Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Cap de Faugèes, Ice Cider and Cantemerle

Two friends arrived late on Friday but were peckish so with some 3 yr old
cheddar I opened my last bottle of 97 Cap de Faugères - perhaps not an ideal
match but who cares? There was a hint of brick but the nose - wow! Intense
floral, cassis, dark fruit. Berry fruit on the palate and medium length. I
wish I still had more even though it was a 97. A few weeks ago I was served
another Côtes de Castillon, a 2001 Ch.la Perrière, with rack of lamb over
poutine (at a Quebecois resto). Although it was similar on the nose, it was
nothing like as intense or enjoyable as the CdF.

After a visit to a rural farmers' market and a drive through Kananaskis
country, dinner started with duck foie gras with which we drank an Ice Cider
from Quebec that my visitors had brought. IC is Quebec's answer to icewine.
The match was very good - a much more intense apple flavour than from normal
cider.

With bison rib-eye steaks, simply grilled and served with steamed "banana"
potatoes and carrots we had the '02 Ch.Cantemerle. Cassis on the nose and
palate, pleasant acidity with resolved tannins and I'm not disappointed that
I have another bottle. Probably a B on the DW scale!

Graham

TN: Many Cantemerle, many La Lagune DaleW Wine 0 29-06-2014 10:08 PM
Cider-Roasted Turkey with Bacon-Apple Cider Gravy Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 19-11-2007 02:51 AM
TN 1988 Cantemerle DaleW Wine 5 27-06-2007 03:13 PM
TN: Cantemerle and Zilliken DaleW Wine 0 10-03-2007 11:21 PM
TN: 1990 Cantemerle DaleW Wine 10 20-09-2006 08:27 AM