Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Grillo

Last night (well, I mean Tues) Betsy had left for a composing session
in Boston, I had leftover chicken enchiladas/lasagna/whatever with
some open Riesling, but also tried the 2007 Feudo Montoni Grillo
(Sicily). I like Montoni's Nero, and have been wanting to try a Grillo
since I heard it described as minerally and good acids (not the first
things I think of for Sicily, but some Etnas impressed me recently). I
was basically disappointed, thinking the Grillo came across as flat
and uninteresting. But trying some now after 30 hours in fridge (I
just got in from a trip to city), I find it more appealing. A slightly
sharp nose, with a hint of flor/sherry. On the palate rather appealing
sweet pear fruit with a little almond note. I'm not getting the
minerals, and for my tastes acidity could have a little more zip, but
much better than before and quite a decent $10-12 wine. B

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 11, 2:05�am, DaleW > wrote:
> Last night (well, I mean Tues) Betsy had left for a composing session
> in Boston, I had leftover chicken enchiladas/lasagna/whatever with
> some open Riesling, but also tried the 2007 Feudo Montoni Grillo
> (Sicily). I like Montoni's Nero, and have been wanting to try a Grillo
> since I heard it described as minerally and good acids (not the first
> things I think of for Sicily, but some Etnas impressed me recently). I
> was basically disappointed, thinking the Grillo came across as flat
> and uninteresting. But trying some now after 30 hours in fridge (I
> just got in from a trip to city), I find it more appealing. A slightly
> sharp nose, with a hint of flor/sherry. On the palate rather appealing
> sweet pear fruit with a little almond note. I'm not getting the
> minerals, and for my tastes acidity could have a little more zip, but
> much better than before and quite a decent $10-12 wine. B
>
> �Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I just bought a few bottles of Tenuta di Trinoro 2006 Passopisciaro
made from Nerello Mascalese grapes gown on Mt Etna. The wine was not
what I expected. While a bit tannic it was quite ripe, full of
raspberry and cherry and quite delicious. I was given a bottle of the
Franchetti which I've tasted and it's a big monsterous wine from the
same area. They both changed my opinion of Scilian wines.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 11, 12:41�pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Sep 11, 2:05 am, DaleW > wrote:
>

> > Last night (well, I mean Tues) Betsy had left for a composing session
> > in Boston, I had leftover chicken enchiladas/lasagna/whatever with
> > some open Riesling, but also tried the 2007 Feudo Montoni Grillo
> > (Sicily). I like Montoni's Nero, and have been wanting to try a Grillo
> > since I heard it described as minerally and good acids (not the first
> > things I think of for Sicily, but some Etnas impressed me recently). I
> > was basically disappointed, thinking the Grillo came across as flat
> > and uninteresting. But trying some now after 30 hours in fridge (I
> > just got in from a trip to city), I find it more appealing. A slightly
> > sharp nose, with a hint of flor/sherry. On the palate rather appealing
> > sweet pear fruit with a little almond note. I'm not getting the
> > minerals, and for my tastes acidity could have a little more zip, but
> > much better than before and quite a decent $10-12 wine. B

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> I just bought a few bottles of Tenuta di Trinoro 2006 Passopisciaro
> made from Nerello Mascalese grapes gown on Mt Etna. �The wine was not
> what I expected. �While a bit tannic it was quite ripe, full of
> raspberry and cherry and quite delicious. �I was given a bottle of the
> Franchetti which I've tasted and it's a big monsterous wine from the
> same area. �They both changed my opinion of Scilian wines.- Hide quoted text -

I've had so many hot overripe wines that I didn't have much interest
in Sicily, but the Montoni Nero and a few Etnas changed my mind.