn't like Dagueneau. But for my tastes I found them always
interesting and occasionally profound. Except right on release I
never found them overly oaky (I think he mostly uses a midsize barrel,
not barrique). Pairing wise I'd treat them more like a HBB or DDC than
a typical Pouilly Fume.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Tommasi" > skrev i melding
>> I had an Italian sticky one month ago, called Scacco Matto, from Albana
>> di Romagna. Not bad at all even when compared to German BA's and
>> certainly capable of 10 years ageing at the least!
>> Anders

> Ah yes, it is surprisingly good. But then again all stickies will last a
> long time, but will it... "age"?
>
> The discussion was around dry whites though. I think.

Good question - will it get *better* with age? I guess you know the
Italians better than I do :-) Most German stickies are delightful when
young, many improve with some age if you like the taste. I'm fairly
confident that this Scacco Matto will stay good for quite some time but what
the end result will be is beyond me!

And, well, the OP only said "I am under the impression that white wine does
not improve after 2-3 years"...

Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote: