FoodBanter.com

-   -   moet & chandon 1980 (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/161347-moet-chandon-1980-a.html)

Bulasty 09-09-2008 01:21 PM

moet & chandon 1980

Hello Guys!

I managed to get Moet&Chandon Champagne Brut Imperial Rose 1980 from
some antique shop.
I wonder if it is nice champagne, can i still drink or it is now only
a collectable piece. Any idea of its market price?

Thanks for help.
Paul

cwdjrxyz 09-09-2008 06:27 PM

moet & chandon 1980

On Sep 9, 7:21*am, Bulasty > wrote:
> Hello Guys!
>
> I managed to get Moet&Chandon Champagne Brut Imperial Rose 1980 from
> some antique shop.
> I wonder if it is nice champagne, can i still drink or it is now only
> a collectable piece. Any idea of its market price?

Highest quality Champagne can last over the age of your wine
sometimes, so it still might be good. However the fact that it was
bought at an antique shop would send up warning flags for me.
Champagne needs to be stored at a fairly low and constant temperature
to keep well, and most antique shops I have seen do not have a proper
place for wine storage. Unless you can prove the Champagne has always
been properly stored, not many people who know fine wines are likely
to want to buy it, so the resale value would likely be low. It will
not hurt you to try drinking the Champagne. It will not make you sick.
However I would have a backup bottle of something else in case the
Champagne does not taste or smell very good.