Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 1998 Right Banker (from half)

Betsy was in city for a workshop, I was in charge of dinner. She
called as she left city, timing worked well as she got home just as
skirt steak (in Riesling/soy/chili oil marinade),squash, and eggplant
came off grill. Wine was a 375 of the 1998 Clos de l'Oratoire (St
Emilion). Nice modern styled Merlot, I'd say ready to go from half
bottle. Rich creamy texture, nose of raspberries and cedar, on the
palate dark plums and red berrries. Some cedar/cigarbox and a little
chocolate. Tannins are pretty well integrated, acidity is on low side,
but not flabby. Lush. No one is going to mistake this for Figeac,
Canon, or Magdelaine, it wears its "modernity" on its sleeve, but it
wears it well. B+

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 8, 8:35�am, DaleW > wrote:
> Betsy was in city for a workshop, I was in charge of dinner. She
> called as she left city, timing worked well as she got home just as
> skirt steak (in Riesling/soy/chili oil marinade),squash, and eggplant
> came off grill. Wine was a 375 of the 1998 Clos de l'Oratoire (St
> Emilion). Nice modern styled Merlot, I'd say ready to go from half
> bottle. Rich creamy texture, nose of raspberries and cedar, on the
> palate dark plums and red berrries. Some cedar/cigarbox and a little
> chocolate. Tannins are pretty well integrated, acidity is on low side,
> but not flabby. Lush. No one is going to mistake this for Figeac,
> Canon, or Magdelaine, it wears its "modernity" on its sleeve, but it
> wears it well. B+
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I always found the Clos de L'Oratoire to be a good buy. IIRC it's
part of the Stephan Von Neipperg along with La Mondotte and Canon La
Gaffeliere.