Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Labor Day weekend Rieslings

1994 Weingut Gunter Steinmetz Muhlheimer Sonnenlay Riesling Spätlese
Light yellow colour. Initially dominated by lots of petrol on the nose
and palate. With time complex flavours of spices, pear and apple
emerge amongst the petrol and smoke with a little sweetness in the
mouth. Lots of depth and layers here - this kept getting better with
time in the glass as the flavours became better integrated and more
seamless. At 20 bucks from Chambers St. Wines, this is unbelievable
value for money.

2001 Dr. H. Thanisch Bernkasteler Doctor Riesling Spätlese
Very pale straw yellow colour. The nose initially seems closed and
offers very little, but opens with time to show elegant aromas of
pear, apple, minerals and white flowers with some faint honeyed petrol
notes. Light bodied and very elegant on the palate with complex apple,
yellow pear and white fruit flavours over a core of minerals and
lively acidity. Finish is medium length. Gives the impression that
it's in a transitive stage and needs time in the cellar.

2007 Carl Schmitt-Wagner Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg Riesling
Spätlese
Felt a little disjointed/awkward at first with some sulphur, but
quickly came together with a little air time. Beautiful on the nose
with nectarine, mandarin orange, verbena and aloe. Slightly sweet and
very complex on the palate with cherry, orange peel, peach and faint
spicy and honeyed notes suggesting some botrytis. Bright acidity with
a clean finish.

2001 Zind-Humbrecht Clos Windsbuhl Riesling
Medium gold colour. Tightly wound at first, but the nose quickly
uncoils with air and time to reveal intense aromas of smoke, petrol,
grapefruit, green apples, earthy minerals and flowers. Broad, full and
very rich on the palate with lots more earthy minerals, grapefruit,
apple, spices and some green banana notes. Despite its size, this
shows perfect balance with good acidity and a long, powerful finish. A
great wine to sit down with over a few hours - this was fascinating to
explore as it kept developing and evolving with time.

2006 Meulenhof Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
Spatlese - yeah right. This is at least Auslese in terms of ripeness,
if not BA. The nose is very ripe showing bananas, apples, apricots,
peaches, minerals and some botrytised notes. Very sweet on the palate
with ripe tropical and white fruits, honey, banana, spiced apple and
some minerals. Despite the extravagant sweetness this is well balanced
with good acidity and fairly light on its feet, finishing long and
clean. Lovely - very pleasant to sip on after a meal, and fantastic
value given that it's priced as a Spatlese (I'm sure in any other
vintage it'd be sold as an Auslese at the very least, and priced at a
fair bit more than the $19 I paid).
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 2, 2:24�am, Salil > wrote:
> 1994 Weingut Gunter Steinmetz Muhlheimer Sonnenlay Riesling Sp�tlese
> Light yellow colour. Initially dominated by lots of petrol on the nose
> and palate. With time complex flavours of spices, pear and apple
> emerge amongst the petrol and smoke with a little sweetness in the
> mouth. Lots of depth and layers here - this kept getting better with
> time in the glass as the flavours became better integrated and more
> seamless. At 20 bucks from Chambers St. Wines, this is unbelievable
> value for money.
>
> 2001 Dr. H. Thanisch Bernkasteler Doctor Riesling Sp�tlese
> Very pale straw yellow colour. The nose initially seems closed and
> offers very little, but opens with time to show elegant aromas of
> pear, apple, minerals and white flowers with some faint honeyed petrol
> notes. Light bodied and very elegant on the palate with complex apple,
> yellow pear and white fruit flavours over a core of minerals and
> lively acidity. Finish is medium length. Gives the impression that
> it's in a transitive stage and needs time in the cellar.
>
> 2007 Carl Schmitt-Wagner Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg Riesling
> Sp�tlese
> Felt a little disjointed/awkward at first with some sulphur, but
> quickly came together with a little air time. Beautiful on the nose
> with nectarine, mandarin orange, verbena and aloe. Slightly sweet and
> very complex on the palate with cherry, orange peel, peach and faint
> spicy and honeyed notes suggesting some botrytis. Bright acidity with
> a clean finish.
>
> 2001 Zind-Humbrecht Clos Windsbuhl Riesling
> Medium gold colour. Tightly wound at first, but the nose quickly
> uncoils with air and time to reveal intense aromas of smoke, petrol,
> grapefruit, green apples, earthy minerals and flowers. Broad, full and
> very rich on the palate with lots more earthy minerals, grapefruit,
> apple, spices and some green banana notes. Despite its size, this
> shows perfect balance with good acidity and a long, powerful finish. A
> great wine to sit down with over a few hours - this was fascinating to
> explore as it kept developing and evolving with time.
>
> 2006 Meulenhof Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Sp�tlese
> Spatlese - yeah right. This is at least Auslese in terms of ripeness,
> if not BA. The nose is very ripe showing bananas, apples, apricots,
> peaches, minerals and some botrytised notes. Very sweet on the palate
> with ripe tropical and white fruits, honey, banana, spiced apple and
> some minerals. Despite the extravagant sweetness this is well balanced
> with good acidity and fairly light on its feet, finishing long and
> clean. Lovely - very pleasant to sip on after a meal, and fantastic
> value given that it's priced as a Spatlese (I'm sure in any other
> vintage it'd be sold as an Auslese at the very least, and priced at a
> fair bit more than the $19 I paid).

Thank for interesting notes.
I forgot I wanted the Steinmetz when I was placing my order during
moving sale ($14!), but glad to know it's a value at $20 (picking up
order tomorrow)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 2, 2:24�am, Salil > wrote:
> 1994 Weingut Gunter Steinmetz Muhlheimer Sonnenlay Riesling Sp�tlese
> Light yellow colour. Initially dominated by lots of petrol on the nose
> and palate. With time complex flavours of spices, pear and apple
> emerge amongst the petrol and smoke with a little sweetness in the
> mouth. Lots of depth and layers here - this kept getting better with
> time in the glass as the flavours became better integrated and more
> seamless. At 20 bucks from Chambers St. Wines, this is unbelievable
> value for money.
>
> 2001 Dr. H. Thanisch Bernkasteler Doctor Riesling Sp�tlese
> Very pale straw yellow colour. The nose initially seems closed and
> offers very little, but opens with time to show elegant aromas of
> pear, apple, minerals and white flowers with some faint honeyed petrol
> notes. Light bodied and very elegant on the palate with complex apple,
> yellow pear and white fruit flavours over a core of minerals and
> lively acidity. Finish is medium length. Gives the impression that
> it's in a transitive stage and needs time in the cellar.
>
> 2007 Carl Schmitt-Wagner Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg Riesling
> Sp�tlese
> Felt a little disjointed/awkward at first with some sulphur, but
> quickly came together with a little air time. Beautiful on the nose
> with nectarine, mandarin orange, verbena and aloe. Slightly sweet and
> very complex on the palate with cherry, orange peel, peach and faint
> spicy and honeyed notes suggesting some botrytis. Bright acidity with
> a clean finish.
>
> 2001 Zind-Humbrecht Clos Windsbuhl Riesling
> Medium gold colour. Tightly wound at first, but the nose quickly
> uncoils with air and time to reveal intense aromas of smoke, petrol,
> grapefruit, green apples, earthy minerals and flowers. Broad, full and
> very rich on the palate with lots more earthy minerals, grapefruit,
> apple, spices and some green banana notes. Despite its size, this
> shows perfect balance with good acidity and a long, powerful finish. A
> great wine to sit down with over a few hours - this was fascinating to
> explore as it kept developing and evolving with time.
>
> 2006 Meulenhof Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Sp�tlese
> Spatlese - yeah right. This is at least Auslese in terms of ripeness,
> if not BA. The nose is very ripe showing bananas, apples, apricots,
> peaches, minerals and some botrytised notes. Very sweet on the palate
> with ripe tropical and white fruits, honey, banana, spiced apple and
> some minerals. Despite the extravagant sweetness this is well balanced
> with good acidity and fairly light on its feet, finishing long and
> clean. Lovely - very pleasant to sip on after a meal, and fantastic
> value given that it's priced as a Spatlese (I'm sure in any other
> vintage it'd be sold as an Auslese at the very least, and priced at a
> fair bit more than the $19 I paid).

Damn, Rosemary from CSW just called to say they ran out of the
Steinmetz.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 3, 3:40 am, DaleW > wrote:
> Damn, Rosemary from CSW just called to say they ran out of the
> Steinmetz.

D'oh!
Oh well, at least there's still a decent stock of Scheu for me to
chase on my next visit...