FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Rising tides don't lift all boats (04 and '05 Bdx) (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/160893-tn-rising-tides-dont.html)

DaleW 28-08-2008 02:53 PM

TN: Rising tides don't lift all boats (04 and '05 Bdx)

Last night Betsy and a friend headed to Boscobel to watch "Cymbeline."
I was left at home with the dog, a steak (sadly for Lucy, I didn't
really share), beans, salad, and leftover greens. I opened the 2005
Ch. Saint-Jacques (Pomerol). I temper my expectations due to the M.
Touton on label. Good thing I didn't have my hopes up. Wood overlying
ripe cherry fruit, but despite the ripeness there's an annoying green
streak. Tannins are rough and biting, though overall this has less
body than I expect from a 2005 Bordeaux. I decide this ISN'T what I
want with my steak, set aside. Revisited 3+ hours later, the tannins
have softened a bit, though still tacky, and overall its a bit better.
Still, no desire to save, and about 20 oz goes into vinegar crock. C

My switchover steak wine was a half bottle of the 2004 Ch. Cantemerle
(Haut-Medoc). A touch of vanilla over some solid cassis fruit, nicely
balanced acidity, tannins there but ripe/supple. Some pencil on
finish. Much more attractive than the unknown Pomerol, a nice fairly
classic claret that could use a little time. B/B+

When Betsy got home, she brought back a couple of ounces from the 375
of 2004 Ch. d'Aiguilhe I had armed her with. Ripe berries and dark
plums, noticable toasty oak that isn't too obtrusive, just a hint of
ferric minerals. Modern but nice, though I'd give the edge to the
Cantemerle. B