Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] 2005 Plan Pegau

With Jean out of town for the next few days, Andrew and I have been
baching it. Tonight, he was out with a babysitter so that I could work
late and I came home with a takeout sandwich and a need for some wine.
Knowing that Jean would eviscerate me should I open up anything good
while she's attending a meeting at Lake Tahoe, I eventually settled on a
bottle sitting in the "to drink" rack:

2005 Plan Pegau Vin de Table (13.5% ABV)
nose: kirsch, minerals, later a hint of smoke
palate: clean, cherryish fruit, acids, light body, a bit thin mid-palate

This wine came across as a middling Cote du Rhone equivalent, not unlike
a Perrin Reserve bottling. Not at all bad for a VdT (when did INAO
permit vintage dating Vin de Table?), though I expected little else from
one of my favorite winemakers in the S. Rhone (Laurence Feraud of Dom.
Pegau). Not a great bargain at $14.99 retail, and a clear notch below
my preferred CdR by Dom. de L'Espigouette.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2005 Plan Pegau

On Sep 17, 12:53�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> With Jean out of town for the next few days, Andrew and I have been
> baching it. �Tonight, he was out with a babysitter so that I could work
> late and I came home with a takeout sandwich and a need for some wine.
> Knowing that Jean would eviscerate me should I open up anything good
> while she's attending a meeting at Lake Tahoe, I eventually settled on a
> bottle sitting in the "to drink" rack:
>
> 2005 Plan Pegau Vin de Table (13.5% ABV)
> nose: kirsch, minerals, later a hint of smoke
> palate: clean, cherryish fruit, acids, light body, a bit thin mid-palate
>
> This wine came across as a middling Cote du Rhone equivalent, not unlike
> a Perrin Reserve bottling. �Not at all bad for a VdT (when did INAO
> permit vintage dating Vin de Table?), though I expected little else from
> one of my favorite winemakers in the S. Rhone (Laurence Feraud of Dom.
> Pegau). �Not a great bargain at $14.99 retail, and a clear notch below
> my preferred CdR by Dom. de L'Espigouette.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Yeah, I thought PP had a "Lot number" for vintage, but was
technically NV. Must be recent change. Thanks for note
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> On Sep 17, 12:53�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:

[]

bottle sitting in the "to drink" rack:

>> 2005 Plan Pegau Vin de Table (13.5% ABV)
>> nose: kirsch, minerals, later a hint of smoke
>> palate: clean, cherryish fruit, acids, light body, a bit thin mid-palate
>>
>> This wine came across as a middling Cote du Rhone equivalent, not unlike
>> a Perrin Reserve bottling. �Not at all bad for a VdT (when did INAO
>> permit vintage dating Vin de Table?), though I expected little else from
>> one of my favorite winemakers in the S. Rhone (Laurence Feraud of Dom.
>> Pegau). �Not a great bargain at $14.99 retail, and a clear notch below
>> my preferred CdR by Dom. de L'Espigouette.
>>
>> Mark Lipton
>> --
>> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> Yeah, I thought PP had a "Lot number" for vintage, but was
> technically NV. Must be recent change. Thanks for note

That's a lot of semolians for a vdt. Perhaps it was labled for export
only. The clue would be if twere marked "Product of France" not
"Produit de France"

Sorry to hear it wasn't better.

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> Yeah, I thought PP had a "Lot number" for vintage, but was
> technically NV. Must be recent change. Thanks for note

My bad! It is a lot number, just deviously rendered as L: 2005 with the
"lot number" far more visible than the L:. Cute way to skirt the law.

Mark Lipton

{TN] '98 Pegau Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 30-06-2012 03:15 AM
[TN] '99 Pegau CdP Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 12 10-06-2010 10:59 PM
'85 Cos, '00 Pegau, etc. Bi!! Wine 0 23-12-2009 04:50 PM
Les Cailloux and Pegau Bill S. Wine 4 21-06-2008 12:57 AM
Vineyard harvest plan - how to plan and control supply from many small vineyards New start Winemaking 1 24-01-2005 11:14 PM