FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Macon, Saar, Loire (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/161295-tn-macon-saar-loire.html)

DaleW 07-09-2008 11:28 PM

TN: Macon, Saar, Loire

Betsy had a discussion about Shabbat prayers with some friends last
week, we discussed getting together. Somehow an email got lost, but
luckily we discovered at 5 PM Friday we were expected for dinner.
Betsy stopped her food prep, we headed to dinner. Started with a glass
of white on the porch. Trying not to be geeky, I didn't ask what it
was. A bit oxidative, I'm guessing tired Chardonnay. A fresher bottle
of the 2005 Domaine Bourdon Macon-Villages was opened with the meal
(very nice- challah, gefilte fish, chicken, beets, kasha*varnishkes*,
and salad). Apple/pear fruit, a light nutty note even in the fresh
bottle, not very long, doesn't hold much interest, but we certainly
enjoy the evening. B-/C+

Saturday tropical storm Hanna gave us lots of rain, and Betsy made the
dish she had planned for Friday. A "Mexican lasagna" (tortillas,
chicken, salsa verde, cheese) - just a little heat from a couple
Serranos and an aqito, plus some acidic bite from the tomatillos.
Dave was with us, and we opened 2 wines (probably beer would be best
with this, but both did ok- not that hot a dish):

2007 van Volxem Saar Riesling
Peach and nectarine, some clementine, touch of smoke, mineral finish.
This is just slightly off-dry, think halbtrocken, good length and
concentration for QbA. I notice it says "Mosel" on side of label, I
guess the MSR is no more as a designation (knew it was coming, not
when). Tonight it's more apple and citrus, but just as nice. Will get
more. B+

2006 Guion "Cuvee Domaine" Bourgueil
I think that was 8 bucks and change on sale. Great deal. Nice red
fruit accented with a little Cab Franc herbiness, a little tobacco
leaf too. Light tannins, lively but not harsh acidity, nice finish for
the level. Nice lighter styled food red. B