Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Grand Vin des Verdots 1999

Hi,

tasted today for the first time since buying it about 6 years ago.

Les Verdots is one of a few "super bergerac" vineyards.
http://www.verdots.com/gb/vignoble_presentation.htm

The wine was their top red when it was made, though they have created
a new "top" wine since then.

Dominated by merlot, the wine was aged 18 months in new oak barrels.

I servec it to go with salt baked duck magrets, and decanted 2 full
hours before serving.

The colour was very intense and deep, but with little suggestion left
of purple. Almost dusky.

When first poured, the wine showed leathery gamy notes over a powerful
attack of blackcurrant on the nose. The mouth was very full and long,
with the same gamy notes integrated with blackcurrant. The tannins
were perfectly integrated and supported the fruit beautifully.

After a further half an hour or so, the wine had opened out further
and the tertiary aromas has receded . The huge nose was now dominated
by the fruit. A very fine wine indeed, reminiscent of a really good St
Emilion. On the Hoare scale, yum yum yum.
--
All the best
Fatty from Forges
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 24, 6:59*pm, IanH > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> tasted today for the first time since buying it about 6 years ago.
>
> Les Verdots is one of a few "super bergerac" vineyards.http://www.verdots..com/gb/vignoble_presentation.htm
>
> The wine was their top red when it was made, though they have created
> a new "top" wine since then.
>
> Dominated by merlot, the wine was aged 18 months in new oak barrels.
>
> I servec it to go with salt baked duck magrets, and decanted 2 full
> hours before serving.
>
> The colour was very intense and deep, but with little suggestion left
> of purple. Almost dusky.
>
> When first poured, the wine showed leathery gamy notes over a powerful
> attack of blackcurrant on the nose. The mouth was very full and long,
> with the same gamy notes integrated with blackcurrant. The tannins
> were perfectly integrated and supported the fruit beautifully.
>
> After a further half an hour or so, the wine had opened out further
> and the tertiary aromas has receded . The huge nose was now dominated
> by the fruit. A very fine wine indeed, reminiscent of a really good St
> Emilion. *On the Hoare scale, yum yum yum.

Thanks for the tasting note. Unfortunately Bergerac wines in general
are difficult to find where I live. Perhaps someday I will find Les
Verdots in a large city in the US. From the company distribution map,
I see that they only distribute to Florida and California in the US,
and I do not know which of their wines they send.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 27, 2:59�am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> On Aug 24, 6:59�pm, IanH > wrote:
>

> > Hi,

> > tasted today for the first time since buying it about 6 years ago.

> > Les Verdots is one of a few "super bergerac" vineyards.http://www.verdots.com/gb/vignoble_presentation.htm

> > The wine was their top red when it was made, though they have created
> > a new "top" wine since then.

> > Dominated by merlot, the wine was aged 18 months in new oak barrels.

> > I servec it to go with salt baked duck magrets, and decanted 2 full
> > hours before serving.

> > The colour was very intense and deep, but with little suggestion left
> > of purple. Almost dusky.

> > When first poured, the wine showed leathery gamy notes over a powerful
> > attack of blackcurrant on the nose. The mouth was very full and long,
> > with the same gamy notes integrated with blackcurrant. The tannins
> > were perfectly integrated and supported the fruit beautifully.

> > After a further half an hour or so, the wine had opened out further
> > and the tertiary aromas has receded . The huge nose was now dominated
> > by the fruit. A very fine wine indeed, reminiscent of a really good St
> > Emilion. �On the Hoare scale, yum yum yum.

> Thanks for the tasting note. Unfortunately Bergerac wines in general
> are difficult to find where I live. Perhaps someday I will find �Les
> Verdots in a large city in the US. From the company distribution map,
> I see that they only distribute to Florida and California in the US,
> and I do not know which of their wines they send.- Hide quoted text -

WS shows 2003 Clos des Verdots, both blanc and rose, for $156. Seems a
little steep for pink Bergerac to me, I'd assume this is mistaken
listing- maybe it's a case.

I've never seen a Bergerac around here over $15, most are well under
$10. I see mostly whites. The red Bergerac I've had were mostly from
producers that seem to mostly be about volume- I'd assume Seigneurs de
Bergerac is a co-op. Would love to try a "Super Bergerac."
Posted to alt.food.wine

Hi,

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 23:59:35 -0700 (PDT), cwdjrxyz
> wrote:

>Thanks for the tasting note. Unfortunately Bergerac wines in general
>are difficult to find where I live.

To be honest, really good wines are hard to find anywhere. A couple of
serious "cavistes" will sell maybe one or two middle end wines from a
producer or two, but that's about it.

The problem is that unlike Bordeaux such cachet as the region has is
largely negative. Supermarkets sell grot wines from Bergerac very
cheaply and that's the public's image. In fact, I'd back a really good
Bergerac against a middle of the road bordeax Cru Classé any time
certainly at anything up to 50% more expensive.

> Perhaps someday I will find Les Verdots in a large city in the US. From the company distribution map,
>I see that they only distribute to Florida and California in the US, and I do not know which of their wines they send.

Would you like me to ask them for you? I'm pretty friendly with the
people there.

--
All the best
Fatty from Forges
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 05:32:17 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
wrote:

>WS shows 2003 Clos des Verdots, both blanc and rose, for $156. Seems a
>little steep for pink Bergerac to me, I'd assume this is mistaken
>listing- maybe it's a case.

Even for a case that's pretty heavy. I get Clos des Verdots at about
€4-5 a bottle. Call it $70 to $80 a case. And Clos de Verdots is their
bottom end wine. It's not at all bad, far from it and in fact the pink
was one of the wines I served for our 40th wedding anniversary to go
against some paté de campagne. The other was a Grand Cru Alsace
riesling. There are quite a few very surprised faces when they
actually found the pink gave them pleasure!

>I've never seen a Bergerac around here over $15, most are well under
>$10. I see mostly whites. The red Bergerac I've had were mostly from
>producers that seem to mostly be about volume- I'd assume Seigneurs de
>Bergerac is a co-op.

I'm not surprised. That's the equivalent price & quality point most
bulk sales take place here as well. It's really sad.

> Would love to try a "Super Bergerac."

I've got examples of the top or near top wines from all three of the
producers I rank as being at the very top. I've a few very good
bottles from the top of the second rank producers too. What can I say?
I can't bring them into the USA. If you have a "tame" importer, and
can get him to agree to add in a couple of cases of mixed "super
bergerac" wines to one of his shipments, and pay for them some way or
another then I'd happily advise him on what to get. I'm not sure I'd
recommend going for the top producers' very best wines, I think it's a
bit like hi fi, a large increase in price produces an improvement that
only the bats can hear. So I'd recommend the wines that WERE the tops
before the producers decided to make a layer above. These typically
retail from the producer at around the €15 to €18 a bottle or $22 to
$26. Naturally the top monbazillacs and saussignacs are more. As it
happens I was at Ch La Maurigne last week and their second best was at
€9 a 50cl bottle. Their very best "florilege" was at €25, but for a
wine that's comparable with the best from Sauternes, it's a snip.
--
All the best
Fatty from Forges

TN: Party like it's 1999 DaleW Wine 5 09-10-2009 05:08 AM
1999 Charles Joguet "Les Varennes du Grand Clos" santiago Wine 3 05-09-2009 11:15 PM
1999 Bordeaux MaxMustermann Wine 1 18-11-2005 06:57 AM
TN: 1999 DeSales Joe Rosenberg Wine 3 25-11-2004 01:51 PM
1999 Pavie Tom S Wine 13 07-09-2004 08:34 AM