Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Urbans Hof QbA

Betsy had gone for Chinese market for fresh rice noodles, they were in
a stirfry with long beans and shrimp, accompanied with grilled
Japanese eggplant with peanut sauce and some hiyayakko (tofu). I
opened the 2007 St Urbans Hof Riesling QbA. I've liked 2007 so far,
generally find this bottling to be good value, and heard praise of
Weis in '07. But this is probably least exciting of the '07s I've had
yet, not having the vibrancy of most. It's moderately sweet, with a
rather broad creamy texture, pleasant apple/pear with some grapefruit,
but not very minerally. This isn't bad wine by any stretch, but I'm
not seeking more. B-

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Betsy had gone for Chinese market for fresh rice noodles, they were in
> a stirfry with long beans and shrimp, accompanied with grilled
> Japanese eggplant with peanut sauce and some hiyayakko (tofu). I
> opened the 2007 St Urbans Hof Riesling QbA. I've liked 2007 so far,
> generally find this bottling to be good value, and heard praise of
> Weis in '07. But this is probably least exciting of the '07s I've had
> yet, not having the vibrancy of most. It's moderately sweet, with a
> rather broad creamy texture, pleasant apple/pear with some grapefruit,
> but not very minerally. This isn't bad wine by any stretch, but I'm
> not seeking more. B-

That's too bad, Dale. I too have liked the SUH QbA in previous years,
including the '06. Your note reinforces the idea that '07 wasn't a
uniformly successful year, despite the return of Kabinetts.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks for the note, Dale. Just curious - have you tried the Leitz
Dragonstone? My favourite QBA/Kab of 07 thus far - just spectacular
value (although I've got a Keller Kabinett that I bought from CSW that
I may crack this weekend that I've got high hopes for as well).

Cheers,
Salil
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 5, 2:33 am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> including the '06. Your note reinforces the idea that '07 wasn't a
> uniformly successful year, despite the return of Kabinetts.
>
> Mark Lipton

I'll have to argue there Mark. I've seen a lot to interest me so far
in 07 at both the QBA, Kab and Spatlese levels and there also seems to
be more wine than 06.
So far I've had some really nice QBAs from Loosen and Leitz (the
Dragonstone is fabulous) and the Spats I've had recently - a
Christoffel Erdener Treppchen and a Schmitt-Wagner Longuicher
Maximiner Herrenberg - have both been lovely. My favourite so far
though has been the Geil Scheu that Chambers are selling at about 14
bucks. Nothing I've found too disappointing from this vintage as yet,
touchwood.

BTW - I had a look at Terry Theise's assessment of the vintage at
http://www.skurnikwines.com/msw/2007germanvintage.html - he was very
optimistic about the wines and said that it seemed quite successful
from region to region (as opposed to some previous years when the Nahe
and/or Mosel had significantly better luck/conditions than the rest).

Cheers,

Salil
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 4, 2:33�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > Betsy had gone for Chinese market for fresh rice noodles, they were in
> > a stirfry with long beans and shrimp, accompanied with grilled
> > Japanese eggplant with peanut sauce and some hiyayakko (tofu). I
> > opened the 2007 St Urbans Hof Riesling QbA. I've liked 2007 so far,
> > generally find this bottling to be good value, and heard praise of
> > Weis in '07. But this is probably least exciting of the '07s I've had
> > yet, not having the vibrancy of most. It's moderately sweet, with a
> > rather broad creamy texture, pleasant apple/pear with some grapefruit,
> > but not very minerally. This isn't bad wine by any stretch, but I'm
> > not seeking more. B-

> That's too bad, Dale. �I too have liked the SUH QbA in previous years,
> including the '06. �Your note reinforces the idea that '07 wasn't a
> uniformly successful year, despite the return of Kabinetts.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

If you see it you should try. it; I'd welcome a second opinion.. I had
a long day and maybe I just wasn't "in the mood." I'll actually retry
tonight

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 4, 2:34�pm, Salil > wrote:
> Thanks for the note, Dale. Just curious - have you tried the Leitz
> Dragonstone? My favourite QBA/Kab of 07 thus far - just spectacular
> value (although I've got a Keller Kabinett that I bought from CSW that
> I may crack this weekend that I've got high hopes for as well).
>
> Cheers,
> �Salil

No, haven't tried yet. It's at PJ and on my list for next time.
The Keller is the basic Kab? I liked a lot.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
Salil > wrote:

> On Sep 5, 2:33 am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> > including the '06. Your note reinforces the idea that '07 wasn't a
> > uniformly successful year, despite the return of Kabinetts.
> >
> > Mark Lipton

> I'll have to argue there Mark. I've seen a lot to interest me so far
> in 07 at both the QBA, Kab and Spatlese levels and there also seems to
> be more wine than 06.
> So far I've had some really nice QBAs from Loosen and Leitz (the
> Dragonstone is fabulous) and the Spats I've had recently - a
> Christoffel Erdener Treppchen and a Schmitt-Wagner Longuicher
> Maximiner Herrenberg - have both been lovely. My favourite so far
> though has been the Geil Scheu that Chambers are selling at about 14
> bucks. Nothing I've found too disappointing from this vintage as yet,
> touchwood.
>
> BTW - I had a look at Terry Theise's assessment of the vintage at
> http://www.skurnikwines.com/msw/2007germanvintage.html - he was very
> optimistic about the wines and said that it seemed quite successful
> from region to region (as opposed to some previous years when the Nahe
> and/or Mosel had significantly better luck/conditions than the rest).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Salil

I have to agree with Mark here and considering how bad the dollar has
been the prices have been quite reasonable. All I have tried have been
very good but I have only tried a few QBA's and Kabinetts. To early for
the Spatleses and Ausleses for me. Maybe after the first of the year on
those.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 4, 4:02�pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �Salil > wrote:
> > On Sep 5, 2:33 am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> > > including the '06. �Your note reinforces the idea that '07 wasn't a
> > > uniformly successful year, despite the return of Kabinetts.

> > > Mark Lipton

> > I'll have to argue there Mark. I've seen a lot to interest me so far
> > in 07 at both the QBA, Kab and Spatlese levels and there also seems to
> > be more wine than 06.
> > So far I've had some really nice QBAs from Loosen and Leitz (the
> > Dragonstone is fabulous) and the Spats I've had recently - a
> > Christoffel Erdener Treppchen and a Schmitt-Wagner Longuicher
> > Maximiner Herrenberg - have both been lovely. My favourite so far
> > though has been the Geil Scheu that Chambers are selling at about 14
> > bucks. Nothing I've found too disappointing from this vintage as yet,
> > touchwood.

> > BTW - I had a look at Terry Theise's assessment of the vintage at
> >http://www.skurnikwines.com/msw/2007germanvintage.html- he was very
> > optimistic about the wines and said that it seemed quite successful
> > from region to region (as opposed to some previous years when the Nahe
> > and/or Mosel had significantly better luck/conditions than the rest).

> > Cheers,

> > �Salil

> I have to agree with Mark here and considering how bad the dollar has
> been the prices have been quite reasonable. All I have tried have been
> very good but I have only tried a few QBA's and Kabinetts. To early for
> the Spatleses and Ausleses for me. Maybe after the first of the year on
> those.- Hide quoted text -

I tried the SUH again last night (a glass with hot dogs before we went
to see Vicky Cristina Barcelona). I maybe liked it a tad better than
night before, but think still it ranks behind the other 2007s I have
tried- Dr L, Keller Kab, Leitz RM kab, etc.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 5, 9:58�am, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
>
> � > I tried the SUH again last night (a glass with hot dogs before we went
>
> > to see Vicky Cristina Barcelona).

> Dale
>
> Somehow the name that sprang to mind was Daniela Barcellona. Who is VCB?
>
> Mike
>
> --
> Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
> email linkhttp://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Name of new Woody Allen film. Good, not classic (but incredible shots
of Barcelona) . Sorry should have been clearer.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > I tried the SUH again last night (a glass with hot dogs before we went
>> to see Vicky Cristina Barcelona).

> Dale
>
> Somehow the name that sprang to mind was Daniela Barcellona. Who is VCB?

It's not a who, it's a what: Woody Allen's most recent film.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 5, 2:49 am, DaleW > wrote:
> The Keller is the basic Kab? I liked a lot.

That comment got me to pull the cork on the Keller a bit sooner than I
expected. Had a couple of glasses with dinner tonight. Incredibly
clean, precise, elegant and too easy to drink. Brilliant stuff. More
reason for me to be happy about 07!

Cheers,
Salil