Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Loire Bubbly and 2 cheap Bdx

Last night had a friend over, as his wife was out of town for a
funeral and he had just dropped off his kid for 1st day of boarding
school. We traded kid stories/gripes, enjoyed a cool night, and
watched the dogs play.

With hummus and crudite followed by a shrimp/corn/tomato salad, the NV
Foreau Vouvray Brut. Bigger style of bubbly, just a light fizz, big
baked apple and some grapefruit, good length, gets better with air.
This is last from a few (Lot 2011) that I got a year or two ago, a
little bottle age has this showing a little nuttier/richer than
previous bottle. B+

With grilled double rib lamb chops, squash, and potatoes, a pair of
reds:

2005 Ch. Peyredoulle (Cotes de Blaye)
Just a hint of tannins, some acidity, moderate fruit. Black plums, not
a lot here, but ok for the under $10 tag. B-

2003 Deyrem-Valentin (Margaux)
Some trepidation opening this, not huge fan of '03 in Southern Medoc.
Not so bad. Big crushed berry nose, dark berry fruit, modest tannins,
a little espresso. This is running a bit of the fat side, but doesn't
fall into the flabby category. More acid and more depth would be
welcome, but ok for cheap Margaux. Ron is more of a New World guy and
liked more than I. B/B-

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> Last night had a friend over, as his wife was out of town for a
> funeral and he had just dropped off his kid for 1st day of boarding
> school. We traded kid stories/gripes, enjoyed a cool night, and
> watched the dogs play.
>
> With hummus and crudite followed by a shrimp/corn/tomato salad, the NV
> Foreau Vouvray Brut. Bigger style of bubbly, just a light fizz, big
> baked apple and some grapefruit, good length, gets better with air.
> This is last from a few (Lot 2011) that I got a year or two ago, a
> little bottle age has this showing a little nuttier/richer than
> previous bottle. B+
>
> With grilled double rib lamb chops, squash, and potatoes, a pair of
> reds:
>
> 2005 Ch. Peyredoulle (Cotes de Blaye)
> Just a hint of tannins, some acidity, moderate fruit. Black plums, not
> a lot here, but ok for the under $10 tag. B-
>
> 2003 Deyrem-Valentin (Margaux)
> Some trepidation opening this, not huge fan of '03 in Southern Medoc.
> Not so bad. Big crushed berry nose, dark berry fruit, modest tannins,
> a little espresso. This is running a bit of the fat side, but doesn't
> fall into the flabby category. More acid and more depth would be
> welcome, but ok for cheap Margaux. Ron is more of a New World guy and
> liked more than I. B/B-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I am a fan of the Francois Chidaine Vouvray. Some don't like all of the
flowers in the nose but to my taste this is a great opening wine.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 29, 11:15�am, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �DaleW > wrote:
> > Last night had a friend over, as his wife was out of town for a
> > funeral and he had just dropped off his kid for 1st day of boarding
> > school. We traded kid stories/gripes, enjoyed a cool night, and
> > watched the dogs play.

> > With hummus and crudite followed by a shrimp/corn/tomato salad, the NV
> > Foreau Vouvray Brut. Bigger style of �bubbly, just a light fizz, big
> > baked apple and some grapefruit, good length, gets better with air.
> > This is last from a few (Lot 2011) that I got a year or two ago, a
> > little bottle age has this showing a little nuttier/richer than
> > previous bottle. B+

> > With grilled double rib lamb chops, squash, and potatoes, a pair of
> > reds:

> > 2005 Ch. Peyredoulle (Cotes de Blaye)
> > Just a hint of tannins, some acidity, moderate fruit. Black plums, not
> > a lot here, but ok for the under $10 tag. B-

> > 2003 Deyrem-Valentin (Margaux)
> > Some trepidation opening this, not huge fan of '03 in Southern Medoc.
> > Not so bad. Big crushed berry nose, dark berry fruit, modest tannins,
> > a little espresso. This is running a bit of the fat side, but doesn't
> > fall into the flabby category. More acid and more depth would be
> > welcome, but ok for cheap Margaux. Ron is more of a New World guy and
> > liked more than I. B/B-

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> I am a fan of the Francois Chidaine Vouvray. Some don't like all of the
> flowers in the nose but to my taste this is a great opening wine.- Hide quoted text -

I don't think I've had Chidaine's Vouvray brut, it's probably only
been out last couple of years? He took over the Prince P properties a
few years ago, probably the sournce. I've enjoyed his Montlouis Brut.
Will keep an eye out for the Vouvray,thanks