Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Many wines on Labor Day, inc. 71 Barolo

A lovely Labor Day in NY, and a lot of friends showed up in our
backyard. Betsy made an astounding eggplant/squash/tomato tart (last
week's Cooks Illustrated mailing) and a cold Georgian chicken dish. I
made mango salsa; I also grilled sausages, salmon in a teriyaki-ish
marinade, corn, beef in a red wine/garlic marinade, etc. Others
brought a lot of nice sides and a few desserts. In a stunning moment
of idiocy on my part, Mark handed me a bag of marinaded shrimp- I
threw on the grill, not realizing they were basically ceviche shrimp-
we discovered they are great warmed, too. I actually forgot I had
dozens of hot dogs, luckily Betsy remembered when a bunch of people
came late.

Not a geeky party, but Mark from my SOBER group was there along with
most of my local tasting group. Lots of wines were poured, I tried to
sample each, some brief thoughts often based on one quick taste:

Bubbly:
2005 Domaine du Petit Coteau Vouvray Brut
Yeasty, baked apples, pleasant, but I think I'm spoiled by recent
bottles from Huet and Foreau. Good not great.B

Pink:
2007 Tenuta dell Terre Nere Etna Rosato
Cherries and strawberries, onionskins and earth. I like this a lot,
will get more. B++

2007 Clos Roche Blanche Pineau d'Aunis Rose
Strawberries, pine needles, interesting but needs a bit more zip/
backbone. B-

White:
2007 Loosen "Dr. L" Riesling
Again, I think this is best vintage of this widely available cheapie
in years. Bright, linear, clean. Don't come looking for profundity,
but enjoyable. B/B+

2007 Leitz Rudesheimer Klosterlay Kabinett Riesling
Usual showing, bigger thant the L, but sprightly for Rheingau. B

2006 Brocard/Domaine Ste Claire Petit Chablis
Clean Chardonnay fruit accented with citrus zest, enough chalky
minerality to make you think you're in Chablis proper,fun and clean. B/
B+

2006 Clos Roche Blanche "No. 5" Sauvignon Blanc (Touraine)
Big, ripe, tropical fruit. Not especially SB-ish, but nice wine. B

2007 Anselmi San Vincenzo
Very floral nose - peach blossoms, roses. Peaches, apples,and citrus
fruit; a hint of almond. Good value, B+/B

2006 Fetzer "Valley Oaks" Riesling
I've liked some Fetzer wines,but this wouldn't be one of them. Grape
juice and the syrup from a can of pears, flabby, short, with a little
offputting herb note. C-

Red:
2004 Biondi "Outis" Etna Rosso
Beautiful berry fruit married with some oregano/basil herbiness.
Nicely balanced acidity, light tannins, I like a lot (maybe more than
others). B+

2006 McManis Family Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
Very very sweet, this is CS with a little blackberry and blueberry jam
stirred in, should be served over the rocks at a bar. C

1971 Anforio Barolo Riserva Speciale
Ron said he had loved Barolos in Italy, but felt too expensive here.
Decided to open one. A new producer to me, I bought because (a)cheap,
(b) great vintage, and (c) a store that I respect (CSW). This is not
bad,
but I'm bothered at first by a slightly pruney/candied edge to the red
fruit. Despite it's age I think it improves a bit in decanter, Mark
remarks on the "iron filings." When he points out, I find what I
usually refer to a ferric minerality in some Bordeaux. Mark says that
can be typical of older Barolos, I've never encountered, but he drinks
20X as many old Piedmonts as I do. The second pour (decanter is pretty
quickly emptied) has fresher fruit and good length. In the end. B/B+

2006 Monte Degli Angeli Pinot Noir (Monferrato)
Monferrato is in Piedmont. Maybe not prime Nebbiolo territory,but I've
enjoyed some Grignolino and Ruche. I don't, however, like this PN.
Short, a little vanilla with canned cherries, there's not much here. I
don't think I've liked a Pinot Nero save one di Ama that the real Jay
Miller served at an offline (and that was good not great). A waste of
vineyard space. C/C+

2005 Moulin Rouge (Haut Medoc)
Solid -make that stolid- Bordeaux, it's there, but not showing much-
dark fruit, a little oak, is this closed or just dull? C+/B-

2006 Terres Doress (JP Brun ) Cote de Brouilly
Sweet fruit, clean, upfront, but without a lot of oomph- I think I
prefer the L'Ancien. B

2004 Domaine de l'Amandine Cotes du Rhone
Straightforward, a bit simple, but clean red fruits and decent acidic
balance. B-

Fun day/evening with a fun group.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> A lovely Labor Day in NY, and a lot of friends showed up in our
> backyard. Betsy made an astounding eggplant/squash/tomato tart (last
> week's Cooks Illustrated mailing) and a cold Georgian chicken dish. I
> made mango salsa; I also grilled sausages, salmon in a teriyaki-ish
> marinade, corn, beef in a red wine/garlic marinade, etc.

Interesting foods, Dale. Care to elaborate on the "cold Georgian
chicken"? And, coincidentally, we made an eggplant/summer squash/tomato
napoleon on Sunday, using a recipe garnered from Williams-Sonoma (and
who knows where they got it?). It accompanied a Blue Ginger
miso-marinaded Chilean sea bass dish that I cooked on the grill. Wines
were repeats from last week: '04 Allram GV and '03 Loimer Lois GV.

> White:
> 2007 Loosen "Dr. L" Riesling
> Again, I think this is best vintage of this widely available cheapie
> in years. Bright, linear, clean. Don't come looking for profundity,
> but enjoyable. B/B+

Nice lineup of whites, Dale. I'm glad to hear about this wine, as it's
reliably available locally.

> 2006 Fetzer "Valley Oaks" Riesling
> I've liked some Fetzer wines,but this wouldn't be one of them. Grape
> juice and the syrup from a can of pears, flabby, short, with a little
> offputting herb note. C-

Pity, but hardly surprising. I can count on one hand the number of CA
Rieslings that I'll willingly put in my mouth. Not an easy combination
of growing conditions and variety IMO. Again, coincidentally, we had an
'06 Fetzer Valley Oaks Chardonnay with friends on Saturday (in magnum,
no less!) and it was passable if no better.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Glad to hear the Klosterlay's shining again in 07. From what I heard,
Leitz seemed to really hit it out of the park in this vintage. I've
only had the 07 Dragonstone so far from his lineup, but it was a
beauty - one of my favourite QBAs so far.
Agree fully on the Dr. L - it's probably the best Loosen wine I've had
in some time. Really liked the clean, bright fruit, the minerality,
elegance and lift in that (which I don't find that much in his wines -
I've had some that I found too fruit cocktail-ish without the acid or
minerality to really interest me).

Cheers,

Salil
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> A lovely Labor Day in NY, and a lot of friends showed up in our
> backyard. Betsy made an astounding eggplant/squash/tomato tart (last
> week's Cooks Illustrated mailing) and a cold Georgian chicken dish.

Is this from the Jimmy Carter's Georgia or the one that is having a
tiff with Russia of late?

Godzilla
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 2, 12:27�pm, Godzilla > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > A lovely Labor Day in NY, and a lot of friends showed up in our
> > backyard. Betsy made an astounding eggplant/squash/tomato tart (last
> > week's Cooks Illustrated mailing) and a cold Georgian chicken dish.

> Is this from the Jimmy Carter's Georgia or the one that is having a
> tiff with Russia of late?
>
> Godzilla

the latter; "Georgia's always on my my my my my mind" not "an old
sweet song keeps Georgia on my mind" (did you know that actually the
song was written about a person, not the state?).

Posted to alt.food.wine

The chicken dish is called satsivi, chicken in a walnut paste.
Apparently close to national dish of Georgia,
The torta recipe is he
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/reci...de=L8HN5B K00

I have to say the Blue Ginger cookbook bats a very high average for
me.
Agree re CA Riesling.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> Tenuta dell Terre Nere Etna Rosato

Do you have a resource for this wine. I can't find it anywhere on line?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 2, 4:39�pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> �DaleW > wrote:
> > Tenuta dell Terre Nere Etna �Rosato

> Do you have a resource for this wine. I can't find it anywhere on line?

I got it at Suburban Wine in Yorktown (upper Westchester), NY. They
seemed to have plenty
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 2, 5:21�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Sep 2, 4:39 pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,

> > DaleW > wrote:
> > > Tenuta dell Terre Nere Etna Rosato

> > Do you have a resource for this wine. I can't find it anywhere on line?

> I got it at Suburban Wine in Yorktown (upper Westchester), NY. They
> seemed to have plenty

http://www.wineaccess.com/store/subu...ct_id=10985232
At least in store, 10% mixed case discount.

www.PJwine.com also has.

I somehow left off an e, it's delle Terrre Nere
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> suburban

Thanks, I will order 3 bottles and see if I have the same experience.
The recipe also looked interesting especially with lots of left over
tomatoes and eggplant from the summer.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 2, 11:28�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
.. �Care to elaborate on the "cold Georgian
> chicken"? �

OK, more info on the satsivi (asked Betsy last night). I think I have
this right:
Poach chicken in ch. broth. Meat off bones, reserve broth.
Make a pesto of walnuts, garlic, and cilantro.
Cook large amount of onions till it breaks down.
Make sauce from some of the (now double strength) broth, the pesto,
and the onions,
Add a load of spices including fenugreek, coriander, tumeric, etc.
Combine with chicken, chill. Take out half-hour before serving.
Should be recipes on web, or if you want I could snail you copy.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> The chicken dish is called satsivi, chicken in a walnut paste.
> Apparently close to national dish of Georgia,
> The torta recipe is he
> http://www.cooksillustrated.com/reci...de=L8HN5B K00
>
> I have to say the Blue Ginger cookbook bats a very high average for
> me.
> Agree re CA Riesling.

Thanks, Dale. Your torta is quite a bit more work than what Jean made
the other night, so I'll file it away as one of "my" recipes ;-)

Mark

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> On Sep 2, 11:28�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> . �Care to elaborate on the "cold Georgian
>> chicken"? �

> OK, more info on the satsivi (asked Betsy last night). I think I have
> this right:
> Poach chicken in ch. broth. Meat off bones, reserve broth.
> Make a pesto of walnuts, garlic, and cilantro.
> Cook large amount of onions till it breaks down.
> Make sauce from some of the (now double strength) broth, the pesto,
> and the onions,
> Add a load of spices including fenugreek, coriander, tumeric, etc.
> Combine with chicken, chill. Take out half-hour before serving.
> Should be recipes on web, or if you want I could snail you copy.

Many thanks, Dale. Sounds like a very interesting dish, vaguely
reminiscent of Moroccan cooking.

Mark

TN: Labor Day week wines DaleW Wine 0 04-09-2012 06:05 PM
TN: Wines, mostly in NH (Bdx, MSR, Loire, Barolo, etc) DaleW Wine 0 11-07-2009 04:39 PM
TN Labor Day wines (from bargain Gruner to '83 Meyney) DaleW Wine 1 05-09-2007 07:45 PM
TN: Labor Day wines DaleW Wine 0 05-09-2006 05:41 PM
TN: Labor Party wines Dale Williams Wine 10 09-09-2004 04:01 AM