Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TNs: Mosel and Rheinhessen Rieslings

Weingut Keller Riesling Kabinett 2007
16 bucks from Chambers when it was on sale. I should have bought a LOT
more. A bit of sulphur initially and once that blows off this shows
incredibly pure, clean flavours of lemons, pear, minerals and some
hints of cherry. Incredible precision and focus with bright acidity
and a medium length finish. Tastes almost dry (feels like a
halbtrocken), fantastic with food. I need to grab more of this when
I'm next in NY.

Meulenhof Erdener Pralat Riesling Spatlese 2005
And to the opposite end of the residual sugar spectrum. I love
Meulenhof's wines - they're incredibly inexpensive, crammed with very
ripe fruit (while still retaining that Mosel minerality and elegance),
usually quite sweet and accessible and this is no different. Lots of
sweet youthful fruit here - apple, yellow plums, peach and some floral
notes with some slate and faintly herbal notes underneath. There's
decent acidity keeping it in balance, although it's barely felt under
the richness of the wine (this could easily pass as Auslese from most
other producers). Another easy thumbs up.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 7, 1:39�am, Salil > wrote:
> Weingut Keller Riesling Kabinett 2007
> 16 bucks from Chambers when it was on sale. I should have bought a LOT
> more. A bit of sulphur initially and once that blows off this shows
> incredibly pure, clean flavours of lemons, pear, minerals and some
> hints of cherry. Incredible precision and focus with bright acidity
> and a medium length finish. Tastes almost dry (feels like a
> halbtrocken), fantastic with food. I need to grab more of this when
> I'm next in NY.
>
> Meulenhof Erdener Pralat Riesling Spatlese 2005
> And to the opposite end of the residual sugar spectrum. I love
> Meulenhof's wines - they're incredibly inexpensive, crammed with very
> ripe fruit (while still retaining that Mosel minerality and elegance),
> usually quite sweet and accessible and this is no different. Lots of
> sweet youthful fruit here - apple, yellow plums, peach and some floral
> notes with some slate and faintly herbal notes underneath. There's
> decent acidity keeping it in balance, although it's barely felt under
> the richness of the wine (this could easily pass as Auslese from most
> other producers). Another easy thumbs up.

Meulenhof sounds good, I agree re the Keller, thanks